IGNORED

You guys put any stock into the "Switch Pro in 2020" rumors?

ErickRPG

I think a Switch Pro is definitely going to happen, but releasing in summer 2020 seems like a poor decision. The Pro version probably won't be as powerful as the base Xbox One or PS4 and would be totally eclipsed by new consoles just a few months after release.

I think they should let the new console hype die down a bit and release in summer or fall of 2021. This would give them some breathing room and allow them to compare the Switch Pro to the standard Switch, rather than the ridiculously more powerful rivals. Also gives them a lot of press attention that may otherwise be stolen by Microsoft and Sony in a launch year.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

I think it would absolutely be bullshit if you had games that only worked for a switch pro. It will divide your library up. I think its foolish. The switch is what 3 years old or really not even for a couple more months? and you are going to tell all those people , hey you cant play the newest best stuff because you jumped on early on. The Switch had a huge lull in getting new games for awhile year 2, so basically only a couple years of new content then a new system? Id kinda be pissed off. If what they are saying with capability of playing larger games, that sure sounds like games wouldnt work on older switches. That would be garbage.

Nintendo pump out some first party stuff, and please no more old wii u ports.

Edited by Quest4Nes

They're definitely gonna continue with the Wii U ports considering the sale numbers of the Switch. I would be surprised if there wasn't a Switch Pro of some sort released this year. With the sale numbers, simply upgrading the hardware and a few other aspects would be a good idea. Think of how many 3DS consoles there were. I don't see much difference for the Switch and they already have the Lite version.

Although I've downloaded a few games I am still waiting for some good Nintendo first party/AAA stuff. Bayo 3, Prime 4, BoTW 2... come on in.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

Precisely what I was holding out for all along...I certainly want to see what the Switch Pro has to offer.  Hee hee if the Wii U sounds like a Wii that's going to college maybe the Switch Pro is a Switch that plays for the NFL and will come bundled with Madden! 😄 

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

I think it would absolutely be bullshit if you had games that only worked for a switch pro. It will divide your library up. I think its foolish. The switch is what 3 years old or really not even for a couple more months? and you are going to tell all those people , hey you cant play the newest best stuff because you jumped on early on. The Switch had a huge lull in getting new games for awhile year 2, so basically only a couple years of new content then a new system? Id kinda be pissed off. If what they are saying with capability of playing larger games, that sure sounds like games wouldnt work on older switches. That would be garbage.

There's only like 2 left to get to.  Just let them push em out so we can play 'em and you can throw the old system in the trash

4k support would be nice, esp if it is added into older titles.  Bigger carts is BS thought.  Switch can already support larger carts, but hardly anyone is making them due to costs.

Personally I’d love an OLED screen, but the Switch’s screen is already quite good.

1 hour ago, fox said:

Bigger carts is BS thought.  Switch can already support larger carts, but hardly anyone is making them due to costs.

That’s what I figured. It doesn’t make sense any which way. 

5 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

That would be total garbage I agree. But if the games are larger in data size I see no reason they would not work in original Switch. If it’s a different cartridge format, again there is no way that makes sense with still calling it the same platform. 

It might be cool to see an updated console with better CPU (less framerate issues) and metal body, but that whole cartridge thing alone makes me think there is nothing to these rumors. I hope we find out sooner than later. I don’t have a Switch yet and this kind of stuff makes me question if I should keep waiting or not. Very annoying from the other side too, and I’m missing out on Mario Maker.

No.

Making a new system takes time and money, and the switch is selling gangbusters, so why bother. Remember the Game Boy? It sold really well, we didnt see the gameboy pocket until 7 years later. Look at the Wii, it sold really well and there wasn't any updated system, except maybe the wii mini bit that was a downgrade and didnt even release in the us. And those played the original games. If you're thinking something like the New 3DS that had games that didnt play on the old unit, that was 4 years after the original, but they needed something to tide you over while the WiiU sold like shit. If the switch is doing well, theres no reason to divide the market like that. At most you'll see an updated console thats a little bit faster and has a bit more memory for storing games. The library will stay the same.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

I think it will be a mid-cycle refresh comparable to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. All games will play on bother versions of the console, but the best place to play will be on the Pro. Nintendo is a lot stricter on third parties than Sony and Microsoft, so I don't think we'll get any disasters where the base version is nearly unplayable (couch cough Control cough cough).

So I'm excited! I'd love to play the more system-taxing games with better framerates. I just hope they don't do something weird like make the improvement dock-only. 😑

I honestly don't see it happening anytime soon, but even if it does, I'm pretty comfortable saying that it will be done in a way that people who don't upgrade will still have access to the full library of games similar to the way Sony handled the PS4 Pro.  

If they handle it that way, I will have no issues.  I just doubt that I would upgrade anytime soon.  

• Like 1

Nintendo is still enjoying strong sales with the standard switch and the lite version. A new product would not introduce new sales, it would just take away from sales that are already happening with their current products.

Even if they have a complete switch pro design ready to go to the market today, they are probably going to keep it in the back pocket until the current console sales start to slow down a little.

Edited by phart010

3 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Nintendo is still enjoying strong sales with the standard switch and the lite version. A new product would not introduce new sales, it would just take away from sales that are already happening with their current products.

Even if they have a complete switch pro design ready to go to the market today, they are probably going to keep it in the back pocket until the current console sales start to slow down a little.

Nintendo has always been good at milking all the profits that they can from their current gen hardware.  The only way I could see them releasing yet another system is if they released a Switch capable of 4k output with a good scalar, and minimal lag, but still required that all developers make games compatible with the current Switch/Switch Lite.

Nintendo is not going to anger the parents that finally got a Switch Lite for their kids this Christmas, only to see them release a new system (regardless of it's name) that's going to have games come out on it that they can't use on less-than-one-year old hardware.

Definitely 95+% of games will be cross compatible in order to ease the transition.

A switch pro will need a strong lineup of 6-10 titles that take advantage of pro capabilities on day one. You’ll hear leaks from some developers about their pro titles as we approach the pro launch date. 

Then again if enough leaks come out, Nintendo may as well announce it themselves just so that we’d hear it from them before it becomes too obvious.

Don't believe anything until it comes straight from Nintendo's mouth. I don't know how long there have been rumors of the Metroid Trilogy being ported to the Switch, how many announcements were supposed to be made and haven't actually proven true or how many times the next game from Rocksteady was going to be announced. I don't put stock into rumors, I only believe something once the company involved actually says something. 

19 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Although I've downloaded a few games I am still waiting for some good Nintendo first party/AAA stuff. Bayo 3, Prime 4, BoTW 2... come on in.

Metroid prime 4 is not looking good considering they scrapped the entire project a year or so ago. I think we'll see an announcement of a Switch pro along side of BOTW 2 like we did with Majora's mask and the expansion pak.

• Like 1

I don't watch bait videos but I heard about the headline.

Do I think there's stock in it, definitely.

Why?  Easy.  Nintendo learned a hard lesson when the WiiU nearly ruined them and they killed off their console R&D over that disaster.  They learned they can't play on an even field, nor can they make a console to compete niche or otherwise especially if games can't be brought to it easy and fast which WiiU did none of.  Switch though is a handheld, it can pretend to be a console and do 1080 in that mode, but it is what it is.  The device also was made incredibly stupid easy to get ports because it can use all the modern popular game engines out there to get ports within reason to the hardware.  Look at what they've had out that never would have happened otherwise and respectfully speaking hadn't got since really the Gamecube era and SNES before that.

With the PS5 and all that on the way the gap widens once more soon enough, they can't be stuck getting only their own stuff, indie things, and watered down IP titles that aren't conversions to mobile.  To do this you need a PRO unit, they're going to do what they've done since the 90s with handhelds, make a PRO, a deluxe, a color, an 'i' a 'new ...' version of their system.  Perhaps it'll be the TegraX2 and double to four times the RAM, maybe costs are down now enough for 64GB or 128GB legit OEM game cards.  Whatever the case you'll get your Gameboy Color/Ds/New3DS boost  in a Switch Pro.  They HAVE to do it so they can keep getting third party love and respect from new content and ported conversion quality content.  That well will dry up if they don't once the PS4/X0 are retired into the dust in another year to two tops effectively once they're pushed off the market by the new model.

Switch torn down we've seen, the entire thing like like electronic legos, it's all modular and pop n' swap for parts, better bigger parts.  Tegra, Ram, wifi module, blue tooth module, storage capacity, battery vs compartment for it, all have easy space/choice for more.  It would not cost them a world of hurt to remodel and upgrade keeping the stock standard price, and all in the end it would cost them is making new game boxes to differentiate what needs the Pro, optionally needs it, or doesn't at all.  3DS and old GBC did this very clearly.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 8:13 PM, Quest4Nes said:

What I've said from the very start.  The Switch must be itself and have its own blue chip exclusive games.  There's already a WiiU.

9 hours ago, phart010 said:

Definitely 95+% of games will be cross compatible in order to ease the transition.

A switch pro will need a strong lineup of 6-10 titles that take advantage of pro capabilities on day one. You’ll hear leaks from some developers about their pro titles as we approach the pro launch date. 

Then again if enough leaks come out, Nintendo may as well announce it themselves just so that we’d hear it from them before it becomes too obvious.

And if thats the case Id be pissed off if those games were pro switch only, if they were good games. Im sure any first party games nintendo in house would make them work on everything.

10 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

Nintendo won't make any games Pro only.  But I can see the Pro enticing third parties with some pro exclusives.  Honestly I'd rather get a Switch Pro than a PS5 at this point.  Sony or MS really don't have any exclusives that are worth it IMO.

Why not?  They did it for the 3DS, barely for DSi, and a lot for the GB Color.  There's no reason not to because you can make hybrids that'll cross over but perform better, and then you really tap that processor/memory setup and you can go nuts on a new tier of quality.  Given it is a handheld and their history shows they do this with handhelds, I would find it more unbelievable if they didn't do it.  This isn't just a console where you squeak out something a bit nicer in quality but keep it going anyway on the old like PS4 vs Pro, it's not even in the realm of that things price either.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Why not?  They did it for the 3DS, barely for DSi, and a lot for the GB Color.  There's no reason not to because you can make hybrids that'll cross over but perform better, and then you really tap that processor/memory setup and you can go nuts on a new tier of quality.  Given it is a handheld and their history shows they do this with handhelds, I would find it more unbelievable if they didn't do it.  This isn't just a console where you squeak out something a bit nicer in quality but keep it going anyway on the old like PS4 vs Pro, it's not even in the realm of that things price either.

I mean it is possible.  I guess I should elaborate what I'm feeling.  I mean I don't think they will make any of their major exclusives like BOTW 2 as Pro only.  Another thing to remember, The New 3DS was still underpowered compared to their consoles.  So even the port of Xenoblade Chronicles had to be downgraded.  With a possible Switch Pro it's different.  There is nothing they can port from their past catalogue that the Standard switch itself can't handle.  So they would have to develop a brand new game for Pro only.  And think about it.  Are they really doing to develop a 1st party game that only 15% of their install base can play?  It's just not gonna happen.

Edited by ErickRPG