IGNORED

Most expensive game you’ve completed on original hardware

GPX

13 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

You have a TGM2 board? That's dope, I'm jealous of that. What do they go for now?

I'm not sure really, I've seen them sold recently for $1000? I got mine before the game was first showcased at GDQ, but it jumped a lot after that.

When I bought my board it was a bit of a gamble, because I wasn't sure I'd get much play out of it in the first place, due to the dumb assumption that game is only "for experts" (which I think really isn't the case). Ironically it's been the the, by far, most played of any of my arcade games. It's just so hard to put down once you start playing! Clearing the game for the first time was an amazing experience. Still working on getting the M grade.

Hell, as much as I don't like to support inflated video game prices, I wouldn't deny that the game might easily be worth $1000, it's just that good XD

Edited by Sumez

38 minutes ago, chromableedstudios said:

If Tetris is expensive compared to cave pcbs in your book please direct me to the hookup!

Sure, there's stuff like SDOJ, Ibara Kuro, and that "home" version of Akai Katana that are completely balls-out.

But none of the Cave games I've bought have cost more than $1000. Fortunately XD

Edited by Sumez

16 hours ago, Sumez said:

If only console games count, I guess maybe Adventure Island IV, Recca, Mr. Gimmick? I'm really not sure which one is more expensive.

Famicom or PAL NES Gimmick? Both are pricey, but the NES one is like twice as much.

Famicom Gimmick I think is slightly more than Recca.

I have beaten Recca, but it was on a bootleg cartridge.

38 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Famicom or PAL NES Gimmick? Both are pricey, but the NES one is like twice as much.

If you got a nice CIB Famicom Gimmick for me, I'd probably trade my CB NES copy straight over in a heartbeat.

(though I guess a more sound strategy would be buying a FC one now, and hold on to the NES one for a few more years)

Edited by Sumez

18 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

Probably a mint complete copy of Rayearth for US Saturn.  And I was using an OSSC and RGB connection.  The game cost me $350.  It's probably $500+ now as I see US saturn RPGs have gone up again recently.

Best game on the saturn, and yeah it's definitely gotten more expensive again

I'm considering anything I've come across over the years here, not just first hand buys of the era.  Strangely enough or not I guess, it's Neo-Geo, because I've had other expensive stuff but got deals on it.  I don't remember the price though, but I did get both Super Dodgeball and Garou Mark of the Wolves in a bundle for I think no more than $300, Garou I did finish as it's just a fighting game after all.

All truth there is to it, I've got stuff worth more but paid less, so it's hard to be certain, but I've rarely paid or flipped into a paypal fund off budget to buy stuff of a higher value, or trade of fair value either.  Technically though if any 'game' counts my home use Pin-Bot machine was $1500 which though was all trade of 10 NES+SNES games to cover it. 😄

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Garou I did finish as it's just a fighting game after all.

Considering the standard for end bosses in SNK fighting games I wouldn't call the feat completing them "just a fighting game". It takes true skill to make it unscathed through any SNK fighter! 🙂 

Btw a functional Pinbot for $1500 is a really good deal! (how do you "complete" it though?)

Edited by Sumez

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

Considering the standard for end bosses in SNK fighting games I wouldn't call the feat completing them "just a fighting game". It takes true skill to make it unscathed through any SNK fighter! 🙂 

Btw a functional Pinbot for $1500 is a really good deal! (how do you "complete" it though?)

Well yeah I guess on SNK, I'm kind of used to it.  People call Samurai Shodown III nasty but I used to make that games boss my bitch daily in high school and I can still play it fairly well.

Pin-Bot, it's pinball, they have rules.  Sure it's like arcade with a high score variable beating the built in high score ranks (which I have.)  But the game rules say to do this or that, and the big rule on Pin-Bot is that planetary spiral in the middle of the play field.  If you can get a truly rare lucky game on that where it doesn't tank balls for sport and you can make the run all the way to the sun it has a special piece of music, light sequence, a little reward for the efforts.  That's truly taking down that table from a things to do perspective beyond the high score.  I've done it, once maybe twice, I forget, the game is evil.

23 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

Chrono Trigger or Earthbound, but I had them when they were new. Does that count? 

Same here - while I have lots of games that are now ridiculously priced I bought them back in the day so I paid normal prices  (either new or used) for them.   (I think the most I have ever paid for a game was $225 for a copy of Blue Chicago Blues for the laseractive.)

Probably either Tomba for PS1, or De Zaak van Sam (a very obscure Dutch FMV game) for CD-i.

I suppose Blackthorne and Kolibri for 32X are somewhere in there too, as is the Tengen version of Marble Madness for Genesis/Mega Drive.

I don't know how much the Super Fighter Team releases like Beggar Prince and Star Odyssey are going for these days, but I did those too.