IGNORED

NES's 35th Anniversay

Mario_Friend1982

NES Launch window titles  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which NES North American launch window title is the best?

• 10-Yard Fight
    • Baseball
    • Clu Clu Land
    • Duck Hunt (bundled with the Deluxe Set)
    • Excitebike
    • Golf
    • Gyromite (bundled with the Deluxe Set)
    • Hogan's Alley
    • Ice Climber
    • Kung Fu
    • Mach Rider
    • Pinball
    • Soccer
    • Stack-Up
    • Super Mario Bros.
    • Tennis
    • Wild Gunman
    • Wrecking Crew

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had Hogan's Alley as a kid and I thought it was a fun game with the regular mode, the city mode and the can trick shooting. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Duck Hunt as an honorable mention. Everyone I knew as a kid with a NES had the Action Set with the SMB/Duck Hunt cart and Duck Hunt probably got played almost as much as SMB especially after everyone beat SMB.

We played a lot of Duck Hunt as well (specifically clay pigeons, after a while), but after the initial fascination wore off, we found it to be better for running up an obscene score (or seeing who could run up the most obscene score) but lacking compared to the gameplay (and reaction time required) of Hogan's Alley.

7 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

We played a lot of Duck Hunt as well (specifically clay pigeons, after a while), but after the initial fascination wore off, we found it to be better for running up an obscene score (or seeing who could run up the most obscene score) but lacking compared to the gameplay (and reaction time required) of Hogan's Alley.

Hogan's Alley probably is the better overall game, but I'd personally still go with Duck Hunt. I played it long enough in one sitting to get to the kill screen after Round 99 so I do enjoy it. 

I think the deal is with Duck Hunt is that is just gets old and fast, very little variety other than add a duck and arcing clay targets.  Hogan's Alley though was the zapper game as you have the lined up target shooting indoors, the police academy training course with the city scape that changed, and then the tricky can shots trying to spin them onto that lowest ledge for max points.  I put a lot of time on both but the alley would win out in the end.

Maybe do a new thread voting on the best black box shooting (or overall) game?

I only saw Hogan’s Alley in the arcade. Everybody had Duck Hunt, because it came with SMB /Action Set. Could have been the other way around, but I think Nintendo decided, imo wisely at the time, that Duck Hunt was more family friendly. My mom was upset enough over Mario and Link DYING, and KILLING  goombahs and moblins, I’m pretty sure encountering and shooting human criminals (and accidentally—or intentionally, as kids try to learn subversion—old ladies and police officers) would not go over well with her in the living room where our only TV was and she observed all. Point being, I didn’t really get to play Hogan’s Alley. Duck Hunt was always there. Most people with my experience are gonna go for Duck Hunt, even though Hogan’s Alley has a little more to it.

It's interesting that Duck Hunt was a pack in with the Deluxe Set and the Action Set. Luckily, I got the gray Zapper Action Set a year later with SMB/Duck Hunt and I still play it 33 years later. If I had gotten a Deluxe Set, I would have been bored with Gyromite in 5 minutes and after Duck Hunt got old, I may have never picked up a NES controller again and kept doing my gaming at the local arcade.

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I think the deal is with Duck Hunt is that is just gets old and fast, very little variety other than add a duck and arcing clay targets.  Hogan's Alley though was the zapper game as you have the lined up target shooting indoors, the police academy training course with the city scape that changed, and then the tricky can shots trying to spin them onto that lowest ledge for max points.  I put a lot of time on both but the alley would win out in the end.

Maybe do a new thread voting on the best black box shooting (or overall) game?

Done!