IGNORED

NES's 35th Anniversay

Mario_Friend1982

NES Launch window titles  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which NES North American launch window title is the best?

• 10-Yard Fight
    • Baseball
    • Clu Clu Land
    • Duck Hunt (bundled with the Deluxe Set)
    • Excitebike
    • Golf
    • Gyromite (bundled with the Deluxe Set)
    • Hogan's Alley
    • Ice Climber
    • Kung Fu
    • Mach Rider
    • Pinball
    • Soccer
    • Stack-Up
    • Super Mario Bros.
    • Tennis
    • Wild Gunman
    • Wrecking Crew

But wasn't fall 1985 a very limited "test launch" in NYC and maybe a few other places and the "real" launch nationwide wasn't till what, February-ish 1986?  I mean we all know at the time we just a couple years removed from the video game crash and thus retailers were VERY reluctant to Take A Chance on Video Games (as ABBA would say) again.  Why do you think games came on "Nintendo tapes" and went in and out like a VCR?  It was so funny renting an NES game back in the day and the receipt would remind you to please rewind tapes...I don't think you can rewind a Nintendo tape!! 😄

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

Super Mario Bros is the best, that is the game that got me into Nintendo to begin with. But decided since that was too obvious and well outclassed everything else to give another game my vote, Kung Fu. If there weren't a SMB that would be my favorite, it wouldn't have gotten me into wanting an NES back in the day but if it came bundled with it instead of SMB I would have enjoyed it and it would have become a favorite over time.

2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I, too, went for SMB, but my non-Mario vote would have gone to Hogan's Alley.  There were a lot of good games in the bunch, but Hogan's Alley always brought my friends and I back time and again while other titles would get forgotten about and/or discarded for months and months at a time.

I had Hogan's Alley as a kid and I thought it was a fun game with the regular mode, the city mode and the can trick shooting. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Duck Hunt as an honorable mention. Everyone I knew as a kid with a NES had the Action Set with the SMB/Duck Hunt cart and Duck Hunt probably got played almost as much as SMB especially after everyone beat SMB.