IGNORED

Aren’t we due for some next gen light gun technology?

phart010

We have such good graphics available nowadays not only from big developers, but also from Indies.

One of the issues with light gun technologies in the past was lack of developers making titles and also the general accuracy/lag of the technology. 

I feel like we are at a point now that if we had ultra accurate, ultra responsive light gun technology for switch or any major platform, it would take off. Not to mention, but giant TVs are now very affordable.

Aren’t we due for some new light guns?

Edited by phart010

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always been a pretty niche genre, even back in the NES era. Yeah, everyone played Duck Hunt, but usually for a few minutes.

I think part of the reason is that most games for it are a fairly static screen gameplay type. It's kind of hard to move around with a gun in your hand, whereas most FPS allow shooting while moving, strafing, etc., with just a controller.

That being said, I'd love to see some innovative takes on the gameplay.

19 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Light guns exist on the PS3/4 and the Xbox Kinect had some stuff. I play light gun games on PS3 like House of the Dead every so often, and it works perfectly well. 

I was totally not aware that PS4 has a lightgun. Obviously it works with lcd screens.. Is there any lag?

Administrator · Posted
Just now, phart010 said:

I was totally not aware that PS4 has a lightgun. Obviously it works with lcd screens.. Is there any lag?

It's just the PS Move from the PS3. I'm not entirely certain if it's actually used in any lightgun games on the PS4 outside of VR, if even on there. I just know it functions on the PS4.

The Wii sensor bar style light gun just never worked as well as a proper CRT lightgun setup. The motion just never tracked correctly on a consistent enough basis. I was at an arcade where they had replaced some monitors with LCDs (sacrilege) and done the conversion on some of their light gun games and they just absolutely sucked in comparison to the ones that still had the original equipment. It sucks cuz combined with either an on gun joystick for moving around, headtracking, or VR, it could be really cool and new experience. I just picture one day doing the real life version of Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions and smile.