IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

18 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

As a legendary bandit-turned-hero person who sometimes enjoys a good mystery, I wish you luck and hope to see it. I can only hope that my good luck does not affect you. Because so far I found this one announcement video I did recall seeing in 2016 by accident, and got a few nice goodies for both the Dragon Quest VI and Dragon Quest X ends of my collection. 🙂

Well I can report back, it half worked out.  I got the stuff, see the image at the bottom.  I'm upset about it, because basically the expensive one of the 2, the board was fucked, the contact pad for they battery was ripped off and I've never seen that.  I tried to handle it for an hour with no luck, and there was funk on the board, solder...someone screwed it up, maybe that guy playing dumb.  Emerald it's dead, but I'll try and recoup the $20 selling the shell/sticker even battered it's worth that much as I sold an empty pikachu one for $15.  Sapphire though, I repaired that one with a new battery, it's perfectly functional.

Being out, I was like whatever, hit a few more places.  I found that nice yummy iPod Classic 160GB unit for $20, untested, but was able to find an old charger for a dollar and boom, works perfectly with a nice charge that lasts.  Those things seem collectable worth $150-200 range.  And then at this overstock store close by, that arcade1up, dude lied said it was new, it's not, no manual has a high score on it...but it was $60 so I can't complain, they're $150 new.

jun18finds.jpg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

And finally, I got my strategy guide white whale. Obviously there are other strategy guides that are worth more... this isn't the grail of strategy guides by any means. But it's the one that I was really unhappy about not having already. I remember when this was going for $30-ish pre-COVID and I passed on it because I read something online about the guide having some mistakes. Later as I got more serious about collecting strategy guides, I realized that was a dumb reason to pass on it. And of course now it's hard to find. So yeah, I spent more than I wanted to on this but it was one of those things that I was willing to buy if I could just find it. And now I have it. 

That's all for now!

At least you got it now, Gotcha Force is an absolute amazing game.

Threat of rain despite it just not going quite low enough to the flea put me off going down there, and did local garage sales in a neighborhood wide bit instead.  Game wise, zilch but a few wonky common titles no older than PS1 and a big dirty stash of 2600 junk so I left it.  I did get finally another light I'm happy to have in my room, one of those typically workbench style long neck things with springs, now my whole room lights up, and found 5 mini stacking red bins, great for my GBA games on end and 3 towards all the GB-A accessories which was sweet.

What really did it though, mail call x2 Friday, an import from a domestic seller on Gameboy -- NooBow which is super fun, I've had it in the past, I guess considered probably easy, but it's a slow moving puzzle adventure, very fluid and unique, youtube it see what I mean.

Today, (grr I *hate* customs out of O'Hare) finally after sitting north of here for nearly 4 weeks I got a nice package in the mail from Taiwan and within this... a brand new GameKing II I had the pleasure of being the first user of.  Got a slick deal for $20, and let me tell you, do NOT believe that QC sheet in the image, would not surprise me if that guy ended up in a camp, or was working at one.  I had to open it up because bad design makes the screen almost unusable with that little colored transparency you see in the pic.  Opening it, all 3 wires to the batteries popped, one of them at both ends, soldering hell commence.

Why did I want something this weird?  It's unique, it has a low large pixel density more similar to a Pokemon Mini or other larger scale LCD keychain thing, refresh isn't bad, but the oddity, the audio, it's like all digitally sampled music, sfx, voice capable.  The system has 3 clones built in ripping off Adventure Island, 1942/3, and Bomberman (and the Ai clone plays Vampire Killer!  That's a win right there.)  THe other cart, four more games on there, only tried one, a car platformer thing sorta blast master-ish meets moon patrol I guess, wasn't bad.  It has dozens of games, if you can find them, as this was an asian, spain, france, italy thing mostly yet manual is like in 8 languages.

Also I've attached a lot of images, have fun with the awesome Engrish, point out your favorites. 😄

GameKingII-1.JPG

GameKingII-2.JPG

GameKingII-3.JPG

GameKingII-4.JPG

GameKingII-5.JPG

GameKingII-6.JPG

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

...the board was fucked, the contact pad for they battery was ripped off and I've never seen that.  I tried to handle it for an hour with no luck, and there was funk on the board, solder...someone screwed it up...

Reminds me I also got a Pokemon emerald with the battery pad similarly ripped off and solder dripped all over the pins thus shorting them. The positive pad was ripped off on mine which is a bitch to fix. If it was the negative pad it would have been much easier.

q2yyow5.jpg

I managed to fix it though. First I cleaned up the solder mess and then carefully bridged the 2 tiny points on the board where the positive pad connects to. The guy I got it from said the battery wouldn't stick no matter how much flux he used. But that's because the pad was completely gone.

ARYcD5U.jpg

It's not pretty but it did the job. I just shudder to think about the next battery change lol.

In hindsight I probably should have used magnet wire but I didn't have any at the time.

@Tanooki If you're interested maybe I can try fixing your game? Let me know!

Edited by bowser
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

23 minutes ago, RH said:

In my 5 years of collecting, I finally got a real steal of a score.

IZ0hKGV.jpg

• $15 for the Wii and game
  • $35 for all of the Atari stuff
  • $20 for all of the PS1 stuff

I nearly fainted.

Great haul! Those Playstation titles, Awoooooo. The 2600 Jr is so cute tooooooo.

Edited by drxandy

4AD78C2D-2E8E-4317-80AC-D93072BDF535.jpeg.6b0af2659f0793b3c709bce0ed3d71bb.jpeg

I got these 2 at the local game store today. Tennis has been a game I have been on the look out for a very long time, but I could never find it. It’s a 5 screw version. Joust had sticker residue but I cleaned it off with just my finger as there wasn’t too much.

Would have picked up more but the store had a time limit on how long you can be in there for, and I didn’t get a good look at all the games. Definitely going back next week to pick up a few titles that I did see but didn’t get. Donkey Kong 3 being one of them as I actually put it down, and I regret not getting it today.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, bowser said:

Reminds me I also got a Pokemon emerald with the battery pad similarly ripped off and solder dripped all over the pins thus shorting them. The positive pad was ripped off on mine which is a bitch to fix. If it was the negative pad it would have been much easier.

I managed to fix it though. First I cleaned up the solder mess and then carefully bridged the 2 tiny points on the board where the positive pad connects to. The guy I got it from said the battery wouldn't stick no matter how much flux he used. But that's because the pad was completely gone.

It's not pretty but it did the job. I just shudder to think about the next battery change lol.

In hindsight I probably should have used magnet wire but I didn't have any at the time.

@Tanooki If you're interested maybe I can try fixing your game? Let me know!

Nope, not pretty at all, but at least I wasn't crazy in what I had attempted.  Right there where you scratched off near R7 is what I tried to do as it was the same ripped pad.  I hadn't thought of using a little resistor or some bit of metal/wire to try and run it.  I had used some cleaning to get the board bare where the pad had been and tried to re-adhere it with a dot of super glue gel, which seemed fine.  Problem was nothing I could do could get solder to reach where I tried to scratch it, and even when I eventually (repeatedly) got it there, it still didn't strangely connect.  It was just fighting and fighting similar efforts.  But I mean there was solder splash down on the damned pins.  I tried ways to remove that with zero luck.  I had to basically re-tin the connectors silver, which before I got to the battery did actually work which surprised me.  THe board was just jacked, nothing would play nice and I pitched it, yeah I pitched a partly dead $100 game...it was glitching, not seeing the battery, and just looked wrecked by a tool.  BOTH pokemon game shells were also cracked at the screw post at the top, so the dilbert got aggressive there too.  I'm basically going to just sell sapphire under valued despite the new battery due to the cracking, and then the emerald shell for like $10-20 something in case someone wants something better than nothing as I don't feel right pitching it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm still very slowly adding to my Sega stuff when opportunities arise. Big thanks to @final fight cd.

IMG_20210619_192128__01.jpg.cedecba961f63e170cdbceee9b66255a.jpg

I never got around to playing FF7R, so figured now is as good a time as any.

IMG_20210619_233121.jpg.59174a77c79756c2d569d2b2ea7cf8b4.jpg

How did you get that steelbook, @DoctorEncore. I love steelbook cases but hadn't seen one for the PS5 re-release. Inquiring minds...;)

Edited by Renmauzo
  • Like 1

A bunch of nice things came in from Japan on Friday. Sorry, a bunch of these things are really just video game-adjacent, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread, I'm just really excited with what came in.

To start off, here are a few pickups throughout the week. I'm pretty intrigued by this Game Builder Garage.

GrtMNAEtRuSuSOLCQ4s2WQ.jpg.8dd58d2c0b65fe05458cd57e472f3e44.jpg

It's been a long, long time coming for me to finally pick up a complete Rockman & Forte SFC. i honestly just never wanted to pay the asking price for some stubborn reason which is almost never a factor when I buy games. In this case I got it for half the going rate because the seller said it didn't work; I knew I could get it to work no matter the perceived problem, and in this case, it just needed to be cleaned.

I love the Boku no Natsuyasumi (My Summer Vacation) series. I started off with 3, imported 4 when it came out, and found out later that Sony had released 2 on PSP and bought that. What I didn't know was that the first game had also been ported to PSP from the PS1, so I finally got the last one I needed. Of all the series' people talk about wishing made a comeback (Nintendo or Sony properties), this series tops the list for me.

And then there's Dimitri. I'm a big Darkstalkers/Vampire Chronicle fan, and I've been waiting/hoping for a figure like this for ages. So much so that I've made my own custom Darkstalkers figures a little over a decade ago.

l4Iay9RiSbaJNcoss1M7HQ.jpg.0eb46d1030177890976a2940ec7a26b0.jpg

...and that's where the games end. Some of what I was excited for most though came in the form of music. I was able to get the Chrono Orchestra CD set for half price the NA version, and I picked up all the Chrono themed music boxes. These look and sound beautiful, and with Mitsuda being my favorite composer, I bit the bullet and paid the toll to get them. Other than that, I had the Chrono Cross clock from my pre-order of the game but gave it to my brother who ended up loving the game far more than I did. My wife and I where talking about having a clock in the game room and we both thought of that CC clock, so I picked up another with the CC Squaresoft slide puzzle rulers being a nice little bonus.

2uApPjNJQTSIueuE4HxP-g.jpg.edc88a1322c285391879acc81bb80dbc.jpg

Lastly, I had pre-ordered the Xenogears Structure Arts some time ago and they just release recently, arriving on Friday. I'm all in for anything Xenogears related; it's my favorite game of all time, so I was really happy to learn of all the things Square Enix were doing for the 20th anniversary a couple years back, and this was a nice post-20th surprise. Gotta get that 20th anniversary concert music box though...

9FJT6zDSQ0CSeoPy11ZglA.jpg.b42edf092a0dca7419f04a26adbb5bc9.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck on the hunt!

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1

32 minutes ago, Renmauzo said:

I love the Boku no Natsuyasumi (My Summer Vacation) series. I started off with 3, imported 4 when it came out, and found out later that Sony had released 2 on PSP and bought that. What I didn't know was that the first game had also been ported to PSP from the PS1, so I finally got the last one I needed. Of all the series' people talk about wishing made a comeback (Nintendo or Sony properties), this series tops the list for me.

Same! But… you know there’s a new one? It uses the characters from Crayon Shin-Chan and it’s on Switch. Japan only right now but the developer said they hope to do a localization in Europe. 

Also there’s some guys working on a translation patch for the PSP game! It’s already underway.

• Wow! 1

8 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Same! But… you know there’s a new one? It uses the characters from Crayon Shin-Chan and it’s on Switch. Japan only right now but the developer said they hope to do a localization in Europe. 

Also there’s some guys working on a translation patch for the PSP game! It’s already underway.

Miami Slice...you just made my day!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renmauzo said:

How did you get that steelbook, @DoctorEncore. I love steelbook cases but hadn't seen one for the PS5 re-release. Inquiring minds...;)

GameStop!

For some reason it wasn't really advertised, but I read a story about it, so I took a chance. I'm not sure if it is preorder only or what the deal is. Here is a question someone posted on the page:

Screenshot_20210620-101329.jpg.e4c5f35167ba0c708beb20804a07e6f1.jpg

I'd recommend calling around although I suspect so the employees already grabbed them to resell on eBay. I hate GameStop.

I'm so far behind on posting what's new.  I got stuff shoved everywhere but here is some of the most recent stuff.

pickups_june2021_1.jpg.36ec38c6e2d16a7a4201f16f2be0bdd4.jpg

Got all these last weekend at GameStop.  They had a 5 for $50 on games under $20.  So glad I waited on Trials of Mana, cause now I got both versions for less than the regular price of one of them.

pickups_june2021_2.jpg.39395a4b26015039eb0a29207e6d557f.jpg

Resident Evil was great, already finished one playthrough.  I got FFVII Remake and the preorder case, however I may not even open it.  I want to get those last 3 trophies I need on the PS4 version so I can auto pop another Plat on the PS5 version, but the last ones may be beyond me.  I really want to try Ratchet and Clank, but my son's birthday is next month, and I'm going to save it for that.

• Like 6

On 6/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, Matt 4120 said:

4AD78C2D-2E8E-4317-80AC-D93072BDF535.jpeg.6b0af2659f0793b3c709bce0ed3d71bb.jpeg

Would have picked up more but the store had a time limit on how long you can be in there for, and I didn’t get a good look at all the games. Definitely going back next week to pick up a few titles that I did see but didn’t get. Donkey Kong 3 being one of them as I actually put it down, and I regret not getting it today.

Can you elaborate please?  The store has a time limit?  Like they kick out paying customers after a set time?  Who’s monitoring this?  And why?

Latest batch.  More NES CIBs and boxes.  Finally snagged something new for my Lightspan collection.  Pretty pumped to add the Family Connection disc.  Those two lightspan manuals  are in a style I’m unfamiliar with.  Also my Suikoden train has been picking up steam.  Kind of went on a blitz and this art book was just the beginning.  

VhdI4Kv.jpg

9usTT2C.jpg

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

Can you elaborate please?  The store has a time limit?  Like they kick out paying customers after a set time?  Who’s monitoring this?  And why?

I’m just as confused as you are. The website for the store says (it said this while I was looking yesterday too) that they would “appreciate visits that are no longer than 10 minutes”, and that we should know what we are looking for. They weren’t allowing a ton of people into the store, I think it was a max of 4 in the video game side and 2 in the card side. My sister and I waited for a bit outside, probably longer than we were inside the store. Once we got in, an employee told us that we had a maximum of 10 minutes. That’s different than what was on the website...
The same employee who told us that we had a time limit appeared to have a timer of some sort, I really didn’t get a good look since I was busy rushing through the games.

As to why, I don’t know. I can speculate of course.

I also don’t know if they kick people out, as I was there briefly and the instance never came up.

Edit: just as I finish typing this, the website was changed a few times, as I was viewing it while typing. The first edit was changed to say a maximum of 10 minutes. The second edit and most current one says to be no longer than 10 minutes. How convenient. Oh well.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Matt 4120 said:

I’m just as confused as you are. The website for the store says (it said this while I was looking yesterday too) that they would “appreciate visits that are no longer than 10 minutes”, and that we should know what we are looking for. They weren’t allowing a ton of people into the store, I think it was a max of 4 in the video game side and 2 in the card side. My sister and I waited for a bit outside, probably longer than we were inside the store. Once we got in, an employee told us that we had a maximum of 10 minutes. That’s different than what was on the website...
The same employee who told us that we had a time limit appeared to have a timer of some sort, I really didn’t get a good look since I was busy rushing through the games.

As to why, I don’t know. I can speculate of course.

I also don’t know if they kick people out, as I was there briefly and the instance never came up.

Edit: just as I finish typing this, the website was changed a few times, as I was viewing it while typing. The first edit was changed to say a maximum of 10 minutes. The second edit and most current one says to be no longer than 10 minutes. How convenient. Oh well.

That’s so bizarre.  Maybe it’s a covid thing.

Seems like a deranged germophobe thing.  I wouldn't care what that store had, I wouldn't give them money if I was basically followed around with a stopwatch timer ticking away.  Maybe it's virus, maybe it's shady goods and want to not give the time to get a good look to realize it.  Super sketchy.

My speculation was that it was a money thing. The line ups are pretty long, so I assumed that this was a way to get as many people in and out to get as money as quickly as possible in the few hours they are open. I don’t know or care to know why they do this.

I should really start going to more stores. I’ve only ever been to this one since it’s the most popular and biggest in the area to my knowledge. I know where some others are located, but this one has alway been relatively “close” to me. Even then it’s still a long trip going down, that’s not even considering traffic. Maybe I’ll go farther this weekend depending on time.

Oh and they updated the website to now say “we would appreciate visits to be no longer than 10 minutes”, which was how it was when I visited on Saturday. Very strange.