IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

I was surprised t get a few goodies for Thanksgiving weekend!

Kwirk came in on Friday, and I've been very much addicted. It took me several months to find a really nice copy fully complete, but the wait was worth it; what a great puzzle game.

Otherwise, I took a trip to check out the pawnshop since it had been a while, and the manager told me they'd recently gotten a bunch of new stuff. I gravitated towards Chip n' Dale, and decided I needed to give TMNT another shot; my grievances with the game are from an 8 year old me, so I thought it was about time to approach this game now that I have more patience and skill.

C2jBBjgFR--HKLudascEpg.jpg.8d18a4ea62b59699b7df6b608fe9c981.jpg

The other things that came in along with Kwirk are Penguin Wars from Dispatch Games and the last 2 expansions I needed for the Talking Whiz Kid (I know, game adjacent at best, but I love it and my memories of it are kind of interwoven with NES for me).jNl8OL9CRgOxWGdWgvHMkQ.jpg.251d871fd7f2364f05f3a14a6957c94a.jpg

And with that, I'd like to wish all the Canadians here a Happy Thanksgiving, and a wonderful weekend to all the great people here from everywhere else!

• Like 9

Finally found a good deal out in the wild. Looked on Facebook marketplace and the seller had 44 NES games and a NES-101 with all hookups listed for $280. Took the deal. Found out the zapper was destroyed and had a SNES charger rather than an NES charger but overall it was a decent deal. I needed about 20 of the titles which finally puts me at 199 NES games (closing in on magical 200).IMG_0252.jpg.c2f0e7346e4420ef255b8387a5455e67.jpgIMG_0253.jpg.6f247acfb572b6ffde6b6dd7737dd0fd.jpg

• Like 9

A smattering of good stuff this week.

A couple common Sega CD games and a copy of Batman Returns in exceptionally good condition (it's actually standing on its own 😮).

jjdR3iF.jpeg

A couple more SMS games, a cheap copy of Wasteland, and the Metroid Dread Special Edition. Rampage seems like a solid port and Aztec Adventure is a surprisingly interesting action adventure that I'd never heard of until buying. The Metroid Dread pins were a GameStop preorder bonus.

RfkLDSl.jpeg

More Metroid Dread pics for those interested:

Spoiler

Back side

SuxNjRs.jpeg

Arrangement of box contents for future reference

yRq9u1z.jpeg

All contents

g7GVoAT.jpeg

Sme nice hidden designs on the cardboard insert

lI1x4C9.jpeg

The art book is awesome

4BtCsZw.jpeg

JLQj55j.jpeg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 12

So much winning here, but I can top it.  I got the wow mega rare not for resale with that star like little yellow sticker thing release of sonic 2 for the genesis.  Mind blowing, not sure how that happened, and for just $5 too. 😉

Truth be told went to half price to dump some old manga I didn't want to eat the FVF on the massive shipping weight, cashed out and saw that while waiting.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Tried out Kaze and Twin Dragons. Kaze has a better difficulty than I expected and is precise, but the jump is different. Something seems missing, might just be the graphical style. Twin Dragons is going to be better than I expected. The jump is a little low and stiff and the enemies take mulitple hits which is different, but I can tell this one is going to be solid.

20211012_184125~2.jpg

• Like 8

GameStop comes through for me again. The past two weeks they'd been running a trade in bonus on everything so I was hoping they might get some more older and uncommon games. The Lunar 2 was sitting in the back for a couple days and the employee only brought it out when I asked about "retro" games. It is complete with all the extras and was $40. The Yo-kai Watch 3 was found a couple days later for $50, still a decent deal. The NP Advance was from eBay and I'm happy to get such a nice copy as this was the magazine walkthrough I used 20 years ago playing Golden Sun for the first time.

IMG_20211012_165727620~2.jpg

IMG_20211012_165248283~2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow! 4

15 hours ago, Aguy said:

GameStop comes through for me again. The past two weeks they'd been running a trade in bonus on everything so I was hoping they might get some more older and uncommon games. The Lunar 2 was sitting in the back for a couple days and the employee only brought it out when I asked about "retro" games. It is complete with all the extras and was $40. The Yo-kai Watch 3 was found a couple days later for $50, still a decent deal. The NP Advance was from eBay and I'm happy to get such a nice copy as this was the magazine walkthrough I used 20 years ago playing Golden Sun for the first time.

IMG_20211012_165727620~2.jpg

That Lunar 2 from Gamestop is probably the best thing to come out of that store in a decade. Big congrats on that one.

• Like 1

@Aguyshocking, gamestop...wish mine around here weren't just their usual stock standard awfulness as that would be motivation for me to pop in daily to find that stuff but people all turn it over here at half price books more than anywhere else.  Lunar 2 would be a boon and that price is giving it away.

Also agree on NPA there, I've got the set of 4 from in the day, not my originals but got likewise as nice replacements.  I did too use the guides for that, Castlevania COTM, and definitely Advance Wars.  That magazine was depressing when they killed it after just 4 as it was in a way like having old NP mag back with the big thick full game walkthroughs done on an issue or few.

• Like 1

I don't have an image, not that it's really all that important, but I grabbed for like $6-7 forgot exactly yesterday the big box Star Wars X-Wing Collector's CD and it was all complete in there with the box, few extras too from the Dark Forces box, which they had, I already have one.  Kind of tempted to grab that though as my box is a big jacked up and it's missing some inserts and the cardboard white bracket for the jewel case.

I was happy to find the extra catalog for XW, but better yet was this awesome booklet/catalog/preview mini magazine called the Adventurer which they used to do(totally forgot) it has some really sweet stuff in there.  Stories, interviews, q&a, a color one full page Sam & Max comic strip, kenner toys of the mid 90s, various games (pc, mac, ps1, saturn, n64) too which is nice to see.  SUre it's an ad book in the end, but a well done one worth browsing.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 8:56 PM, Californication said:

Tried out Kaze and Twin Dragons. Kaze has a better difficulty than I expected and is precise, but the jump is different. Something seems missing, might just be the graphical style. Twin Dragons is going to be better than I expected. The jump is a little low and stiff and the enemies take mulitple hits which is different, but I can tell this one is going to be solid.

20211012_184125~2.jpg

An update on Twin Dragons. The game is really good. I'm on the fourth area and it has a nice difficulty that ramps. This is the first game I've played that I think is better to start off with a turbo controller. When I play games I like to kill everything, but that play style would suck without turbo. And the game still isn't easy using turbo. I could see coming back and using more dodging/speed running style, but it's not fun imo on the first run of this game specifically.

There is a glitch on lvl 2 I hit multiple times where a required platform is not there, but it has otherwise ran really well. I've played so many retro inspired games I actually had to remind myself this is running on original hardware.

• Like 1

HAPPY FREE RPG DAY, EVERYBODY!!! 🥳🥳🥳

I ended up going a bit overboard this month, especially since the Star Wars RPG will not be back in 2022. But I am dealing with enough that doing retail therapy (briefly) helped me (today). 😅

MoreSWstuff.jpg.42942595d3b6127c72243db0ff46de8b.jpg

Purchase #1: Dewback Rider (Unit Expansion) and Imperial Stormtrooper (Upgrade Expansion)
Purchase #2: Imperial Stormtrooper (Unit Expansion) and Clan Wren (Unit Expansion)
Purchase #3: Everything else seen here. Which I did not plan to do today, but it happened. 😅

With these added, I am around 50% complete towards my "Edge of the Empire" focus goals! 🍺

I also got a D&D mini-terrain set for free, even though I'd still get it if I spent $20 there. It consists of a bog, a plastic (build it yourself) miniature of a hag, and her house. Not my thing, but it was free.

And I also caught up on my Star Wars: The Vintage Collection stuff! 🥳🥳🥳

Purchase #1: "VC165" Remant Stormtrooper (not shown)
Purchase #2: "VC177" Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) (Walmart exclusive; with The Child)

VC177B.thumb.jpg.da62835fc62e17f35cf40f612fdeac1b.jpg

The seller (whose photo I am using) had these being listed as "collector grade mint" with the one I bought being the last of their stock. And unlike video games, it was listed for a SANE price.

Purchase #3: "VC177" Incinerator Trooper (Walmart exclusive)

VC177A.thumb.jpg.dd9bd4b6baba291167eefef175347742.jpg

This was tricky to find both in nice condition and at a sane price. So I ended up compromising with this one just because it came with a protective case. Plus it  was the last 2020 release I needed (after I decided to get the exclusives). 👍

Other than that... No video games (or candy).

• Like 7

Bought this one for 60 dollars. Just finished fixing it's connector and cleaning up the controllers.

The controllers were specially nasty, lots of kids sweat and dead skin cells all around. The result was so good that I added some pictures. Amazing what an old toothbrush, soap and some scrubbing did to them.

IMG_20211017_014455658_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211016_232358520.jpg

IMG_20211017_002142655.jpg

IMG_20211016_232408847.jpg

IMG_20211017_002243547.jpg

IMG_20211017_003924272.jpg

IMG_20211017_012653824_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211017_003934661.jpg

IMG_20211017_012810426_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211017_004421735.jpg

• Like 12

A whole bunch of stuff this week. Getting close to finishing off the 32X set and finally snagged a working system. It actually works with the Mega Sg if you have a DAC and some extra cables, so I don't have to hook up the old Genesis.

BVWBynf.jpg

Japanese Metroid Dread which I really just ordered for the included Amiibo. It also came with a nice little acrylic stand.

zjyhO82.jpg

A couple more Sega CD and a sealed Carmen Sandiego for the NES thread.

Ox7JAFR.jpg

And finally a couple more SMS games along with the rare Genesis pickups. I haven't had a chance to test these out yet, so I'm not sure how the Paperboy port holds up. Doom Troopers and X-men need their inner cartridge holders, but those shouldn't be a problem once I start accumulating Genesis lots.

uV7AtGW.jpg

Lastly, my son is starting to get old enough to watch a bit more action oriented fare, so I grabbed pretty much the whole Dragon Ball and DBZ series. Sadly, Season 2 seems to be unobtainable right now, so I'll have to wait on that. Also, Cowboy Bebop because it's awesome.

7rnjaWU.jpg

pOvBnkB.jpg

• Like 15