IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

@UlrizzaI just fixed a couple nes not too long ago. Spent a bunch of time reading people's repair logs and stuff to get an idea.

After disassembling and cleaning the boards with 90+isopropyl take the 72pin connector off and give it a good cleaning (some people say boil them to bring back to working but idk about that, I tried and it didn't really do much other than make it plyable) take a dental tool, like a pick, I used an exacto knife with a broken tip to pry the pins back into place. This is an effort of feel as to how far to pull them, so if you pull the pins out too tight not only will they grip and maybe hurt the carts pins over time but when you try to play a game it will only work if not pressed down (I hope that makes sense, like the typical action of inserting a cart and pressing it down will cause it to not work, but it will work when not pressed down) 

If the pins are not too tight it will function as intended but tight to the cart no pressing down needed, the same way the blinking light win product works. Some people consider it better for the system but I have a hard time not pressing them down. It's a little trial and error to find the sweet spot and I pulled em too far on the first one I worked on, then found my groove and the second one was much easier.

Have fun with ya projects!!

Absolutely feel free to make a thread if you have specific information you're looking for!! 

• Like 2

Today started grim with a flea market that was pathetic I bailed on in about an hour, having time I was like whatever and decided to head to the further off half price books and struck gold.

It's rare these pop up around here, yet it's my 2nd of the year... another Nintendo Game & Watch in the wild, Mario's Cement Factory, and also that Green Yarn Yoshi I haven't seen in a long while either.  $75/$10 respectively-- NOT, had a 25% off coupon. 😉  With taxes around $65 for the pair, given I've seen people oddly pay $100 for that G&W alone I'm thrilled, and I used to own this one (unlike Parachute) so bonus! 😄

mcfgandw-yarnyoshi.JPG.efd2ad0423109fa71b3994dd1b3a8d94.JPG

And then a couple days earlier I was near that goodwill again, found 4 more $5ea Star Trek ornaments, to me the big jackpot of the finds so far because I found those 2 ships, and again, they're all new. too.  Guess my string of lights I'll put up this year is going to look like a TOS warzone. 😄

startrek-hallmarkfinds-july2021b.JPG.363a682de349fc744d4c821f6161b9ef.JPG

• Like 10

5 hours ago, drxandy said:

@UlrizzaI just fixed a couple nes not too long ago. Spent a bunch of time reading people's repair logs and stuff to get an idea.

After disassembling and cleaning the boards with 90+isopropyl take the 72pin connector off and give it a good cleaning (some people say boil them to bring back to working but idk about that, I tried and it didn't really do much other than make it plyable) take a dental tool, like a pick, I used an exacto knife with a broken tip to pry the pins back into place. This is an effort of feel as to how far to pull them, so if you pull the pins out too tight not only will they grip and maybe hurt the carts pins over time but when you try to play a game it will only work if not pressed down (I hope that makes sense, like the typical action of inserting a cart and pressing it down will cause it to not work, but it will work when not pressed down) 

If the pins are not too tight it will function as intended but tight to the cart no pressing down needed, the same way the blinking light win product works. Some people consider it better for the system but I have a hard time not pressing them down. It's a little trial and error to find the sweet spot and I pulled em too far on the first one I worked on, then found my groove and the second one was much easier.

Have fun with ya projects!!

Absolutely feel free to make a thread if you have specific information you're looking for!! 

Thanks for the tips! I already repaired multiple NES and I regularly repair old consoles, it's one of my hobbies.

I managed to fix multiple NES with the boiling method, but the question is how long will they work?? I don't have enough hindsight to know... 

I've tried to pry the pins on another one, but it was very cumbersome and as you said, the game worked only when not pushed down, which I find extremely frustrating because I love the feeling of *clicking* the cart down 😌

There is some consoles that I couldn't fix and for which I could need a hand, but I learned a lot with all my reparations so I think if there was a repair section I could be of help 🙂

Anyway, I mighty ask for help some day when I want to try again to fix the ones I failed, thanks 😀

• Like 2

The last bit of July was full of exciting pick ups. Everything I have gotten over the past month or so should keep me satisfied for a while.

Firstly I managed to acquire a PS3 and a PS2. I am very excited to start collecting for the PS2 again.3AE24FBA-397D-44C2-9386-9861D55855CB.jpeg.ad276555046f39cd0ec20118b86dd49c.jpeg

Next we have Activision Anthology and Midway Arcade Treasures 3 on the PS2 to continue my compilation collection, plus a few Jakks Pacific Mario Figures that I saw lying around Walmart. I’m assuming that this is a semi replacement for the World of Nintendo series as I haven’t seen any new products in a long time.

369D1BB9-F076-416F-A243-9818C095F297.jpeg.f5f08ed49c9f3d1702115cf04dae03a9.jpeg

Finally we have Sega Superstars Tennis for PS3, Mario Golf Super Rush for Switch, and Alleyway, WWF Superstars and Super Mario Land to temporally end my collecting for the Game Boy, as I am ok with the small collection I have now.

13021265-8E56-44B3-9D1B-4C6D61613CDA.jpeg.4ed54116de8add438db0ffee3320ad56.jpeg

On 7/31/2021 at 3:10 PM, Tanooki said:

Today started grim with a flea market that was pathetic I bailed on in about an hour, having time I was like whatever and decided to head to the further off half price books and struck gold.

It's rare these pop up around here, yet it's my 2nd of the year... another Nintendo Game & Watch in the wild, Mario's Cement Factory, and also that Green Yarn Yoshi I haven't seen in a long while either.  $75/$10 respectively-- NOT, had a 25% off coupon. 😉  With taxes around $65 for the pair, given I've seen people oddly pay $100 for that G&W alone I'm thrilled, and I used to own this one (unlike Parachute) so bonus! 😄

And then a couple days earlier I was near that goodwill again, found 4 more $5ea Star Trek ornaments, to me the big jackpot of the finds so far because I found those 2 ships, and again, they're all new. too.  Guess my string of lights I'll put up this year is going to look like a TOS warzone. 😄

Mario’s Cement Factory is excellent and it’s one of my favourites in my collection. It’s what I have been using to get up every morning for a while 😁.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Matt 4120 said:

Mario’s Cement Factory is excellent and it’s one of my favourites in my collection. It’s what I have been using to get up every morning for a while 😁.

Really?  I honestly don't remember if I ever really used one as an actual alarm before.  Doesn't it just do some generic beeping?  I don't remember at least any of them doing a jingle, even something as obvious as SMB or Zelda would be.

I'm on to my last set or LR44s, I need to get a pack as I had to strip them out of parachute to test it, and it makes a better clock so I have it (MCF) powered up now.  As it is, those 2, pinball, smb, and ball(club nintendo) are all doorstops.

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Really?  I honestly don't remember if I ever really used one as an actual alarm before.  Doesn't it just do some generic beeping?  I don't remember at least any of them doing a jingle, even something as obvious as SMB or Zelda would be.

I'm on to my last set or LR44s, I need to get a pack as I had to strip them out of parachute to test it, and it makes a better clock so I have it (MCF) powered up now.  As it is, those 2, pinball, smb, and ball(club nintendo) are all doorstops.

For the ones I own, it’s just generic beeping, but the tone depends on the series. For example Donkey Kong Hockey in the Micro Vs series has a more higher and lighter pitch, while games like Donkey Kong Jr and Mario’s Cement Factory are louder and have a lower tone. They last for about a minute or 2 until you press the time button.

I like to change them up from time to time, so I can see the little animations on each one.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 3:10 PM, Tanooki said:

Those Star Trek keepsakes are quite cool! Are they "old"/vintage? I'm not sure what's going on in the "Mirror, Mirror" keepsake, but I'm guessing someone (Spock & Doctor?) are about to share an intimate moment a la Mass Effect 😉

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Those Star Trek keepsakes are quite cool! Are they "old"/vintage? I'm not sure what's going on in the "Mirror, Mirror" keepsake, but I'm guessing someone (Spock & Doctor?) are about to share an intimate moment a la Mass Effect 😉

Well vintage is relative in that stuff since they only started doing a trickle of them in the mid 90s about.  Each year gets usually 1-2 items and they'll bounce between the varying shows.  The old shuttle was the 2nd or 3rd oldest not pictured I've had all along, then as TNG, DS9 etc popped up they got their pieces and eventually post-Enterprise it rolled around again. These range from 2010-2013 if I remember right.  The values depend, the TOS crew are like $10-20, but Vina there she's like a $60-70 ornament.  The Mirror Mirror one I remember well, 'evil' Spock suspects the doctor and mind melds to realize he's from the non-mirror universe which helps move the episode along of getting the right people back to the right universes.  But yeah, maybe you're right, they don't call him Bones for nothing, maybe all those jibes cover up his feelings for green blood and that goatee was the final nudge. 😉

• Like 1

It's been a busy month. 

Was pleasantly surprised that Twinkle Tale is less of a shmup and more of a Pocky and Rocky clone.

The Saturn and PCE games were from Kid Shoryuken. So I have mixed feelings about this because this is the first shipment where I paid pretty close to the ebay costs were usually I get a cool discount because it's coming from Japan. It could have been unavoidable since Hyper Duel was included. I'm sure I will love the games after playing.

And Power Strike ll was $200 before the shipping from UK debacle. Was pleased to find that it included a manual in great condition so I may still be ahead.

20210802_175918~2.jpg

20210802_175941~2.jpg

20210802_175958~2.jpg

20210802_180019~2.jpg

20210802_175906~2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Californication said:

It's been a busy month. 

Was pleasantly surprised that Twinkle Tale is less of a shmup and more of a Pocky and Rocky clone.

The Saturn and PCE games were from Kid Shoryuken. So I have mixed feelings about this because this is the first shipment where I paid pretty close to the ebay costs were usually I get a cool discount because it's coming from Japan. It could have been unavoidable since Hyper Duel was included. I'm sure I will love the games after playing.

And Power Strike ll was $200 before the shipping from UK debacle. Was pleased to find that it included a manual in great condition so I may still be ahead.

20210802_175918~2.jpg

20210802_175941~2.jpg

20210802_175958~2.jpg

20210802_180019~2.jpg

20210802_175906~2.jpg

Great pickups! Welcome to the Hyper Duel club, it's a fantastic game.

• Like 2

My pick ups over the past few weeks:

qOyGWn1.jpg

Only spent $50 on this lot. Yoshi is sealed and the GB games were $5 each 😄

XJsyuLg.jpg

I've been looking for a new 3DS for the longest time but they were always in poor condition and overpriced. Finally got this lot for $250. I sold the other 3ds and games for $200 so I'm happy!

Cly1HBw.jpg

Picked up all of these for 50% or less of the current going rates. Fire Emblem has the manual and cost $99 because the seller compared prices with the Wii game so I lucked out on that 😄 

QXItXsy.jpg

And finally, I picked up this lot yesterday. I'm keeping the pro controller, Metroid and a few others but I'll sell the rest to get back most of what I paid (that's an AGS-101).

Also I now completed my NES classics loose cart set with the addition of Metroid.

EDIT: Holy moly I was just looking up that GameShark and seems like it goes for 100+ easy! I had no idea. Now the $290 that I paid for the lot suddenly doesn't look so bad!

Edited by bowser
  • Like 10