IGNORED

Homebrew Leader Board Competition 2020-Game 1: 8-Bit Xmas 2018

Scrobins

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Damn! Find any secret strats or just got gud and didn't die?

I don't think my strat was any different than the other high scores.  I skipped the jumps because often you can't see where you are going to land.  You can literally jump and flip over and over even while changing direction.  When there weren't many trees or skiers in the way, I would just jump and flip over and over.  Then, play it safe when there was too much on the screen.  The most annoying thing was missing button inputs.  Sometimes I could see where it didn't get my button press, and quickly press it again.  Switching to a wired controller fixed that problem though.

Overall, I just got gooder than the rest of ya. 🙂

Moderator · Posted
5 minutes ago, ecmyers said:

That happened to me too, but I though they were false inputs from my wireless controller! I don't think I noticed them again after switching to wired or moving closer to the receiver.

Good to know, I was using a wireless controller. Weird I always turned in the same direction when it happened.

6 minutes ago, ecmyers said:

@bertsampson What wireless controller were you using?

So, it's a wireless controller made for the NES classic that I connected to another device that allows you to connect GameCube or Wii style plug controllers to your Switch or PC.  It has worked great so far, but I haven't played any other games with so much button pressing.  I have an adapter to use original NES controllers too, but I ended up using my NES Classic wired controller.  I'm going to try the AVS wireless controller to see if I get the same issue.

114110390_WirelessController.jpg.a1fca78bab4e65345d6a234a4f0844bb.jpg

Interesting setup. I haven't seen that wireless controller before. But I do think the NES Classic controller isn't as good as an original controller, mainly because it sometimes causes accidental diagonal presses due to a shallow D-pad. Dropping button presses on the A button is a new one to me, but I haven't used mine excessively.

I usually use an 8Bitdo Bluetooth controller with a Retro Receiver, which sometimes gets interference, but in this case I was trying out my AVS Wireless controller--which also sometimes drops the connection, maybe because something is getting in between it and the receiver. It works flawlessly if I'm sitting within a few feet of it though, which seems weird because all the reviews say it shouldn't have any problem. It also might be getting some radio interference from another device or network but I've never been able to nail it down. 

I haven't had a problem with accidental diagonal presses, and the missing button presses was on the wireless controller.  Didn't have a problem when I switched the the wired Classic controller.

That wireless controller was a cheapo I found on Amazon.  I usually use my AVS, but I was lazy and didn't put the rom on my PowerPak, and my cart is hidden away in my game room that has been waiting to be set up since my move last May.  Tragic I know.  Hoping to get to the game room sometime this summer.  Also, I had been playing the GB Weekly games until the Homebrew NES challenge started, so I already had my wireless controller set up for emulation.  I wanted to stick with the GB, but I'm a NES guy.

I have my AVS under my desk to the left, and I have noticed that if I get too far to the right, I start to lose connection.  I think it's because of the two computers, and the wireless mouses and keyboards, but I haven't done any testing to find out.  I just try and play with the controller closer to the AVS, and it works just fine.

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Scrobins said:

There were several instances for me where everything was going fine and I guess because of the slope of the shape I was on I would abruptly turn even though I hadn’t hit the d-pad.

Same for me.  I was using a wired controller.

• This topic was unfeatured and unpinned