IGNORED

You die and kill the boss at the same time

fcgamer

In SMB, if you do that as small Mario hitting Bowser and the ax (until YEARS after the start of the Internet era I had no clue what that flashing thing behind Bowser was) it counts as completing the level...but not only does Mario do his eh, death thing and play the eh, death music...he leaps away from Bowser falling off the screen and then repeats the death music (I'm probably not saying all that right)...I always thought that was quite amusing.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 6:16 PM, tbone3969 said:

I believe the Souls games count it as a win.  I am playing Dark Souls 3 right now.  It happens when you beat a human controlled invader and die as well.  You get the win.

This makes sense considering you can't really "die" in Dark Souls, contrary to its most famous meme. You always respawn at a bonfire, with only smaller enemies coming back, completely the same as when you just go there to rest. Anything permanent (open doors, picked up items, dead bosses) are retained indefinitely.

This thread makes me think of my days playing Final Fantasy XI Online retail proper (I still play on a Classic Era recreation Private server sometimes when on a nostalgia kick)

Being the tank (a Paladin) was generally the guy who was going to die first when things went south... which would usually result in a wipe, but not always.

Fun story though, over the several years I player on retail, every single big mission/quest/endgame finale fight, I was always dead by the end for one reason or another. In particular the Chains of Promathia expansion We had killed the boss, and while the battle was winding down; a random last second Comet cast dropped and wiped me out as the cutscene resolved, so then I ported back outside the arena, dead. Somewhere I still have a screencap of my fellow party members dancing upon my character's dead body lol

• 1 year later...
On 12/21/2019 at 9:43 PM, CasualCart said:

In my experience with Mega Man 2, it counts as a win (at least against the final Alien boss). 

-CasualCart

Funny thing, that happened to me last night, on the final boss. It was a win on my part.

Then today when I was playing, the same thing happened with Heat Man, it was also counted as a win.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Funny thing, that happened to me last night, on the final boss. It was a win on my part.

Then today when I was playing, the same thing happened with Heat Man, it was also counted as a win.

Yep, I've seen that happen many times over the years usually with Bubbleman. I've also done a similar trick in Mega Man 4 with Ring Man, but in that game it doesn't count:

Shown at 1:40.

• Like 1

Mega Man 1 counts as a loss if you get hit after the fact. Dracula X, most of the bosses have last effort attacks that take chip damage once you've drained their health bar... super cheap. Also, Final Fantasy VI (3), one of the bosses uses Ultima(?) taking 9999 from every character, so you gotta use Life3 for self revive. I know that's not really the topic, but the conversation strayed this way 😛

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

Dracula X, most of the bosses have last effort attacks that take chip damage once you've drained their health bar... super cheap.

None of these can actually kill you though, but taking damage will rob you of the 1up bonus for killing a boss without getting hit.

35 minutes ago, Sumez said:

None of these can actually kill you though, but taking damage will rob you of the 1up bonus for killing a boss without getting hit.

huh... are you positive it can't kill you, even with minimal health? I could have sworn I've died a few times to those last effort attacks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...