IGNORED

XBox Collecting

fcgamer

Does anyone here collect for the original XBox? In the past I've toyed with the idea of trying to document and also collect all of the Taiwan region games for this machine. I think it would be interesting and is worth documenting; however, I don't have unlimited money or time, and I'm not particularly interested in the Xbox, having never even properly played one.

I do happen to own the rarest game on the machine though, Daemon Vector, which was developed by a local company here. Apparently it is exclusive to Taiwan only.

So does anyone here collect XBox? For a bloke like me, is it worth picking up even as a gaming machine?

IMG20191216080404.jpg

IMG20191216080410.jpg

• Like 2

I do! Working on a full ntsc set. I grew up playing Xbox games and always have had a special place in my heart for it, kinda like the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. There's loads of interesting exclusive(or moreso console exclusive) games but very few on rpgs. It was the most powerful of it's generation so multiplatform titles usually look best on Xbox. 

As an emulation machine people have a lot of success as well, I haven't followed the mod scene but people out there have made very good use of the hardware.

Is it worth owning? I say if you have the space (haha its huge) then yes, I'm totally in the dark on the Taiwan market so I can't really help, but would love to learn more about any exclusives or variants

I am fairly deep into the Xbox NTSC USA set. It was my primary console back then. There is a good number of fun games. The Xbox even looks good on modern tvs with components cables and the hd system settings.

Due note that some games such have multiple variants. Episode III having at least three that I know of. Halo Combat Evolved also has a few different cover cuts, sharp corners vs. rounded corners, if you want to get that far into the weeds. 

1000+ is daunting, but Xbox and PS2 is mostly cheap. Around here you can still go to a used game and movie store and buy 5 for $10. That will go a long way to clean up commons. Some will even throw in extra sports games just to unload them. 

That being said I do agree that you should not set collect disc based systems. Just buy the games you want to play. From PS1 on there was a lot of filler. 

Edited by themisfit138

I dove into collecting XBOX head first after completing my N64 loose set 2-3 years ago. Common prices have jumped up quite a bit since then but it is still a cheap system to collect for with a great library.

I found several great buys at the beginning: I bought over 100 non-sport titles from a local game store going out of business a couple years ago @ $1 each; a lot on Ebay with 30 non-sport games including Otogi for $40; IHRA Sportsmans Edition & Xyanide on Amazon for $20 each.

My folly in collecting for XBOX is that I went for a full variant set and that burnt me up. I have only picked up a couple harder to find titles in the last year +. I need to get back in...

On 12/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, The Count said:

I'm passively collecting the US set, and I have almost all the harder to find titles. Some of the variants are brutal, if you're in to that kind of thing. Some of the games have been surprisingly fun to play as well, despite the worst controller ever.

Worst controller ever??? It's in my top 5. Maybe top 3!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Worst controller ever??? It's in my top 5. Maybe top 3!

My dude, I know you must be trolling me. I need to check my inventory, better press the black button. Or was it white? No matter, I just died, lol. For reference, the best controller ever is the PS3 edging out SNES.

PS3 is a hard pass for me. The dpad is all but useless and I need the joy sticks to be offset. SNES is in my top 3 along with the Xbox 1 controller and the Sega Saturn controller. 

But og Xbox is up there. I thought using the black and white buttons for item toggles worked well. I love the Duke too. It's a master piece! 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, The Count said:

My dude, I know you must be trolling me. I need to check my inventory, better press the black button. Or was it white? No matter, I just died, lol. For reference, the best controller ever is the PS3 edging out SNES.

The DUKE controller is one of the worst ever, sure, but the S controller is great IMO! Then again, I love the N64 controller, so I guess my opinion on this matter doesn't count for much, lol! 😂

• Like 1

Is true that the original Xbox makes for an ideal MAME/arcade gaming machine?  I've never done Xbox (and in the 6th gen I stubbornly refused to consider it a legit major console and of course the 360 was a total joke with all that RROD stuff) but I wouldn't mind someday trying out the original machine if in fact it's an ideal MAME/arcade gaming machine.

47 minutes ago, Estil said:

Is true that the original Xbox makes for an ideal MAME/arcade gaming machine?  I've never done Xbox (and in the 6th gen I stubbornly refused to consider it a legit major console and of course the 360 was a total joke with all that RROD stuff) but I wouldn't mind someday trying out the original machine if in fact it's an ideal MAME/arcade gaming machine.

Finding a compatible thumb drive to back up the system with for the mod is a bear, but it is definitely worth it though. I have little experience with other systems like the Wii or PS2, but I have seen far more people into modding XBOX over any other system.

I have a black label US set, although there's so many little variants and LEs I don't have everything. As far as playing it's a pretty uninteresting console because nearly everything that matters is better on PC and a modern toaster could play original Xbox games much better than an Xbox can. It's mostly interesting for the superior console multiplatform games it has like Burnout 3/Revenge and a very small handful of Sega and MS exclusives. The most interesting part of Xbox is that 90% of the library is in the dollar bin if you're looking to fill up shelves with 1000 games. It's like the Wii except if the Wii didn't say Nintendo so people cared even less.

Edited by DefaultGen

22 hours ago, spacepup said:

@fcgamer you may remember this is the game I told you about and was asking for you to keep an eye out.  Any chance you would sell to me or let me know where I can get it?

Oh! I forgot about that, yeah I had remembered hearing it was an exclusive but couldn't remember who told me, as I was quite busy around the time we were talking initially.

Sadly, this game truly seems to be rare, as Optout and I've been searching high and low, for ages. Truly doesn't seem to be many around.

On 12/15/2019 at 7:10 PM, fcgamer said:

Does anyone here collect for the original XBox? In the past I've toyed with the idea of trying to document and also collect all of the Taiwan region games for this machine. I think it would be interesting and is worth documenting; however, I don't have unlimited money or time, and I'm not particularly interested in the Xbox, having never even properly played one.

I do happen to own the rarest game on the machine though, Daemon Vector, which was developed by a local company here. Apparently it is exclusive to Taiwan only.

So does anyone here collect XBox? For a bloke like me, is it worth picking up even as a gaming machine?

IMG20191216080404.jpg

IMG20191216080410.jpg

So this game is rare, but is it any good? Inquiring minds need to know!

On 12/16/2019 at 10:42 PM, Estil said:

Yes it is true.  It was the first system to have a built in HDD and powerful enough to run almost any arcade game you could want.  Modders throw in a huge HDD drive and fill it with thousands of games for a relatively cheap price.

Edited by tbone3969