IGNORED

Shelving Solutions for the Sophisticated Gamer

DoctorEncore

On 12/27/2019 at 3:49 PM, DoctorEncore said:

If you can't assess your collection while using the toilet, you're not doing it right.

i have full access.  some of that stuff is junk that needs to be tossed or sold off.  that sitting around out side of the closet

Edited by Nes Freak
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 2:42 PM, Splain said:

You guyses shelves look DOPE. I like to keep my games hidden from view for a few reasons, so as much as I want Twizer's shelves for my GB collection...

c887d4a656d6eaf6ed117a2002d6657a.jpg

...it's just a little too visible to the kids and their grabby hands. (And that amount of wall space would not be wife-approved anyway.) So for years now, I've kept my games in boring boxes, stacked on a shelf by my workbench. But for a bunch of reasons, I want to build a big drawer or two to keep them all in, and install it in that same shelf, roughly 4ft by 2ft. imagine the shelves above, but laid on their back and with a handle on the side. That's what I want. Maybe with a lock. And moisture packets. I'm already measuring.

That way I can gaze upon my collection, access everything for playing, but also be able to hide it all away. The smallness of GB games is part of why I collect them.

I'm glad you like them.  Those were a fun project.  I still have a few pics of the building process:

TpNweYW.jpg

t5ce2ZL.jpg

RcbV4PQ.jpg

oLS7YeX.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow! 2

CIB shelf was custom built with a couple of 1x6 pieces of wood from Home Depot.  Cost me about $60?  Cart shelves were Mainstay Media Shelves from Walmart which are great for loose NES carts BUT a few levels will not fit carts if they have dust sleeves on them, which irks me so damn much...black box rack to the left was a complete stroke of luck; simply a thrifted VHS tape storage rack that coincidentally perfectly houses the entire black box set plus the three silvers with no slots to spare.

IMG_20191201_161227_005.jpg

Edited by 8bitsupremacy
Typo
  • Like 4

I personally loved the wall bracket/floating shelf plan. Allows full customization of shelf spacing, depth and allows for floor space if needed. 

I'm now in a new house where all of my shit is in an unfinished basement with a poured foundation. I don't care to drill into the foundation so I had to stick with pre-fab shelves until I frame the area and throw up some drywall. 

Edited by Silent Hill

So this was my shelving solution for my NES set back in 2015-2017. A painted, home-made, custom built shelf designed for NES carts

vgs-ninjistar-nes_loose_licensed_set_201

I was pretty pleased with this. I've since moved and this no longer works in my new house. @8bitsupremacy I noticed in your post above that you mentioned having the Mainstays media shelves from Walmart. Are you sure that's what they are and where they're from?  I have a few of those but hadn't considered using them for NES carts before. I want to use 4 of those now to house my NES set, but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. I'm wondering if they're still available. Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 2

20 minutes ago, NintendoTwizer said:

Here's what I have going on with my current NES collection.  

20191127_115435.thumb.jpg.0dd354e67f07230ea84b46c740278216.jpg

20191127_115908.thumb.jpg.b896d0f4ec60dacda4d0c45cf8e9216d.jpg

Each shelf has it's own lighting, which gives everything a nice look.  

These are fantastic! This is exactly the kind of clean look I was going for with my shelves. Any insider info on the design and construction process?