IGNORED

What is the biggest thing you have bought on ebay?

Tabonga

We have a corner of our yard that is hard to get to - the west side has a massive 3' high concrete slab bordering it while the south side has an outbuilding on most of it with another outbuilding immediately to the south of that so you have go a ways to get in behind the first out building,  

I bought a 10' x 3' x 4" aluminum walk ramp which I put on the edge of the slab.   Cost more to ship than I paid for the ramp itself.

What  was your biggest sized purchase (could be weight or physical dimensions)?

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

Not from ebay per-se, but years ago i bought a ps2 devkit from a german seller (and paid myself sick to have the thing shipped to finland... those things are MASSIVE.)

I remember that particular item because it was shipped to me in a gigantic box, and when I went to the post office to pick it up, the box was so big and heavy that the worker there just slapped it on the floor and moved it by kicking it forward.... I had a few words to say to her about that after i opened it and had to deal with a broken CPU and CPU socket.

This was about 16 years ago. Triple CRT video projector. Maybe 3’ x 2’ x 8”, iirc. Probably weighed 150 pounds. It was padded with 2-3” styro all around, but UPS still broke it. I had it shipped to work, which was a tiny shop. I had this massive thing on the floor for weeks trying to deal with it.  Pain in the ass to get UPS attention about it. They said it wasn’t their fault. Because it was heavy. An investigator came to look, and when I showed him the packaging he admitted it should have been sufficient. Can’t remember how much if any of my money I got back though.

Not eBay...Just ordered a 135lbs cocktail arcade table. Upwards of 1200$ For this machine. I found a flash sale for 99$ free shipping!!!!!! At135lbs!!!!! That’s a crazy deal. 60/1 coin op. 

Either I scored big time or it’s the craziest 99$ scam ever. Has tracking being updated regularly tho....🤞

32173D70-E6F0-4C81-A694-16B0D59CF37F.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

9 minutes ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

Not eBay...Just ordered a 135lbs cocktail arcade table. Upwards of 1200$ For this machine. I found a flash sale for 99$ free shipping!!!!!! At135lbs!!!!! That’s a crazy deal. 60/1 coin op. 

Either I scored big time or it’s the craziest 99$ scam ever. Has tracking being updated regularly tho....🤞

32173D70-E6F0-4C81-A694-16B0D59CF37F.png

That’s a hell of a deal. That 60 in one Jamma has its flaws but is a very popular one. The board alone costs half of what you paid. Very jealous assuming it actually arrives 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

Damn dude good deal there.  I recognize the internal there, that's an iCade 60in1.  A couple games won't play well at all (centipede/millipede) unless you have a trackball there, and a few games the audio gets kind of less than nice but not bad enough to run you off either (Gyruss being one of them gets buzzy.)  I've got a modern generic black wrap, Ms-Pac-Man art bezel topped version of that thing I picked up free through offerup (only thing it was ever good for) that I just had to get a few cheap parts for to revive ti and it's a hell of a machine.  You scored big time as the titles on there are fantastic.  Not sure where you found a flash sale that deeply done but that's amazing.

--

I've kind of reserved ebay since it's second hand to smaller items both in size and value.  My guess since I don't know anymore as I've been on there since it went live in the mid 90s would likely be a video game console, boxed, so it came in yet a larger box with some decent packing around it.  I know, boring, but that is what it is.  I'd never buy like the first post said a ramp, or the one above an arcade cabinet (new or old) from that place again due to the nature of ebay and the trust/expense barrier there.

A car, lol.  Looks like I win, for the moment.  It was a shell-only 1967 Mustang fastback with original glass and chrome, deluxe seats, even the fold down back seat and inner trunk hatch, but absolutely no floors (hump was there, and a little of the rear floor but nothing forward to the firewall) and a front end that had been poorly repaired/rebuilt out of a couple of smaller I-bars.  Hung onto it hoping to resto-mod it for 10-15 years before I finally gave up on the dream and gave in to the guy who'd been hassling me for the better part of me owning it and sold it to pay off a bunch of bills.  Made him take the bulky stuff I had for it to clear out all of the space, so he ended up with the 428 truck motor I'd picked up at a junkyard and the 428 Cobra Jet block I'd picked up at a car show to build for it.  Still a little sad that I don't have it anymore, but am now wise enough to realize that it's probably in better hands now and would have likely entirely turned to rust before I had the time and money to put into it to get it up and going again properly.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

A car, lol.  Looks like I win, for the moment.  It was a shell-only 1967 Mustang fastback with original glass and chrome, deluxe seats, even the fold down back seat and inner trunk hatch, but absolutely no floors (hump was there, and a little of the rear floor but nothing forward to the firewall) and a front end that had been poorly repaired/rebuilt out of a couple of smaller I-bars.  Hung onto it hoping to resto-mod it for 10-15 years before I finally gave up on the dream and gave in to the guy who'd been hassling me for the better part of me owning it and sold it to pay off a bunch of bills.  Made him take the bulky stuff I had for it to clear out all of the space, so he ended up with the 428 truck motor I'd picked up at a junkyard and the 428 Cobra Jet block I'd picked up at a car show to build for it.  Still a little sad that I don't have it anymore, but am now wise enough to realize that it's probably in better hands now and would have likely entirely turned to rust before I had the time and money to put into it to get it up and going again properly.virtually nothing

You could have left it as a shell and put it alongside this:

(It is a picture of the Dale - a scam pulled of - the perpetrator would shoe this but never let anyone look at it closely - it was just a shell with virtually nothing inside.)

mg-3753_orig.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

You could have left it as a shell and put it alongside this:

(It is a picture of the Dale - a scam pulled of - the perpetrator would shoe this but never let anyone look at it closely - it was just a shell with virtually nothing inside.)

Honestly, if I hadn't been paying ~$70/mo to keep it in storage, I'd probably still have it, but it eventually got to the point where it was tougher and tougher to justify throwing money out at something that it was looking more and more like I was never going to get to do.  At this point I've made my peace with it and given all the books, magazines, etc. that I'd accumulated for the project to family who have similar interests and projects.  I think the only things I've got left laying around are the repro Shelby GT500 fender badges my aunt had bought me, the Shelby speedo and tach I managed to pick up separately, and the period correct, optional dash clock.  With all but the badges, I honestly forgot to dig them out and put them in the car when I was getting rid of it and the guy who bought it never noticed or said a word, so I'm happy to sit on them until the right offer or project comes my way.

On 12/14/2019 at 9:50 PM, Tanooki said:

Damn dude good deal there.  I recognize the internal there, that's an iCade 60in1.  A couple games won't play well at all (centipede/millipede) unless you have a trackball there, and a few games the audio gets kind of less than nice but not bad enough to run you off either (Gyruss being one of them gets buzzy.)  I've got a modern generic black wrap, Ms-Pac-Man art bezel topped version of that thing I picked up free through offerup (only thing it was ever good for) that I just had to get a few cheap parts for to revive ti and it's a hell of a machine.  You scored big time as the titles on there are fantastic.  Not sure where you found a flash sale that deeply done but that's amazing.

--

I've kind of reserved ebay since it's second hand to smaller items both in size and value.  My guess since I don't know anymore as I've been on there since it went live in the mid 90s would likely be a video game console, boxed, so it came in yet a larger box with some decent packing around it.  I know, boring, but that is what it is.  I'd never buy like the first post said a ramp, or the one above an arcade cabinet (new or old) from that place again due to the nature of ebay and the trust/expense barrier there.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:03 PM, RH said:

I bought a Rickenbacker 330 when I was in college, in 1999. It was shipped in a hardshell and in a box about 1.5” thick on the narrow side.

I think it was the second or third thing I bought because it was dirt cheap compared to getting one at a guitar shop.

I didn’t know you played! Still got it?

1 minute ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

I didn’t know you played! Still got it?

Nah, I gave it away to a buddy who went on to get his doctorate in music and is now a studio recording artist.  I really enjoyed it but I never was a good guitarist.  Being that he had years of schooling ahead of him.  Anyway, I wanted the guitar to be appreciated and be used by someone who could use it for all it was worth.

It was an amazing instrument though.  The action was perfect and the fret board was about as smooth as glass. It felt like a guitar that could practically play itself.

1 minute ago, RH said:

Nah, I gave it away to a buddy who went on to get his doctorate in music and is now a studio recording artist.  I really enjoyed it but I never was a good guitarist.  Being that he had years of schooling ahead of him.  Anyway, I wanted the guitar to be appreciated and be used by someone who could use it for all it was worth.

It was an amazing instrument though.  The action was perfect and the fret board was about as smooth as glass. It felt like a guitar that could practically play itself.

Nice. Just picked up this Eastwood 59’ 3P and still have my hollow body thin line tele. I’m a front man/ song writer for a group called the hot knives (US). But I’m a drummer by nature.

7B19FE5E-19DB-40B2-87F6-74F8C8756ECA.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bear85 said:

2001 Acura Integra, was listed on eBay motors and was listed locally. At the time it was a really good deal. 

I use to (try to) shop for cars on eBay.  You can find a lot of good deals, but the big fail is that the car you want is usually on the other side of the US.  I just couldn't bring myself to buy a car, sight unseen, fly out to 1,000 miles away and then drive it back.  Waaaaay to risky.  But, if I ever find a car like I'm looking for next time I'm on the market that's within a couple hundred miles of where I live, I may well just do that.

5 hours ago, RH said:

I use to (try to) shop for cars on eBay.  You can find a lot of good deals, but the big fail is that the car you want is usually on the other side of the US.  I just couldn't bring myself to buy a car, sight unseen, fly out to 1,000 miles away and then drive it back.  Waaaaay to risky.  But, if I ever find a car like I'm looking for next time I'm on the market that's within a couple hundred miles of where I live, I may well just do that.

Yeah only reason I picked it up was cause it was locally, otherwise I wouldn’t spend money to travel and pick something up that’s not even gonna make it, I was also able to get the car cheaper if I paid in cash so technically I didn’t get it on eBay but I sad it on eBay and I contact him from eBay. Saved on seller fees so he gave me a better deal