IGNORED

Time Magazine Person of the Year: Greta Thunberg

CodysGameRoom

4 hours ago, G-type said:

I think the explanation is simpler.. It fits the narrative of "China bad", whereas Chile protests is reaction to the austerity economics of neoliberalism.

Hong Kong is more relevant on the global stage than Chile, Ecuador, or Haiti.  So is China.  To be honest, I don't understand your complaint.

I always thought this was more about Greta the celebrity than the activist now. Then again, celebrity is the only way to achieve real change in the world anymore. 😒

In my opinion, people who deny climate change are morons and fools. I wish the politicians would instead say, "we acknowledge the growing concern about climate change, but if we don't relax current restrictions, we risk losing America's place in the world as an economic superpower to Russia and China. This would pose a much greater threat to global stability than climate change, especially in the short term."

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Aren't most conservatives typically religious? Yet there is no evidence of religion, faith is required.

I'm not sure you could ask a bigger question or make a broader assertion if you tried 😉

*checks watch* Let's make this quick and dirty.

I'd say it's a safe bet that most religious people are conservative, but I'm not sure that most conservatives are religious (especially in this day and age). 

And as far as the Judeo/Christian faith tradition goes, it is essentially a mixture of faith and reason, in that it makes certain reasonable assertions about reality and mankind that seem to hold up within it's framework, but does require faith at a certain point. God is a god of order - reality seems to be orderly. Mankind is prone to rebel against God - man kills, steals, lies, etc (this is the broadest and dirtiest of my statements by the way). 

It could be that since people who score higher on the personality traits that tend towards conservatism are drawn to religion because it offers them a framework of reality that is orderly, whereas the liberal framework, as I mentioned earlier, is less stable. 

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

I always thought this was more about Greta the celebrity than the activist now. Then again, celebrity is the only way to achieve real change in the world anymore. 😒

In my opinion, people who deny climate change are morons and fools. I wish the politicians would instead say, "we acknowledge the growing concern about climate change, but if we don't relax current restrictions, we risk losing America's place in the world as an economic superpower to Russia and China. This would pose a much greater threat to global stability than climate change, especially in the short term."

That is the absolute best way to alienate anyone who thinks differently and to destroy any possible consensus you could have reached otherwise. 

37 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

That is the absolute best way to alienate anyone who thinks differently and to destroy any possible consensus you could have reached otherwise. 

May as well try and argue that the sky is green, then. 

This hot button really disappoints me. Rolling back environmental regulations has merit. Using the argument of denying climate change does not.

Edited by Kguillemette
Clarity.