IGNORED

Time Magazine Person of the Year: Greta Thunberg

CodysGameRoom

41 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

Heh. It should take more than theatrics to move anyone who aims to think clearly about proposing legislation that will affect millions (or all) lives. You don't want to make the person right in front of you feel good while adversely affecting the population at large. 

To your P.S.- To my knowledge her parents play a very large role in her presentations, and she certainly did not plan a voyage across the ocean all on her lonesome. It has been reported that one of her parents has ties to Antifa (take that for what you will, personally don't care that much) and the other has a background in theater, which would certainly be self evident. 

As to her mental state, I believe it was reported from multiple sources that she was "on the spectrum", and some have suggested that to criticize her is tantamount to criticizing her mental state, which is acting in pretty bad faith if you're aiming for truth. If she's making bad arguments and relying on emotional manipulation then she gets an automatic fail from me, regardless of her mental status. 

Appreciate that background info, that is interesting.  I agree with the emotional manipulation piece for sure.

Also with my support of her, I'm not saying there wasn't anyone else more qualified or deserving etc cause I don't know, just really refreshing to see someone pushing awareness on such an important topic.

• Like 1

I wonder about the manipulation factor. She's a kid so anyone that criticizes her will look like a bully. I don't follow politics closely, but that "how dare you" speech came off like a scripted wrestling promo. She's bringing awareness to a relevant topic, but it seems like she's repeating what she's told since anyone that criticizes her will look bad because she's a kid instead of focusing on the issue.

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wonder about the manipulation factor. She's a kid so anyone that criticizes her will look like a bully. I don't follow politics closely, but that "how dare you" speech came off like a scripted wrestling promo. She's bringing awareness to a relevant topic, but it seems like she's repeating what she's told since anyone that criticizes her will look bad because she's a kid instead of focusing on the issue.

1 hour ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

No I can't say that I can  -  mostly because I don't care what the film industry thinks of itself - and my taste in movies precludes most of what I am interested in being considered for an award.  If I am interested in a movie I will go see it whethe

Okay so I’m asking because do you think they should stop giving Academy awards? Because how many can name the last 5 winners. Same logic. Sounds like you don’t care if they do or they don’t. Should any awards at all be given?

1 hour ago, m308gunner said:

Heh. It should take more than theatrics to move anyone who aims to think clearly about proposing legislation that will affect millions (or all) lives. You don't want to make the person right in front of you feel good while adversely affecting the population at large. 

What adverse effects do you foresee?

1 hour ago, m308gunner said:

It has been reported that one of her parents has ties to Antifa (take that for what you will, personally don't care that much)

Then why bring it up? Surely you have some opinion of antifa, or you wouldn’t find this relevant.

34 minutes ago, Link said:

Okay so I’m asking because do you think they should stop giving Academy awards? Because how many can name the last 5 winners. Same logic. Sounds like you don’t care if they do or they don’t. Should any awards at all be given?

I am saying that in reality (for a variety of reasons) neither award(s) mean(s) jack to a good chunk of the population.  Whether they give them out or not is irrelevant IMHO** - I am not going to be swayed by them regardless of who wins them.  

As an irrelevant aside I wonder how many people can name the last five presidents in comparison to how many can name the first five*?  

*Starting with G. Washington since technically there were 10 before him - I am not setting up a trick question.

**As a really irrelevant aside I once had the opportunity to tell off a reigning Miss America - that was pretty fun. It certainly impressed some of my friends.

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

1 hour ago, Link said:

What adverse effects do you foresee?

Then why bring it up? Surely you have some opinion of antifa, or you wouldn’t find this relevant.

Adverse effects: See Wandering's post at the end of pg 2 concerning destroying a village to save it. The squeaking wheel hypothetical would be bowing to Greta's every concern and immediately condemning the world population to stone-age level subsistence living in order to curb emissions. 

Antifa: I should have added "...personally don't care that much in regards to the topic of climate change". I certainly have an opinion of the group in regards to their American chapter(s), but that would be a rabbit trail. Somewhat related, but potentially thread derailing.

20 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

I don't hate the award, I simply think it is basically a moot exercise - doesn't really matter who wins it.  How many people can name the last 5 winners off the top of their heads?  Yeah - one can look that up but that is not the same at all.

If I’m reading you right, you think all awards are irrelevant. In that case, does it matter if you agree with a chosen recipient? I don’t care about the movie awards either, so I don’t pay attention nor discuss them. What are you doing here? I don’t understand.

Edited by Link

10 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

Adverse effects: See Wandering's post at the end of pg 2 concerning destroying a village to save it. The squeaking wheel hypothetical would be bowing to Greta's every concern and immediately condemning the world population to stone-age level subsistence living in order to curb emissions. 

I think you mischaracterize the goal. There is much that can be done to reduce emissions without drastically altering our modern way of life. The problem is that we are doing nearly nothing, and we need to do a lot. 

As for the point that China is worse than we are, they are simply following our lead. Western nations should consume more responsibly. Curb the demand for mass  fast fashion disposable electronics as cheaply as possible, and they will have no reason to smelt their air black. 

14 minutes ago, Link said:

If I’m reading you right, you think all awards are irrelevant. In that case, does it matter if you agree with a chosen recipient? I don’t care about the movie awards either, so I don’t pay attention nor discuss them. What are you doing here? I don’t understand.

"What are you doing here?"  

Who am I - Admiral Stockdale?  Or is there a secret handshake or decoder ring to qualify for "true" members that I haven't received?

OP asked a general question about opinions on something for the VGS membership to respond to and I heeded the call.  It really doesn't matter if any any of us either agree or disagree outside of our narrow little corner of the internet.  On most forums people talk about lots of things - mostly irrelevant to anything beyond the narrow confines of that particular little corner of the twilight zone.

17 minutes ago, Link said:

I think you mischaracterize the goal. There is much that can be done to reduce emissions without drastically altering our modern way of life. The problem is that we are doing nearly nothing, and we need to do a lot. 

As for the point that China is worse than we are, they are simply following our lead. Western nations should consume more responsibly. Curb the demand for mass  fast fashion disposable electronics as cheaply as possible, and they will have no reason to smelt their air black. 

What is the goal, and is it even achievable? And who get's to define those objectives? Again, see some of Wandering's posts. 

China's ruling party is interested in increasing it's own interests and nothing else. Not their people, not their air, nothing. And they do not take their lead from us, but are more than happy to sell us stuff (and steal our intellectual property). Sure, we can and should curb our demand. Maybe even begin to separate ourselves from the cheap-products-teat. 

In fact, maybe we should start buying more expensive, conservation-minded, American products. Maybe bring some production back to the states. Look at that! You're headed towards agreeing with President Trump!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

"What are you doing here?"  

Who am I - Admiral Stockdale?  Or is there a secret handshake or decoder ring to qualify for "true" members that I haven't received?

OP asked a general question about opinions on something for the VGS membership to respond to and I heeded the call.  It really doesn't matter if any any of us either agree or disagree outside of our narrow little corner of the internet.  On most forums people talk about lots of things - mostly irrelevant to anything beyond the narrow confines of that particular little corner of the twilight zone.

So you don’t care about the award. Got it. Sorry I offended you with the last bit. 

5 minutes ago, Link said:

So you don’t care about the award. Got it. Sorry I offended you with the last bit

Yeah I don't care about it unless someone asks me about my opinion of a particular recipient.  

You didn't offend me - I just found the statement more than a bit odd.  And there is no sense in having an arcane stash of knowledge (such as who Stockdale was, his statement and why it was so hilarious at the time) and not use it.  A little light levity never hurts in these threads

Edited by Wandering Tellurian
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Everyone convince the other side yet?  Bridge the partisan gap?  Solve polarization?

Or just entrench further? 😉

Maybe a thread on abortion next

Well, since you bring it up, in my humble opinion both "sides" have kept things rather civil, and at the very least have accomplished a bit of community building by engaging in a complex and polarizing topic without slinging too much mud. 8-bit beers are on me! 🍻

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

Well, since you bring it up, in my humble opinion both "sides" have kept things rather civil, and at the very least have accomplished a bit of community building by engaging in a complex and polarizing topic without slinging too much mud. 8-bit beers are on me! 🍻

Do those bits come with a screwdriver?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

She's a kid so anyone that criticizes her will look like a bully.

She's representing the demand to do something immediately to save the planet, so anyone that criticizes her will look like a fool. Doesn't matter who she is, and she never even claimed to be an expert on anything. She's just out there to make people talk, and at least that part is working. Too bad it brings out all the conspiracy nutjobs, too.

• Like 1