IGNORED

What's your 'hidden gems' console?

Nintegageo

5 minutes ago, AstralSoul13 said:

PS1 and PS2 for me since I was always 100% Nintendo growing up. So I had the big titles for PS1 & 2 when I eventually got them but I really didn't know the deep cuts. I'm discovering a lot of hidden gems on both consoles especially since there are a TON of games in both libraries.

Tomba! are amazing games.

Hell I recently discovered a SNES game I'd never heard of and goes rarely mentionned, but has all the markings of a above-average action platformer. Pretty costly tho so _some_ people know about it heh.

But really, the Atari Lynx in general is a heavy hitter everybody sleeps on. It has some of the best ports of Atari's 80s arcade hits around.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:32 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

When a game was released for the SNES and Genesis I usually tried the Genesis version first hoping it would be better. Even with MK1 the censored SNES version was almost arcade perfect compared to the grainy Genesis version with the scratchy sound and people seem to forget you needed a code to unlock the "uncensored mode".

ABACABB

second only to the Contra Code for cheats burned into my memory

Because people want to act like Sega had the more adult and cooler system, funny how history played out otherwise.  SNES often enough held its own or had the nicer release, even if annoyingly MK1 was Immortal Kombat sweaty edition, it did play right.  I used it, as I did with SF2 on SNES to train up to kick peoples asses on an arcade I was going to at the time and it worked (given I played the AI at home on max difficulty.)  Sure some Genesis games got the nicer port because it started there, and as you know, ports elsewhere tend to be more rushed and crappy, usually with corners if not entire stages cut as they were just considered cash ins on another market.  So as it was it was like a 50/50 chance Sega may have got the nicer game even if it didn't look/sound as well  but because stuff wouldn't get cut out, or it would be less buggy or something.  Mickey Mania is a good example of the hack job lameness.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:28 PM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Hell I recently discovered a SNES game I'd never heard of and goes rarely mentionned, but has all the markings of a above-average action platformer. Pretty costly tho so _some_ people know about it heh.

Come one, you can share the title.
There's a good chance most people here already know about it, and in case anyone don't wouldn't it be nice to share the knowledge? One forum post isn't gonna hurt your chances of being able to pick up a copy.

Alternatively, someone might be able to advise on whether the game is truly worth the price of admission. 😛 I think there are a lot of platform games on SNES that look much better than they are. On the other hand, there are also a bunch out there that I could easily recommend, including a bunch that can still be picked up for cheap.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

There's a good chance most people here already know about it, and in case anyone don't wouldn't it be nice to share the knowledge? One forum post isn't gonna hurt your chances of being able to pick up a copy.

Alternatively, someone might be able to advise on whether the game is truly worth the price of admission. 😛 I think there are a lot of platform games on SNES that look much better than they are. On the other hand, there are also a bunch out there that I could easily recommend, including a bunch that can still be picked up for cheap.

I am guessing Run Saber. Let's guess and he can give a cool point to whoever wins 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

43 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I am guessing Run Saber. Let's guess and he can give a cool point to whoever wins 🙂

Realm. It's Realm.

But I still give cool points 🙂

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, hyrulevyse said:

PC Engine for me.  I love grabbing random lots off ebay or wherever and testing each one not knowing a thing about em.  There's so many games on that console that are unlike anything else.  For those of you with an everdrive give Gekisha Boy as shot for an example of what I mean.

Gekisha Boy is one of my favorite games on the system for its Japanese view of American culture and copyright infringement on various characters.

• Like 1

Pretty much any console other than snes. I had a bunch of good SNES tapes growing up. N64 i only had a few and it was all mainstream stuff. Never owned an nes.  I only got tapes at christmas or birthdays so I never really had a lot for current consoles growing up. SNES i got all my stuff after n64 was released.

Edited by ALTQQ