IGNORED

Best NES box protectors?

I'm sure this has been done before but what are everyone's favorite plastic box protectors for NES?  I have some from both Video Game Box Protectors and Retro Protection and both of them are a little too tall for my liking.  Anyone use Kollector Protector or have somewhere else they prefer to get them from?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

33 minutes ago, hyrulevyse said:

I'm sure this has been done before but what are everyone's favorite plastic box protectors for NES?  I have some from both Video Game Box Protectors and Retro Protection and both of them are a little too tall for my liking.  Anyone use Kollector Protector or have somewhere else they prefer to get them from?

I prefer Video Game Box Protectors. I've bought about 500 from them and the quality is pretty consistent. Occasionally you get thick flaps on one side, but the fit is always good.

• Like 1

They make protectors that are a little bit taller and wider but the standard size fits perfectly. Especially if the shrinkwrap is still on the box which makes things a little tighter. My only complaint is that they scratch up pretty easy from normal shelf wear. So you need a protector for your protector.😄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, austin532 said:

They make protectors that are a little bit taller and wider but the standard size fits perfectly. Especially if the shrinkwrap is still on the box which makes things a little tighter. My only complaint is that they scratch up pretty easy from normal shelf wear. So you need a protector for your protector.😄

Yeah I mean the width is fine, and is the important part if shrink is still.  But like I said the height is my issue with them.  I've bought games before that have had them on that fit better.  So they're out there somewhere.

If you're around Europe, I can recommend https://www.theboxprotectorshop.nl/c-3519139/nes-boxprotectors/.

They sell 0.4mm thick (as opposed to the more common 0.3mm thick) snug fit cases, and they come with a film of plastic to protect them from scratches. Removing the film takes some extra time/work, but at least you get protectors that are not scratched from handling during processing and shipping + can choose to leave on the film to keep them from scratching on your shelves. Price-wise they are also on the low end.

• Like 2

If you're looking for something a bit sturdier then I would recommend kollector_protector box protecters. They are 0 .5mm thick and you can really feel the difference between kollector's and others. I started swapping out my Video Game Box protectors for these because they feel more durable and they have a nice snug fit. I've tried the SNES and NES box protectors so far.

The Ebay link is here: https://www.ebay.com/str/kollector-protector?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

On 12/12/2019 at 2:42 AM, Trifecta said:

If you're looking for something a bit sturdier then I would recommend kollector_protector box protecters. They are 0 .5mm thick and you can really feel the difference between kollector's and others. I started swapping out my Video Game Box protectors for these because they feel more durable and they have a nice snug fit. I've tried the SNES and NES box protectors so far.

The Ebay link is here: https://www.ebay.com/str/kollector-protector?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Those look great! I wasn't aware 0.5mm thick ones were available. Good price, too.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, drxandy said:

Reporting back after receiving kollector protector boxes in the mail.

Wow. They blow the other ones I got (likely .3mm) out of the water. Nes boxes fit perfectly snug (the others were quite loose which bothered me) and the beautiful thickness has made me a believer.

Glad you're now a believer. 😀

4 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

How do you guys feel about retroprotection nes box protectors vs kollector protector?

I like Kollector's a lot better. The ones I got from Kollector feel much more sturdier, the fit is snug, and the flaps stay where they are supposed to.

I've tried video game box protectors, retro protection and a few others. By far Kollector's were the best I've found, so much so I've started swapping out my other box protectors for Kollector's and giving the old ones away.

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 12:20 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Man, after all the raving in this thread I'm gonna have to try these things out. First step will be to upgrade expensive games to acrylic, then maybe replace some of my 0.3mm PET cases. Will check back in when I do 

I only got a 10 pack to try them out, worth it for 10.99 shipped

Edit:  update from the future

This was before kollector protector started putting their website embossed on the boxes. They might be fine but I'm not looking to have printing on my protectors. 

Trying to remove the games from the original kp protectors is kinda tough so they look great but if you want to play the game you could possibly damage the box if not very careful.

On the flip, it looks like KP added thicc acrylic cases that look rather nice. No branding on those.

Edited by drxandy