IGNORED

Game Boy Weekly Contest Round 2: Bubble Ghost

Red

1 hour ago, Splain said:

I'm getting worse are room 20, and I've still never survived to the end. Anyone playing on a GBC or GBA, I recommend the "down" color palette, nice bubble-gum feel to it.

Yeah, it took awhile before I got consistent at it. The important thing to know is that they move the same way every time. So, figure out the timing to go through when the prongs are synced up in opposite directions and the gap is at its widest. 

[Old Picture]

I feel pretty good about this run. I found an easy 4000 points I didn't know about, went for a couple more faster strats, and had better execution. There still are a couple faster strats but those are pretty hard to go for. I also came across this glitch below that is used in the TAS. I'm tempted to start grinding runs with it, but I haven't been able to pull it off consistently yet. It seems to have a three frame window with no visual cue that I've found. Hats off to anyone who finishes a run with it.

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

[Old Picture]

After breaking 260k, I think I'm done with this game now (unless someone challenges my score 😉). Mostly the same route as my last post, but for the 259800 (as seen in the hi-score) I added the respawn glitch to hall 28. As hard as the respawn glitch is to pull off normally, it's WAY harder in hall 28 as there's no flat surface to hit (I didn't even think it was possible until I TASed it). For my 260250, I only got out of hall 28 with 5 or 6 lives (I think I only lost the required one to pull off the glitch in 28). So, I decided to try it in hall 32 as well since I had lives to spare (I measured 32 as being tied second for most points save by using the glitch). Again, I pulled it off with only losing the required life. But then, I almost lost it in 34 (which I normally don't have a problem with) by losing the rest of my lives save one. I eventually pulled it together and finished the run.

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

Pretty happy with this score.  No glitches, just pure speed.  I had a 263,700 run adding my points together between continuing, so it is beatable.

Anyway I'm done now.  Good luck everyone!

Edit: Forgot to mention I lost SIX lives in Hall 20 on this attempt.  A complete meltdown that I somehow worked my way around.

XRE69aTl.jpg

Edited by arnpoly

37 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

Pretty happy with this score.  No glitches, just pure speed.  I had a 263,700 run adding my points together between continuing, so it is beatable.

Anyway I'm done now.  Good luck everyone!

Edit: Forgot to mention I lost SIX lives in Hall 20 on this attempt.  A complete meltdown that I somehow worked my way around.

[Picture]

Whoa, I'm obviously missing something. I did another TAS of my route and it only got to 261700. I'm guessing you found another thing that's worth 4k points that I don't know about. If that's true, your score would have exactly tied my no glitch high score if I had gotten 4k more.

EDIT: Yep, I found 2 4k things I didn't know about. So, I now have an easy 8k worth of points I wasn't going for.

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

IMG_20191215_114855.thumb.jpg.028f30e3ce8b157b00dc53fb15fcce99.jpg

With @arnpoly beating my score, I realized that I was missing some blowable objects. This score used the same path as my 260250 adding in the 8k of new objects. I also improved my execution by 200 points.

Additionally, I got a 266900 glitchless. I was low on lives going into 28 so I didn't go for the respawn glitch. This probably would have been a 268350 or so with the glitch, so about the same level of execution.

Fun game! I only just discovered you can blow on the bubble continuously by holding down the A button. The way you rotate around the bubble keep messing me up though. I wish I could spend all night playing it, but alas, I must move on with my life. Thanks for the tip on the pink palette, @Splain.

BTW, does anyone know how to change your username on this forum?

IMG_20191215_211128533_2.jpg

I made another loosely optimized TAS of my route. It finishes with 269700 which is 1250 above my high score.

Video description with my strats

Spoiler

This is a loosely optimized human possible TAS of my route for this competition.

General Comments:
The number one trick to running this IRL is you can reset the timer by going back through the start. As soon as you mess up and lose time go back through the start to try again
Memorize which room is coming next and hold the buttons to start moving or blowing right away
Many of these strategies were obtained from watching RTA speedruns in particular from watching this tutorial: https://youtu.be/v1fNEcgWn54

Hall 1: 6590 is actually possible but for humans it requires getting lucky
Hall 3: To blow out the candle on the move you need to be facing right then release and press the A button when close
Hall 5: This room can be completed without stopping the fan, but if you do make sure to go back to hit the switch as it gives you 4k points
Hall 6: The lower route is faster obviously. Timing the cycle with the star takes some practice
Hall 9: The top route is impossible, even with TAS strats
Hall 10: It's not necessary to blow diagonally up to make it through the bottom path. I believe there is a two pixel window
Hall 13: Blowing the elephant gets you 4k points. I reset the timer to get a faster hall
Hall 14: Same thing as 13 but with a TV. Also, it is necessary to wait otherwise you will hit the second laser
Hall 16: I'm not sure if the other routes are possible, but all the RTA speed runs use the top path
Hall 17: It's possible to get an early cycle without waiting, but it seems pretty hard to do
Hall 20: This is the cycle I use. Others might be faster, but I was able to get this one very consistently
Hall 23: Another TV worth 4k points
Hall 25: Getting the early cycles takes some practice
Hall 28: Ok, time for the respawn glitch. It's possible to respawn your self at the exit of a hall by going back through the start and killing yourself at the same time (found by MUGG here https://youtu.be/W3javvTpnrk). This is one of the two hardest rooms to do it in as there is no flat surface to die on. To do it, you must blow the bubble to the last pixel and then you have a 1-3 frame window (depending on subpixel) to blow it diagonally down right and perform the glitch. I tend to be conservative and blow early to not waste too many lives.
Hall 30: The first cycle to pretty tight, so prepare yourself to act fast.
Hall 31: The most important thing I learned from watching the tutorial linked above, is that the bubble's hit box is smaller on the bottom and right. This is used on multiple levels, but it helps a lot with the stars in this hall
Hall 32: Another respawn glitch. This one is much easier
Hall 34: I found going to the bottom was most consistent

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Awesome, great job dissecting this game. There's some real charm here, like how it always says BUBBLE GHOST at the top of the screen for the whole game, the hidden stuff you can blow on for points, and of course the unique concept itself. Great GB game. Probably top 100. The controls are a little frustrating at first, but it really can't be done any other way. Would be interesting to see a similar game made with 2 control sticks, one for moving and one for facing.

• The topic was unpinned