IGNORED

Inflated NWC repro prices on eBay

Recently I have been doing a lot eBay  and other auction site searches on NWCs to see what the current retail is on the cart ,and I blown away by all the grossly inflated prices are on the repro carts ..Especially on eBay ,some sellers are listing this things at $600 and $700 ,I mean really for a repro?As an owner of a Official Grey NWC I am a little concerned by how “legit “some of these later NWC repros appear to be ..When RetroUSB released their version of the NWC repro I was happy to see they manufactured theirs to look nothing like an original cart ,it is unfortunate 1Up Retros have not fellowed that example.Except for the appearance of the Dipswitches the 1Up Retros version of both the Grey and the Gold NWC look dangerous close to the real things ..

With as much data as there is on the sale prices of legit ones it’s pretty much your own damn fault if you buy a repro thinking it’s real. I’ve got the 1up gold and I do agree it is very similar, but you’ve got to follow the internet golden rule; if it’s to good to be true, it is. 

Now if you have time to listen I’ve got a Nigerian Prince who wants to wire you $1 million US dollars in the coming days. 

3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

With as much data as there is on the sale prices of legit ones it’s pretty much your own damn fault if you buy a repro thinking it’s real. I’ve got the 1up gold and I do agree it is very similar, but you’ve got to follow the internet golden rule; if it’s to good to be true, it is. 

Now if you have time to listen I’ve got a Nigerian Prince who wants to wire you $1 million US dollars in the coming days. 

Yeah,I hear you ..The only repro I own is a CIB 25th Anniversary NWC Edition by RetroUSB,and the ONLY I own that is because it was signed by 2 of the original winners of the NWC ..

On 12/8/2019 at 10:24 AM, NES CONNOISSEUR said:

Recently I have been doing a lot eBay  and other auction site searches on NWCs to see what the current retail is on the cart ,and I blown away by all the grossly inflated prices are on the repro carts ..Especially on eBay ,some sellers are listing this things at $600 and $700 ,I mean really for a repro?As an owner of a Official Grey NWC I am a little concerned by how “legit “some of these later NWC repros appear to be ..When RetroUSB released their version of the NWC repro I was happy to see they manufactured theirs to look nothing like an original cart ,it is unfortunate 1Up Retros have not fellowed that example.Except for the appearance of the Dipswitches the 1Up Retros version of both the Grey and the Gold NWC look dangerous close to the real things ..

I had mine graded years ago by VGA before I sold it. With so many repros and fakes out there, it seemed like the sensible thing to do. I don't know if WATA has graded any yet. 

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had mine graded years ago by VGA before I sold it. With so many repros and fakes out there, it seemed like the sensible thing to do. I don't know if WATA has graded any yet. 

WATA has graded at least 8 Grey NWCs ,and Dennis the owner of WATA told me they have even graded 2 Gold Carts to date ..I thought about getting mine graded , but I am holding off for a while ..

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I just looked up those 1 up repros and the gold carts even offer a hand cut label option just like the real ones. I'm sure the boards are different, but they look dead on other than the gold dip switches.

^^Yes ,I know and that is the scariest part about it .

1 minute ago, NES CONNOISSEUR said:

WATA has graded at least 8 Grey NWCs ,and Dennis the owner of WATA told me they have even graded 2 Gold Carts to date ..I thought about getting mine graded , but I am holding off for a while ..

Interesting info. As far as I know VGA had only graded one gray cart (mine) and one gold (the guy I got my gray cart from), but that was years ago and I'm guessing once we sent ours in and sold them, other people did too.

7 minutes ago, NES CONNOISSEUR said:

^^Yes ,I know and that is the scariest part about it .

Since the gold cart repro looks dead on down to the hand cut label, what's stopping someone from taking a legit board out of a beater gray cart and making a legit looking gold one? It's probably already happened since all anyone would have needed is a Zelda 2 case, a tool to cut the hole and print off a label and how do you tell that from the real thing?

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Since the gold cart repro looks dead on down to the hand cut label, what's stopping someone from taking a legit board out of a beater gray cart and making a legit looking gold one? It's probably already happened since all anyone would have needed is a Zelda 2 case, a tool to cut the hole and print off a label and how do you tell that from the real thing?

^^Yes sir ..

19 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I hate how the gold carts don't match the beige interior of my Ford Fusion.

I think investing in a Gold NWC this day and age is particularly foolish ,because they can be faked so easily..Besides the Grey NWCs are far more appealing in appearance,and the fact they were the carts used in the actual competition adds to the Providence of the cart ..

Just now, NES CONNOISSEUR said:

I think investing in a Gold NWC this day and age is particularly foolish ,because they can be faked so easily..Besides the Grey NWCs are far more appealing in appearance,and the fact they were the carts used in the actual competition adds to the Providence of the cart ..

The gold carts look cooler and are rarer, but I wanted a gray since they were used in the competition. I didn't have it for long since getting laid off sucks, but it was cool to own one.

22 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The gold carts look cooler and are rarer, but I wanted a gray since they were used in the competition. I didn't have it for long since getting laid off sucks, but it was cool to own one.

^^ I actually disagree with you on the “gold carts look cooler “statement but I do agree they are rarer ..The Grey carts standout more with all the numbers and the overall label design ,the Gold carts in contrast look pretty basic /simple ..But that’s just me ..The Gold carts are but an afterthought,and they were made to look like as such ..

Edited by NES CONNOISSEUR

18 minutes ago, NES CONNOISSEUR said:

^^ I actually disagree with you on the “gold carts look cooler “statement but I do agree they are rarer ..The Grey carts standout more with all the numbers and the overall label design ,the Gold carts in contrast look pretty basic /simple ..But that’s just me ..The Gold carts are but an afterthought,and they were made to look like as such ..

For what its worth, I was offered both and went with the gray because they were the carts used in the competition. I didn't want to pay almost 3 times as much for a Nintendo Power giveaway.

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

For what its worth, I was offered both and went with the gray because they were the carts used in the competition. I didn't want to pay almost 3 times as much for a Nintendo Power giveaway.

For me I feel it is a very risky investment in today’s market to purchase a Gold NWC ,unless it was one of the ones that can be traced back to DreamTR’s stash ..Or a verifiable original owner ..

Edited by NES CONNOISSEUR