IGNORED

How some dude named Dom shipped my TurboDuo CIB

Gex

Wow that is terrible. I'm sorry. Don't accept that. Time to fight for a return/refund. I assume a premium was paid since it included the box. So you need to be compensated for sure. What kind of feedback does this guy have? Is it an Ebay store selling games? Or just your average Joe? Someone who knows what the Duo is worth should know the box has value.

I've got an Atari 5200 box that went through exactly this. Except this 5200 was shipped brand new like this, not 25 years later. It has the OG shipping label on it.

It blows my mind in general that when somebody goes out of their way to buy ANYTHING that is still in the box, the seller does not assume 100% of the time, "This person probably specifically bought my item because it still has the box!"

I could see it if it was an electric keyboard for instance, because where are you going to find a box bigger than that, the last time I had this happen to me was with a specific box of $100 wine glasses that needed to match a set used at a wedding, and the seller using the box to ship it in ruined the illusion that they were the original glasses.

• Like 2

Truly sorry this happens but every time it's posted I want to remind others that if you ever buy anything in a sizable box or that's rare, ask, ask, ask the seller how they will ship it.  I've bought some high dollar items and I immediate emailed the seller and said "this is an extremely hard to find item.  Please ship it well, and I will cover any extra fees."

I know that might be "risky" because they could try to cancel the sell and think they have something worth 10x what it really is worth, but I've never had issue doing this, and I've never had to pay more.  Regardless, if the seller ends up lying about their shipping method, then you have plenty of info for Ebay to see the seller said specifically how they would ship it.

Now, I know there was the Miracle Piano story from NA (and someone else already mentioned it.) Have those photos been reposted here yet? That's a bit of seller shame warning that deserves to be preserved somewhere on the internets.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

I've made it a rule to always ask the seller to politely package the items box within a cardboard shipping box, and let him know I'm a collector.  If I don't hear back from them, or they give me some smart ass remark I don't pay them.  9/10 times they're totally cool, but it's best to speak up first before they ship it.

On 12/8/2019 at 4:19 PM, Gex said:

I'd agree with this if there wasn't plastic chunks from the console bouncing around inside with the 20lb power brick, oh and zero packaging. It's funny because he advertised the Duo as more valuable because the box/console had matching serial ##'s, but then decides to ruin the box with extremely adhesive packing tape?

Soooooo like no matter how you look at this he fked up

Did you win it for way below market price?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 2:31 AM, acromite53 said:

Wow that is terrible. I'm sorry. Don't accept that. Time to fight for a return/refund. I assume a premium was paid since it included the box. So you need to be compensated for sure. What kind of feedback does this guy have? Is it an Ebay store selling games? Or just your average Joe? Someone who knows what the Duo is worth should know the box has value.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:02 PM, phart010 said:

Did you win it for way below market price?

It was from some oldschool electronics store on eBay. Guy had some negative feedback, reading them you can get a carefree sense from him. As they all sounded like easy problems he could've worked out.
His asking was very low, I just happened to check eBay at a good time. Only bought this with hopes it came with games or extra inserts my CIB Duo is missing, only had 2 pictures in the listing. Seller definitely didn't understand the value.

I've had at least two cases back in the day where I order a set of baseball cards and all they do is send the set box wrapped in brown paper and many others who didn't use enough packing protection (peanuts/bubble wrap) so the cards ended up ruined.  And the worst part was that this was back in the days (early/mid 2000s) when Ebay sellers would try to pull that whole "if you don't pay extra for insurance and the item arrives ruined/damaged/whatever, sorry". 😞  I mean seriously, what happened to the OP is just pure carelessness and laziness and the seller should know better!  Yes it's true you can get a refund but if my experience is any indication, the OP had his heart set on that particular console and who knows how long it'll be before another one like it even shows up again? 😞

Edited by Estil

On 12/7/2019 at 4:46 PM, Gloves said:

I don't see the issue, it's a box. You ship game consoles in boxes! I'm sure the console inside is fine!

He wasn't buying it for the console inside!  If he just wanted the console he would've gotten just the console!  He bought this new (or at least CIB) to have as a collector's item (since of course it's far more difficult to get it new or CIB), at least that's what I'm presuming.

• Confused 1

Sorry for the slow response, still getting transitioning from NA to the sage.

EKNOlIt.jpg

Anyways here's the outcome of the Paypal claim, really tried to work it out with the seller to prevent this. He didn't want it shipped back, didn't offer a reasonable refund, couldn't message me back half the time ect.. Even told me to go ahead with the claim.
As a bonus, looking at the Duo box I just now realized the serial numbers don't even match. Which was a main selling point he had on his listing.

When i purchased this, I fully expected the sound caps to need replacing as well. I've bought many wild Duo's/expresses over the years and have never once made a fuss about this. It's unrealistic from the avg joe to know this, and I just work the recapping price into the sale. But the Duo didn't work when tested, which he said it worked in the listing. But through eBay messages, he said the Duo wasn't even tested! 🤪

So even though I received a full refund already i've decided to refund him the amount I would've been able to resell the boxed Dup for, minus the damages he caused. I don't think it was great for him to suddenly be out $300 right after Christmas, or that he really knew the negative implications of a Paypal claim. So instead of profiting more from this, i'll just deduct the rough monetary damage from the refund and send him whats left.

Edited by Gex
  • Like 2

While I'm glad to hear you got the refund I'm saddened that such a thing was even necessary.  I mean correct me if I'm wrong but I imagine those Turbo Duo CIBs (or probably most any retro console in true CIB condition) are really hard to come by.  I know exactly how that feels; for example you see on Ebay and such billions of those North Carolina Collegiate Collection sets/wax boxes (remember when Shop-At-Home would loudly shout JORDAN COLLEGE ROOKIES!!!! at these cards that were released in 1989, several years after Jordan played in college?) but OTOH, it took me YEARS to find even ONE 1989 and much later 1988 Kentucky Collegiate Collection set.  So anytime I find a card set like that I especially hope and pray it arrives safely because who knows if/when you'll ever get another chance?

Wow dude you won AND refunded part of the refund back.  You're just too kind, especially considering the extra layers of info you just dropped.  One was carefree and innocent stupidity, but when you add in the fact he lied about serials, lied about it works (as in UNTESTED but said otherwise) I would have been not so generous on any form of a return as that's layers of outright lying and deceit.  Had it worked and didn't lie, and it was about bungling the box, then I'd likely have done the same but well yeah...  good on you though.