IGNORED

Cinemassacre's deep analysis on TMNT1

buttheadrulesagain

Again that's that revisionist history. People want to exploit others to get their egos stroked, a lot of attention they lacked in life, and the obvious more recent years of online panhandling like a leech for coin.  You basically need a shtick, or you stand out revising history on how so called bad quite a few games are which in enough of the cases they're just not bad.  They may not be A games either but I see enough solid B's get crapped on like a dumpster fire and it's undeserved.  It's like the youtube version of the lame video game media with their clickbait stories to get some revenue... spin a pack of lies, fire people up, get some bank out of it.

I don't recall anyone in that period or even int he 90s until the net really took off thinking stuff like TMNT1, Festers Quest, and various others being awful, let alone bad or even boring, they were either good but not great, or just a hard game but worth the effort.  SUre some games were complete garbage, and they got ripped on by kids, adults, the print media and it was more deserved.  You'd get true burns for corner cutting visuals and audio, bad stage design, stupid bugs that weaken or ruin the experience and that needed to be done.  But you didn't have people Insert other media going into like GHosts n Goblins calling it a mediocre or poor conversion of the arcade game that was just garbage.  It was thought well of, other than learning you had to do it twice with the right weapon of course.  Zelda 2 was not dumped on, minimally I guess at best, because there was nothing to go by calling that game weird or irregular as it would appear now years later.

• Like 1

Out of all of these games, Zelda 2 is probably the only one I do recall getting a lot of backlash. People disliked it for both being different and hard, and I think it actually has gotten a bit of a renaissance in more recent years. That said, I think this backlash is mostly based on a general expected level of quality for the Zelda series (nevermind the fact that Zelda 2 absolutely is quality! 🙂), where no one really had anything to compare Fester's Quest against.

I'll even shamefully admit that for years, in fact until Link's Awakening first came out, I had the dumb idea that I didn't like Zelda games at all, because I felt so burned by Z2 having rented it as a kid. Much later in my life I'd return to that game and find out I was just a dumb kid - the game is great.

I remember when his 'older' videos were new.  My friends and I loved them because it was refreshing to hear someone yell at these things that we all were familiar with.  It was incredibly satisfying and entertaining.  Of course it was blown out of proportion but there was nothing like it.  "Yeah that Dam level DID suck!".  I dont know if its 'revisionist' history but I will always prefer his older stuff because it was more passionate and relate-able to people my age.  Still really dig the new stuff but I love the vitriol of the older stuff, especially since there was so much to go on.  Now its harder to find that kind of stuff.