Andy_Bogomil

Are you completely done?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you completely done?

• Yes
    • No
    • May stop by to see the new site

13 hours ago, B.A. said:

Or they let it go because they were slow to react and the cat was out of the bag.  They would look even worse censoring everything at that point.  Damage control.  That gets my vote. 

I'd go along with that too.  Doesn't help that they suddenly downgraded your access from Admin to Moderator at what appears to be the same time.  Even if you'd already stepped down in any official capacity (which seems less likely, given that you're still showing mod status on the site as of this morning), the timing seems awfully suspect and potentially meant as a quiet statement on their part.

• Like 1

Just now, darkchylde28 said:

I'd go along with that too.  Doesn't help that they suddenly downgraded your access from Admin to Moderator at what appears to be the same time.  Even if you'd already stepped down in any official capacity (which seems less likely, given that you're still showing mod status on the site as of this morning), the timing seems awfully suspect and potentially meant as a quiet statement on their part.

Haha, isn't that funny!  They actually booted me to regular member status for like an hour, then went back and made me a moderator.

• Haha 2

I'll go back for information in old threads, but I'm done contributing to the site. There aren't a lot of hard feelings, but I'm not interested in building what the owners view as a commodity to be used, bought, or sold; that's not a community to me. The new site itself only interests me insofar as if it will carry over all of the data from the old site. The one exception is where I owe someone else a post, like Kevin with The Assembly Line updates. I'm not even sure if I'll post about new games that I'm working on or selling over there (the test for that will be coming very soon 😉 ).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

In their defense it makes total sense to do that to someone with that much control over the site especially considering that they now call a competitor home.

32 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Haha, isn't that funny!  They actually booted me to regular member status for like an hour, then went back and made me a moderator.

I guess it's to avoid the appearance of being as butt-hurt about it as they obviously are?  😁  Seriously, anybody paying any amount of actual attention to what's been going on with the community and what little response there has been from the new owners (since the beginning) should be able to see what's going on without reading too much between the lines.  Sad to see so many faces I recognize seeming to side with the "wrong side" in all of this.  Hopefully said folks will eventually see the light when substantial traffic dries up over there (or the plug gets completely pulled, which is a possibility given the platform it's built on) and migrate over here, even if it's in a "dual citizen" capacity.

Additionally, I do find it kind of funny that they're now putting their foot down about folks talking about or endorsing the new place.  I know it wasn't extremely prevalent in the past, but I recall seeing mentions, references to, and recommendations to other communities provided where appropriate and nobody ever batting an eye over it.  It will be interesting to see if bans on other communities is universal, or just applicable to VGS.  If it's the latter, it'll be very telling, even by those who don't want to see it.

5 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

In their defense it makes total sense to do that to someone with that much control over the site especially considering that they now call a competitor home.

That does make sense, but they've had how long, now, to take that action against him?  They could have also come out in the open with what they were doing, versus leaving BA or members to notice that it had occurred.  I don't blame that sort of position on their part at all, but the manner in which it was done, and behind closed doors, with zero warning or pre-emptive/on-the-spot explanation just paints a bad picture, even if the intentions were honest.

Edited by darkchylde28

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I guess it's to avoid the appearance of being as butt-hurt about it as they obviously are?  😁  Seriously, anybody paying any amount of actual attention to what's been going on with the community and what little response there has been from the new owners (since the beginning) should be able to see what's going on without reading too much between the lines.  Sad to see so many faces I recognize seeming to side with the "wrong side" in all of this.  Hopefully said folks will eventually see the light when substantial traffic dries up over there (or the plug gets completely pulled, which is a possibility given the platform it's built on) and migrate over here, even if it's in a "dual citizen" capacity.

Additionally, I do find it kind of funny that they're now putting their foot down about folks talking about or endorsing the new place.  I know it wasn't extremely prevalent in the past, but I recall seeing mentions, references to, and recommendations to other communities provided where appropriate and nobody ever batting an eye over it.  It will be interesting to see if bans on other communities is universal, or just applicable to VGS.  If it's the latter, it'll be very telling, even by those who don't want to see it.

To be fair, and also transparent and honest with people - B.A. requested to step down long before any of the NA server outage/change occurred.  They just weren't around or active in any capacity, so they never did it. 

Also, I don't see them stopping the spamming for VGS as inappropriate censoring.  I'd imagine they wouldn't have a problem with people talking about other places, even adding links occasionally.  But the level of spamming was such that I think it's very reasonable.  If people came to VGS now and did the same thing, we would probably have to do something - particularly if there were comments in welcome threads directing people to another forum.  

There are plenty of other completely legitimate reasons as to why I would hope people would move to VGS and support us, given everything that has happened and how I believe we truly stand for the community - that I don't think there is any need to criticize them for what I believe are pretty reasonable moves.  That's why I want to set the record straight about things such as above.  

The people owning and managing VGS....ARE a part of the community, and we actively care about fostering it without any business or profit-focused intentions.  We are dedicated to this, and I think that should hopefully speak volumes and be strong enough reasons for people to want to join us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spacepup said:

To be fair, and also transparent and honest with people - B.A. requested to step down long before any of the NA server outage/change occurred.  They just weren't around or active in any capacity, so they never did it. 

Also, I don't see them stopping the spamming for VGS as inappropriate censoring.  I'd imagine they wouldn't have a problem with people talking about other places, even adding links occasionally.  But the level of spamming was such that I think it's very reasonable.  If people came to VGS now and did the same thing, we would probably have to do something - particularly if there were comments in welcome threads directing people to another forum.  

There are plenty of other completely legitimate reasons as to why I would hope people would move to VGS and support us, given everything that has happened and how I believe we truly stand for the community - that I don't think there is any need to criticize them for what I believe are pretty reasonable moves.  That's why I want to set the record straight about things such as above.  

The people owning and managing VGS....ARE a part of the community, and we actively care about fostering it without any business or profit-focused intentions.  We are dedicated to this, and I think that should hopefully speak volumes and be strong enough reasons for people to want to join us.

Ah, wasn't aware that he'd already asked to step down.  The timing of them taking him up on his request as well as putting the banhammer on "no longer allow[ing] any type of spam or promotional posts about the new forum" does seem awfully convenient, though.  I totally get banning true spamming and such, as that was always disallowed under the rules.  But rereading the updates from yesterday, it seems like this is pointed solely at VGS, which flies in the face of what I mentioned before, other communities being mentioned (and endorsed) in the past without issue or potentially implied threat of retribution.  I can understand and respect downgrading BA (in/with context) and putting an end to spamming regarding VGA, but not the absolute ban on discussion/endorsement of it that the current update from new management provided.  And again, with transparency at a minimum from the new owners/operators, the timing seems awfully convenient.

You guys were and have been awesome.  It's glowingly obvious that you folks truly stand for and by the community.  I hope that isn't lost on the folks who haven't transitioned over or simply joined an additional community, as loyalty to "NA" really doesn't mean what it once did.

Just an extra reminder- try to have some class upon your exit over there and not be too dicky on your way out.

It's okay to let people know where you're heading, but let's not shit all over a bunch of threads there.   They do still have people that plan on staying there, and that should be respected at least (even if you have zero respect for the new owners like me).

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

(even if you have zero respect for the new owners like me).

I'm not quite at that point, but as a non-insider, I can definitely understand that feeling.  With that said, my suspicions have been up since the beginning, with Jeff jumping the gun to plant his flag and try to lull everybody with corporate-smacking doubletalk before Dain even had a chance to make an announcement to anybody.  The lack of response directly to members and the reports by the former (and present) staff continued to color my opinion of them.  I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the more time passes, the harder and harder it becomes to do, especially since everything that actually does come out has such a high level of polish on it (whether well done or not) that it's seems like they could be answering questions much more frequently and doing more caretaking of the place, they just aren't.  Balance that against posts asking honest, but sometimes critical questions disappearing without a word and it's not too hard to reach the conclusion that they just don't care.  I wouldn't say that's a totally foregone conclusion at this point (as they did step in yesterday to put their foot down about folks spamming about this place, which is a fair point and reaction), but where there's smoke...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I'm not quite at that point, but as a non-insider, I can definitely understand that feeling.  With that said, my suspicions have been up since the beginning, with Jeff jumping the gun to plant his flag and try to lull everybody with corporate-smacking doubletalk before Dain even had a chance to make an announcement to anybody.  The lack of response directly to members and the reports by the former (and present) staff continued to color my opinion of them.  I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the more time passes, the harder and harder it becomes to do, especially since everything that actually does come out has such a high level of polish on it (whether well done or not) that it's seems like they could be answering questions much more frequently and doing more caretaking of the place, they just aren't.  Balance that against posts asking honest, but sometimes critical questions disappearing without a word and it's not too hard to reach the conclusion that they just don't care.  I wouldn't say that's a totally foregone conclusion at this point (as they did step in yesterday to put their foot down about folks spamming about this place, which is a fair point and reaction), but where there's smoke...

...they're trying to blow it up your ass in this case.

From seeing the staff side of it both before I stepped down and some of the things I've been privy to after, I don't care for anything the new-NA stands for.  I get that they're for profit and all, but either give a shit about the place or don't instead of half-assing (or in their case maybe one-sixteenth-assing?) everything there.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

I'll still be checking in regularly, even if stuff doesn't get transitioned over properly. Hell that'd make me check in more actually, just to see the outrage over that.

It takes me 30 seconds to just go on, look at threads, see if there's anything new, then go on with my merry day, so while I totally understand the viewpoint of just never going back there ever again, for me personally I see no reason for me to just drop it cold turkey. I already wasn't posting much so I doubt I'll contribute much beyond lurking, but honestly I'm naturally more of a lurker anyway due to my introverted nature so that won't be too big of a change. It's sad to see the path it's taken for sure, but I don't have so much genuine hatred for it that I'll just sign out and never come back.