Done with NA?

Andy_Bogomil

Are you completely done?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you completely done?

• Yes
    • No
    • May stop by to see the new site

Like many, NA was my online home (in my case for the last 8 years)

I'm torn. Watching the slow decline has been painful in many ways. However, the pending work on 10/31 has me at a crossroads. Do I hope it survives the migration in some form, such that we have a bit more time to wander about, or do I secretly hope it just fails to come back up?

As awful as it may sound, I'd prefer the later. Like a bandaid, remove it quickly. I'd rather not have to watch it degrade further and further... because to the point of this thread: yes, I will continue to visit so long as I am able. 

It's hard to imagine writing it off completely.  There is tons of great information in the forum database.  Heck, googling basically anything Nintendo collecting related gets you many informative nintendoage results.  You won't get that immediately from this site. 

Did someone backup that forum database by the way?  Or is it just a matter of time before it just all gets "lost" ?

2 hours ago, LaC said:

Did someone backup that forum database by the way?  Or is it just a matter of time before it just all gets "lost" ?

That is the primary reason NA was purchased. So it's not lost per se, but it's probably not going to be around in the same form. 

Just now, B.A. said:

That is the primary reason NA was purchased. So it's not lost per se, but it's probably not going to be around in the same form. 

Is it really though? The NADB was really lackluster for anything beyond the 768 US NES games, and even there, the “Developers” on virtually every other title was wrong or randomized or something.

I feel the site was purchased just literally for the reputation and namesake alone and GoCollect just dragged their feet a little too long.

21 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Is it really though? The NADB was really lackluster for anything beyond the 768 US NES games, and even there, the “Developers” on virtually every other title was wrong or randomized or something.

I feel the site was purchased just literally for the reputation and namesake alone and GoCollect just dragged their feet a little too long.

I was referring to the database of forum messages.

Took me way longer than I would have liked to log out of all the devices I had for NA, but I think I signed off on my last one sometime last night.  I have no desire to log back on and I won't be checking in on the place if/when it updates.

The people who created the site while I was there have left.  The mods and admin team who worked endlessly to keep it afloat have left.  I don't particularly like the new owners or the companies so many of the people behind the scenes are associated with, and all my friends for the most part are here.

It's unfortunate that things went down the way they did, but what can you do?  This is where I'll be staying exclusively and I'm perfectly happy with that. 

• Like 5

Not trying to fan the flames of hatred or anything but the following update was posted to Jim's thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=7&threadid=189079

• Update (10.23.2019): 
    • The GoCollect team has been hard at work getting everything migrated over to the new platform. We've had multiple people reach out to us asking if we've heard about the new forum that was launched by some of the previous admins and moderators. The answer is yes, we saw it pretty much right away. The reason why we haven't deleted any of the previous posts promoting the new forum is that we genuinely care about the video game community and if people want to join another forum, we support that. That said, NintendoAge will only be bigger and better in a short period of time. 
    • Starting shortly, we will no longer allow any type of spam or promotional posts about the new forum. 
    • I will start answering questions as well as give you all other updates either Friday or Saturday this week. The reason for the delay is that I want to make sure we give you all accurate information and we need a little more time.

...and the announcement thread for this forum was locked:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=189068

• Like 1

To be fair, can you really blame them for prohibiting promotion of the new site in the future as well as locking that thread? It’s a competing forum that is taking their user base. The fact that they let that go on at all shows that either they don’t care at all about the community or they totally do and want people to be able to band together and leave if they want. Realistically, they probably mostly wanted the historical data on the site.

• Like 1

Just make sure if you're done there for good to delete all your PMs so they can't be used for anything.

Easy to clear them all at once on Vintage; there's a button at the bottom that says "clear before" and poof!  (Thanks to whoever pointed that out before; way easier).

And at least somebody there is paying attention.  Technically they see us as a competitor even though we have no corporate agenda, so it would make sense.

I'm logging out of there on my last device today.  May peek in as a guest next month to see what they ended up doing with the place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

To be fair, can you really blame them for prohibiting promotion of the new site in the future as well as locking that thread? It’s a competing forum that is taking their user base. The fact that they let that go on at all shows that either they don’t care at all about the community or they totally do and want people to be able to band together and leave if they want. Realistically, they probably mostly wanted the historical data on the site.

I agree with you 100%. Was just passing that info along to those that were curious and no longer logging in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Or they let it go because they were slow to react and the cat was out of the bag.  They would look even worse censoring everything at that point.  Damage control.  That gets my vote. 

• Like 4