IGNORED

95 Mustang. Project. Advice

docile tapeworm

Many regard this as the worst generation of Mustang. But, as long as the ad is accurate, it is one of the 2 transition year versions where it still had the 5.0 from the previous gen model which is a huge plus compared to the rest of them. As the previous poster said, watch out for rust. Either way, be prepared to more or less tear the entire thing apart and replace it all. It might run and drive, but you have no idea how well. After 24 years, a lot of things are gonna need to be replaced. And not just the fun make it go fast type stuff. I’m talkin more utilitarian chassis type stuff. But, if you’re looking to get this thing race ready, that might be exactly what you want since you’d have to upgrade it all anyhow.

• Like 3

@MachineCode thank you. Not really looking to race it. Maybe heads, throttle body and exhaust? And whatever else would need upgraded to match. 

chasis stuff like shocks, springs, bushings, steering?

where specifically should I look for the rust on this car? I mean any notorious spots? 

why is it regarded as the worst? Honest question.

Edited by skinnygrinny

I have a 1994 GT convertible. Owned it for seventeen years now. It's nearly identical except the color (mine is white with a black top) and the wheels (mine had chrome in the same style, but I replaced them with something else.)

It's heavier than the Fox body Mustangs, so it isn't as favored for drag racing. But mechanically it's nearly identical, so the engine and transmission are time tested.

Check the usual spots for rust, as well as the extra bracing for the convertible. If it lived its life in Florida, it's probably fine.

Nothing notorious about them, just wear and tear at this point. Parts are super cheap except the ABS computer.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 3

Basically what @Tulpa said. They don't have any known chassis defects, but 24 years of wear and tear can make things loose and bouncy feeling which can be dangerous with a heavy engine and a decent amount of power. Parts are generally super cheap and that motor is a tank as long as it was decently cared for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MachineCode said:

Basically what @Tulpa said. They don't have any known chassis defects, but 24 years of wear and tear can make things loose and bouncy feeling which can be dangerous with a heavy engine and a decent amount of power. Parts are generally super cheap and that motor is a tank as long as it was decently cared for.

I’ve always liked the 302 

For a project car, $1500 feels fair for that if the engine/tranny are in decent shape.  If either of those have obvious issues i wouldn't offer more than $500 given the obvious work needed.  If the AC works as stated that's a good sign for such an old car.

I agree with a lot of the posts, you're going to need to go through everything for a car in that shape.  Assuming it was stored where it's shown, is the interior shot?  "Covered up" is sketchy.  May need entirely new carpets and such which could be a fun project on it's own.  If there was significant water in the interior, I'd test all the electronics too as that could lead you down a nightmarish path.  Consider mold etc.

I'd expect the need for all new suspension, bushings everywhere, likely tires, all fluids front to back.  I don't know a ton about Mustangs, but I've heard working on convertibles alone can drive people mad.

But all in all, that would be a fun ass project car and I'd definitely tackle it if the engine/tranny ran ok and if electronics seemed in good order.  I like that generation quite a bit, I think they look mean as hell with straight pipes out the back.  I'd see about modding the tails to have the 3 tick flicker or whatever it is on the newer stangs - those are dope.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you go check it out?

I did. Interior has mold and it’s wet. 
ac turned in.

motor started right up/ sounded good. 
Pretty clean under the hood. 

didn’t get under it to check for rust. 
windows didn’t work.

didnt try the top. 

not a bad project but a big one. Don’t know if I have the time. 

gonna get pops out to look at it.

Edited by skinnygrinny

4 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

I did. Interior has mold and it’s wet. 
ac turned in.

motor started right up/ sounded good. 
Pretty clean under the hood. 

didn’t get under it to check for rust. 
windows didn’t work.

didnt try the top. 

not a bad project but a big one. Don’t know if I have the time. 

gonna get pops out to look at it.

If the seats are salvageable, I wouldn't let the wet/mold scare you too bad, but you'll definitely have to gut the inside and treat/clean it 100% - probably install new carpet (they have precut pieces online).  Based on what you said, my biggest worry would be the electronics.  If the windows don't work that is a red flag.

If you are still interested, consider lowballing him with the mold situation.  I'd say good chance they just want to get rid of it, I'd explain the need to gut the entire car inside/out and offer $500 tops.

• Thanks 1

You can find a much nicer starter mustang for a little more money. By the time you put money into that, you could pick up a decent new edge mustang 99-04 without issues. If your set on that mustang or that model, walk that price down. I'd agree with other users and offer less than a grand on that one. I see V8 new edges all the time in my neck of the woods for decent prices. I'm sure the right one is out there waiting on you and your dad to bring it back. As far as rust, check the rear fenders, floor pans and trunk area. My mustang is an 02 fastback V6 auto, leather and 145k with everything working. I paid less than 1500 and the 3800 is an excellent motor that has enough umph to push my car around.  

Edited by Ghost Soldier
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ghost Soldier said:

You can find a much nicer starter mustang for a little more money. By the time you put money into that, you could pick up a decent new edge mustang 99-04 without issues. If your set on that mustang or that model, walk that price down. I'd agree with other users and offer less than a grand on that one. I see V8 new edges all the time in my neck of the woods for decent prices. I'm sure the right one is out there waiting on you and your dad to bring it back. As far as rust, check the rear fenders, floor pans and trunk area. My mustang is an 02 fastback V6 auto, leather and 145k with everything working. I paid less than 1500 and the 3800 is an excellent motor that has enough umph to push my car around.  

Not really the same. The 94-95 had a different, bigger, more powerful motor. Going for a 99-04 loses you .4L of displacement.

^The 281 isn't the greatest but does have some decent HP and TQ numbers

1994-2004 MUSTANG GT SPECS

• 1994-1995 Mustang GT V8 5.0L OHV (302 cid) 215 hp & 285 lb-ft tq
  • 1996-1997 Mustang GT V8 4.6L SOHC (281 cid) 215 hp & 285 lb-ft tq
  • 1998 Mustang GT V8 4.6L SOHC (281 cid) 225 hp & 290 lb-ft tq
  • 1999-2004 Mustang GT V8 4.6L SOHC PI Head Design (281 cid) 260 hp & 302 lb-ft tq
Edited by Ghost Soldier

14 hours ago, Ghost Soldier said:

^The 281 isn't the greatest but does have some decent HP and TQ numbers

1994-2004 MUSTANG GT SPECS

• 1994-1995 Mustang GT V8 5.0L OHV (302 cid) 215 hp & 285 lb-ft tq
  • 1996-1997 Mustang GT V8 4.6L SOHC (281 cid) 215 hp & 285 lb-ft tq
  • 1998 Mustang GT V8 4.6L SOHC (281 cid) 225 hp & 290 lb-ft tq
  • 1999-2004 Mustang GT V8 4.6L SOHC PI Head Design (281 cid) 260 hp & 302 lb-ft tq

Wow, the 90's 5.0 only had 215hp?!?  The torque is decent but damn, my stock Park Ave Ultra that ran from 97-05 has 240hp and similar torque figures - that's bananas.

Just now, Boosted52405 said:

Wow, the 90's 5.0 only had 215hp?!?  The torque is decent but damn, my stock Park Ave Ultra that ran from 97-05 has 240hp and similar torque figures - that's bananas.

It was the same as the Fox bodies from the previous generation. In stock form they had a lot of restrictions. The stock intake sucks, the heads could be better. Thank God for the aftermarket scene.

• Like 1