IGNORED

Hong Kong Mah Jong

DefaultGen

7 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

all hkg games have an hkg code, sure. nes-rc-hkg is the game code, just like excitebike is nes-eb-hkg and so on. i'm confident because i have one and it was in japanese when i tested it. here you can see the pcb and here you can see the cart running. if your friend has a loose copy on hand, ask him to test it, it will be in japanese 🙂

i haven't dumped it but it looks to be just like all the other hkg games - rom from another existing region, with a different lockout chip (3196A).

not sure what the manual would clear up? all we need is a proper dump. i only have a GB/GBA dumper. dumping hkg nes games is surely something worth doing for preservation.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.  The manual is the second best source for confirming if the rules are different but given you have a cart it isn’t needed.   

I’ll update the string, about if he dumped it and if he put the rom up anywhere, once I hear back from him.

That'd be great, as I don't have access to my cart at the moment. Let me know if you find a dump anywhere else too... I looked a bit but came up with nothing.

Also, I'm no expert but the ROM itself could be slightly different because of the different region lockout, or have some different headers/ID, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't match 100% the Japanese ROM.

I've always wanted to make sure the ROM of HKG/ASI games match those of another region. not sure if someone has verified HKG dumps we could use for checking, i'm sure several peeps around here have more common titles like Super Mario HKG or Tetris ASI.