Jump to content
IGNORED

Hong Kong Mah Jong


DefaultGen
 Share

Recommended Posts

Assuming we're not talking about the HKGC versions - I know (believe I remember) one cart sold back in 2009 for around 800 euros. but that info is probably of little use to you.

I heard as a rumor (read in some Facebook thread somewhere) that one sold for 3000 euro some years ago (cart only), but don't know how valid it is. Honestly seems unbelievable.

So the above info is all smoke and mirrors and hearsay - But:

If you're looking to do a NES fullset, consider swapping the Hong Kong Version of Mah Jong with the Famicom Box version. The Famicom Box version is inside a gorgeous black NES cartridge AND it's a 72 pin game. Essentially every bit as much a NES game as the Hong Kong version at a fraction of the price!

If you want it to be more uniform in looks with the other NES carts, go with the Famicom Station variant, which is a gray cart.

The black cart pictured is one I used to own, the gray cart is one I pulled off of eBay right now. The board is one of the boards for the Famicombox cartridges I had, don't know if it's the one for Mah Jong or nor, but they all looked kinda liked that, were 72 pin and played fine on a NES with the region lockout disabled. Glitched a bit in 50hz (PAL), played flawlessly in 60 hz. (NTSC)

 

Mahjong FC box.jpg

Famicom station.png

PCB.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
On 12/7/2019 at 7:06 PM, tordur said:

Assuming we're not talking about the HKGC versions - I know (believe I remember) one cart sold back in 2009 for around 800 euros. but that info is probably of little use to you.

I heard as a rumor (read in some Facebook thread somewhere) that one sold for 3000 euro some years ago (cart only), but don't know how valid it is. Honestly seems unbelievable.

So the above info is all smoke and mirrors and hearsay - But:

If you're looking to do a NES fullset, consider swapping the Hong Kong Version of Mah Jong with the Famicom Box version. The Famicom Box version is inside a gorgeous black NES cartridge AND it's a 72 pin game. Essentially every bit as much a NES game as the Hong Kong version at a fraction of the price!

If you want it to be more uniform in looks with the other NES carts, go with the Famicom Station variant, which is a gray cart.

The black cart pictured is one I used to own, the gray cart is one I pulled off of eBay right now. The board is one of the boards for the Famicombox cartridges I had, don't know if it's the one for Mah Jong or nor, but they all looked kinda liked that, were 72 pin and played fine on a NES with the region lockout disabled. Glitched a bit in 50hz (PAL), played flawlessly in 60 hz. (NTSC)

 

Mahjong FC box.jpg

Famicom station.png

PCB.jpgTotally agree, it’s a good alternative!  Quick note: I’m not convinced the gray carts are Famicom Station exclusively.  I reached out to an admin at Famicom World (where I first heard this) and they weren’t able to find their documentation of where this comes from.  I have seen 2 sales of boxed Famicom Stations (one was dead new) and both came with Black carts.  (Sorry to nit pick on the smallest part of your post; it’s just a topic of interest for me 🙂 )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Member · Posted

I don't know the last time one sold, I seem to remember one that was available in a Facebook group a few years back, maybe like 2016 or so, I believe it had the box with it (my memory is fuzzy but for some reason I think it didn't have a manual?) and I saw it get posted a few times over maybe like a ~month period before I stopped seeing it so I guess that's when it sold.

My guess about "fair market" value is ~$3K for a used CIB copy (which used CIB is what I'd want). The Hong Kong games are dope but I don't think there's a huge market of people that collect them, Mah Jong is basically a stupid title where it isn't notable for any reason whatsoever other than the extreme rarity of it being an officially licensed Nintendo game, and people seem to be moving money away from CIB and into new/sealed or "investment" type games increasingly lately. I don't really see Mah Jong as a smart title to pick up for the investment value compared to other titles, and full set collecting is less popular than it's ever been. So despite that absolute insane level of rarity of it I don't think that the monetary value of it has also gone up that much in the overall game collecting market the way other games and items have. So that's why I am speculating $3K for its "fair market" value (like if it were hypothetically auctioned off) instead of like $10K or $20K or something like that. But this is just my judgement maybe I'm completely wrong IDK. Just speculating. 😏🙂. For an item like this though where literally only 1 copy would sell in maybe 5 years, if one were to change hands, it would really come down to what the seller lists it for and what a buyer decides to pay for it, so a hypothetical new sale price of it could really be anything.

How many known copies are there of it? Isn't there only like 5 or so known copies that come with the box? How many loose carts?

Edited by nick
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nick said:

I don't know the last time one sold, I seem to remember one that was available in a Facebook group a few years back, maybe like 2016 or so, I believe it had the box with it (my memory is fuzzy but for some reason I think it didn't have a manual?) and I saw it get posted a few times over maybe like a ~month period before I stopped seeing it so I guess that's when it sold.

My guess about "fair market" value is ~$3K for a used CIB copy (which used CIB is what I'd want). The Hong Kong games are dope but I don't think there's a huge market of people that collect them, Mah Jong is basically a stupid title where it isn't notable for any reason whatsoever other than the extreme rarity of it being an officially licensed Nintendo game, and people seem to be moving money away from CIB and into new/sealed or "investment" type games increasingly lately. I don't really see Mah Jong as a smart title to pick up for the investment value compared to other titles, and full set collecting is less popular than it's ever been. So despite that absolute insane level of rarity of it I don't think that the monetary value of it has also gone up that much in the overall game collecting market the way other games and items have. So that's why I am speculating $3K for its "fair market" value (like if it were hypothetically auctioned off) instead of like $10K or $20K or something like that. But this is just my judgement maybe I'm completely wrong IDK. Just speculating. 😏🙂. For an item like this though where literally only 1 copy would sell in maybe 5 years, if one were to change hands, it would really come down to what the seller lists it for and what a buyer decides to pay for it, so a hypothetical new sale price of it could really be anything.

How many known copies are there of it? Isn't there only like 5 or so known copies that come with the box? How many loose carts?

HK Mahjong is notable because the rules are different than standard Mahjong.  And at my age, I’d much rather play it than Stadium Events 😬. A guy I know in Germany has a loose copy I believe he picked up in the last 5 years or so.  I’ve seen maybe 2 other copies online over the years (never for sale) but I’m not actively looking so maybe I’ve missed some.  If I had to take the over under on $3k I’d say over but I agree demand is relative on this one so maybe if you luck into the right place/time you could get a deal on it.  

B0C5E3D7-F462-4E7D-8C7D-0E77794D19A9.jpeg

1C15D575-BB9B-40FB-997B-B34E454E5496.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RetroGE said:

HK Mahjong is notable because the rules are different than standard Mahjong.  And at my age, I’d much rather play it than Stadium Events 😬. A guy I know in Germany has a loose copy I believe he picked up in the last 5 years or so.  I’ve seen maybe 2 other copies online over the years (never for sale) but I’m not actively looking so maybe I’ve missed some.  If I had to take the over under on $3k I’d say over but I agree demand is relative on this one so maybe if you luck into the right place/time you could get a deal on it.  

B0C5E3D7-F462-4E7D-8C7D-0E77794D19A9.jpeg

1C15D575-BB9B-40FB-997B-B34E454E5496.jpeg

Just like SE, the right time will be a few decades from now when everyone who cares is dead, lol. My game collecting strategy is going to be living forever so I can finally cash in on cool rare 80s junk.

I also would guess it's worth more than $3k loose, but at the same time it boggles my mind the price increases we've seen and that Sachen lot continues to not sell. Even multiple Sachen bros I talk to are like "Oh yeah yeah, I'm gonna get that"... yet there it sits unsold with some of the absolute rarest Nintendo games ever made while Day Dreamin Davey has apparently become a 5 figure game. Stuff without shrink wrap is just garbage these days.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2019 at 5:06 PM, tordur said:

Assuming we're not talking about the HKGC versions - I know (believe I remember) one cart sold back in 2009 for around 800 euros. but that info is probably of little use to you.

I heard as a rumor (read in some Facebook thread somewhere) that one sold for 3000 euro some years ago (cart only), but don't know how valid it is. Honestly seems unbelievable.

So the above info is all smoke and mirrors and hearsay - But:

If you're looking to do a NES fullset, consider swapping the Hong Kong Version of Mah Jong with the Famicom Box version. The Famicom Box version is inside a gorgeous black NES cartridge AND it's a 72 pin game. Essentially every bit as much a NES game as the Hong Kong version at a fraction of the price!

If you want it to be more uniform in looks with the other NES carts, go with the Famicom Station variant, which is a gray cart.

 

This is what I did for my "NES Worldwide fullset." However, it doesn't feel the same. HK MahJong is just too out of reach for me.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:02 AM, DefaultGen said:

Just like SE, the right time will be a few decades from now when everyone who cares is dead, lol. My game collecting strategy is going to be living forever so I can finally cash in on cool rare 80s junk.

I also would guess it's worth more than $3k loose, but at the same time it boggles my mind the price increases we've seen and that Sachen lot continues to not sell. Even multiple Sachen bros I talk to are like "Oh yeah yeah, I'm gonna get that"... yet there it sits unsold with some of the absolute rarest Nintendo games ever made while Day Dreamin Davey has apparently become a 5 figure game. Stuff without shrink wrap is just garbage these days.

I mean, look at the lack of movement on Mr. Gimmick vs. Little Samson. Gimmick, imo, is the much better game, but LS has doubled in value, while Gimmick hasn't really seen a massive spike, it's stayed relatively stable. The truth is, the NA fullset (with or without Stadium Events) is a far more attractive target to the general collector than any of the fringe stuff, like Sachen, PAL exclusives, and etc. I mean, Gluk games are still super cheap, despite being incredibly rare.

Edited by DarkKobold
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
52 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

This is what I did for my "NES Worldwide fullset." However, it doesn't feel the same. HK MahJong is just too out of reach for me.

I mean, look at the lack of movement on Mr. Gimmick vs. Little Samson. Gimmick, imo, is the much better game, but LS has doubled in value, while Gimmick hasn't really seen a massive spike, it's stayed relatively stable. The truth is, the NA fullset (with or without Stadium Events) is a far more attractive target to the general collector than any of the fringe stuff, like Sachen, PAL exclusives, and etc. I mean, Gluk games are still super cheap, despite being incredibly rare.

I’ve got an NA full set minus SE and the retrousb Mr. Gimmick, it’s really a fantastic game! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2021 at 1:37 AM, RetroGE said:

HK Mahjong is notable because the rules are different than standard Mahjong.  And at my age, I’d much rather play it than Stadium Events 😬. A guy I know in Germany has a loose copy I believe he picked up in the last 5 years or so.  I’ve seen maybe 2 other copies online over the years (never for sale) but I’m not actively looking so maybe I’ve missed some.  If I had to take the over under on $3k I’d say over but I agree demand is relative on this one so maybe if you luck into the right place/time you could get a deal on it.  

B0C5E3D7-F462-4E7D-8C7D-0E77794D19A9.jpeg

1C15D575-BB9B-40FB-997B-B34E454E5496.jpeg

Very nice! As an owner of a loose cart, what would be your predictions of the monetary value of a loose cart, and what would be your predictions on the monetary of a CIB copy, in this current 2021 market that we are in? Also, how many loose carts total have you seen in your lifetime, and how many CIB or boxed copies total have you seen in your lifetime?

Edited by nick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want a 72-Pin full licensed set you can just get the 35 PAL Exclusives, and the handful of Famicom Box carts that are exclusive which ALSO includes Mah Jong.

...I'd argue you also need NWC Gold though since basically any Nintendo Power reader at the time had a chance to win one. (Just saying)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...