IGNORED

The most replayable game?

GPX

My more traditional answer would be NES Tetris and Guitar Hero 3 (Clone Hero, nowadays). Easy to jump in for a quick game. Another contender is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

My non-traditional answer is Zelda: A Link to the Past. I was obsessed with it as a kid, beat it guideless at 9 years old and kept replaying it. I beat a few friends' copies of it for them as well. When the GBA port came, a friend and I raced to see who could beat it first. It kind of turned into speedrunning before I knew that was a thing, but I never felt competitive about it, I just liked challenging myself. During high school I had a SNES emulator on a flash drive and a USB controller. I'd play it during breaks in the computer lab and would try to see how far I could get in a day.

• Like 1

Tetris Axis 3ds - I play it everyday.

Double Dragon II NES - This was one I rented as a kid and later bought even after my brother and I had beaten it a ton of times.  It was the first game I tried out in my AVS.

Zelda ALTTP SNES - I also played the ever living crap out of this.  To this day I can find every piece of heart.

• Like 1

Technically, you can play any game infinitely. Only score attack games legitimately have infinite purpose to that replay, but it is a singular purpose, and if you are honest with yourself, you recognize that it is repetition, even if it is repetition that you like. For that reason, I chose to not answer with an "easy" one, such as Tetris Grand Master 3. I also didn't jump immediately to competitive multiplayer games, because even if people have played games like Smash Bros Melee, Street Fighter 3, Quake 3 Arena and Starcraft Brood War for around 20 years, they are not much for single-player play in comparison (they may have single-player components, but it's not what keeps people coming back for decades).

For those reasons, I have to pick a game which to me has incredible amounts of things to do, and plenty of reasons to bring you back. For that, I think that TimeSplitters Future Perfect might have the most replayability of any game. The single-player is of good length, the challenge mode will keep you coming back for a long time, and if all that isn't enough, you can play tons of multiplayer modes, including making your own original game modes and maps to play them on. It's the kind of game that a bored teenager dreams of getting for a birthday or christmas present.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 2:17 PM, The Count said:

In no particular order:

Goldeneye - N64

Stardew Valley - PS4

Super Mario Bros. - NES

The New Tetris - N64

World Series Baseball  - Saturn

Jackass - PS2

I keep forgetting how awesome the Jackass game is.   Rupture those testicles!

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 12/2/2019 at 9:22 PM, G-type said:

ZZT

Now THAT is a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember trying to one-up my friends, seeing who could dive the deepest into the complexity of ZZT. There was a game being passed around called Code Red (I think?) which actually had a password feature, in the form of a huge room with complex pushers and whatever else to process the password. Very impressive. I got in the habit of not using stock objects to build walls, because of that one friend who would spam the ZAP code to break every level. So I exclusively used coded objects that would immediately end the game when zapped. Good times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abelardo said:

If you have friends to play with I'd say Super Street Fighter II Turbo (or some other SF2 iteration), always exciting to play and watch even, more so if your skill level is more or less equal, never gets old for me.

Yes, I agree on the watchable part also. SF2 and its many updates (and before SF3), would have to be the games I enjoyed watching just as much as I enjoyed playing. And spending just about the same amount of time doing both!

• Like 1

Thunder Force III and IV (very addictive, I have at least 3 pages filled with scores from 1CC/1LC runs for each)

Sonic 3 (short and sweet, no Sandopolis Zone to be found 😜) 

Blaster Master Zero 2 (plays faster then the first one, the new DLC is even faster)

Kirby Air Ride - City Trial (its just really fun)

Beating the same game multiple times - definitely Pokemon FireRed or leafgreen. I've easily beaten that game 10+ times. 

Now if you're talking about games I can go back and replay tons of times over and over again, call of duty was up there when I played that online in college. Fortnite is also up there, but Yu-Gi-Oh world championship 2011 definitely wins. I've probably done over 200 duels and played it over the course of 6 or 7 years. I can't think of any other game I've ever gone back to as much as that one to pop in and play again for like an hour or so at a time. I haven't restarted it, but I have dueled the same in game people a ton.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:20 PM, Splain said:

Now THAT is a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember trying to one-up my friends, seeing who could dive the deepest into the complexity of ZZT. There was a game being passed around called Code Red (I think?) which actually had a password feature, in the form of a huge room with complex pushers and whatever else to process the password. Very impressive. I got in the habit of not using stock objects to build walls, because of that one friend who would spam the ZAP code to break every level. So I exclusively used coded objects that would immediately end the game when zapped. Good times.

I just played through the Town of ZZT in a single sitting last night.

http://www.chriskallen.com/zzt/ZZTUltra.php

I remember finding it very difficult when I was younger, but  I guess my gaming abilities have improved. Some of the dexterity/twitch parts were still a bit of a challenge, but the puzzles I solved pretty fast.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 9:35 AM, captmorgandrinker said:

Puzzle stuff and racing/sports games.  

You might want to give Nectaris (PS1) a try - ostensibly a military strategy game, the mechanics of the game means that a lot of the scenarios are puzzles as well as strategy ones.

Some of my favorite games for replays are:

Dark Wizard (Sega CD) - Awesome is the only word for this hex grid based SRPG - four different rulers, four races, three alignments for the hired units, 9 basic classes of hired units, tons of summoned monsters - and lots of secrets, hidden weapons, special warriors and various quests.

Nectaris (PS1) - Loaded with scenarios (108 total) it is one of the best bargains on the PS1.  Another hex grid game with some unique mechanics -the only strategy game where line tactics (if applicable) will not work - the AI rips lines into swiss cheese.  It also a neat game in that once you finish the basic scenarios you can go back and play any of all the scenarios - so you can replay and try different strategies.

Brigandine - PS1 - Yet another hex grid game with six countries to play as. Lots of monsters to play with and grow.

The first two advance wars - fun but hampered by the fact you can't go in and replay individual battles in the campaign modes.

The Sokoban style games (Boxxle, Boxy Boy, Shove It!, etc.) Wherein you are a hapless warehouse worker doomed toshove boxes in the most poorly designed rooms known to man...  Good for some fairly witless but diverting gameplay.

23 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

You might want to give Nectaris (PS1) a try - ostensibly a military strategy game, the mechanics of the game means that a lot of the scenarios are puzzles as well as strategy ones.

Not sure if I'd be into that one; Return Fire is about as close to strategy as I get.   I'll check it out though, thanks!

4 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Not sure if I'd be into that one; Return Fire is about as close to strategy as I get.   I'll check it out though, thanks!

The early scenarios are pretty straight forward strategy ones.

The layout of the game is that there are factories where units are staged (the factories  can't produce new units - only repair damaged ones) - yours, the enemies and after the initial stages neutral ones.  Whoever gets to the neutral ones first with infantry gets those units - so a lot of times that is what eventually decides the battle.  The puzzle part comes in that you often have to figure out how to get to some of the neutral bases first.  And sometimes which neutral factories to go for - it (oddly enough) is sometimes not the the strongest appearing forces that are what you need.

Also if you haven't tried any of them you might like the Sokoban style games.