IGNORED

What does everyone collect other than video games?

Astor Reinhardt

Before games, I collected music gear/instruments. But that isn't super practical financially or spatially. I also collect memorabilia of my favorite hockey team, Nashville.

I've been thinking of expanding my horizons to some other collection but nothing has really stuck like games. I almost got into bullion. Maybe stamps? Old electronics? I love perusing antique stores.

Edited by The Strangest

CDs. I like mainly industrial and metal, got a good dose of rock too

Books. Sci-fi, general fiction, biography, technology, antique juvenile

Comic books. Mainly independents. Some Marvel stuff. Some magazines like Mad, Heavy Metal, Asimov’s Science Fiction

CRT TVs. Not looking to get any more right now but I have 15 or 20. 

• Like 1

Video games and gaming merchandise is my big collection, but I also have a fairly serious Pokemon card collection and a (absolutely enormous, and will probably end up downsizing) PEZ dispenser collection. 

I also love the idea of collecting original game cover art and animation cells, but the cost has kept me from starting that up.

Comic books for me! I collect all sorts from Marvel to DC to image and other publishers. But my focus for the last two years has been completing the Marvel big series from the start to current. I am down to less than 20 issues for both Hulk and Captain America, less than 30 on Iron Man and Thor, and less than 60 on FF, Spider-Man, X-Men and Avengers. The issues I need are the expensive ones, so I've slowed down quite a bit, but I am hoping to finish off Cap and Thor this year.

22 hours ago, MuNKeY said:

I suppose Gundam model kits, Terry Pratchett hardback novels, Garbage Pail Kids cards, and apparently cats...

GPK! I recently bought a pretty big box of classic GPK cards at a yard sale. I still haven't gone through them. I'm more into collecting them because they're neat and gross then for any value. So idk if there are "rare" ones. Just a casual collector! I bought some Terry Pratchett paperbacks after finally getting tired of my partner going on and on about them and how good they are. They're next on my list to read after I finish off Terry Brook's series that I'm reading currently.

21 hours ago, Bear85 said:

Vinyl Records- Mostly punk and late 60s Ska/Reggae

Elongated penny’s since I was a kid

Elongated penny's? You mean the ones you put in one of those hand crank machines and it squishes the penny with a design on it? I collect those!

20 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I collect way too much.

Video Games of course
TMNT toys and memorabilia
Comics (mostly TMNT but some others)
Movies (mostly blu-ray but some DVD and VHS stuff)
Board Games
Other collectible toys (mostly 80's 90's stuff)
Records (punk rock bands mostly)

I really need to stop. haha

Please, did you see my list? I collect a lot more then you, trust me you don't collect that much. And yes I'm being 100% serious. If you saw all of my collections, you'd agree...but most of my stuff is in boxes/bins because I ran out of space...soooo yeah. I collect board games too, but I put that in the 1980s and 1990s stuff that I collect. Got any favorite board games? I don't play them, I collect them...no one to play with.

17 hours ago, bubbapauls said:

Nintendo / PlayStation - Right now I'm concentrating on Super Nintendo and PlayStation 1.

Coins more specifically US Cents large and small.  Mostly done and just upgrade every now and then.

80s 90s Toys - GI Joes, TMNT, Titan Wrestlers

Tin Cans - Vintage Advertising

Vintage Hot Wheels - Red lines and Black walls mostly

My biggest collection is video games but I've been collecting US Coins for a long time.

Tin cans? I also like collecting old food packaging when I can. I've only managed to get a cake flour box with it's top ripped off from the 1950s, some old Jell-O packages from the 1950s and up (dates are a little hard to find on them), and some soda cans from the...80s? I also collect newer limited edition food packages just for entertainment sake.

15 hours ago, behemos said:

Books. 

As I've been sitting on 600+ NES games for like 3 years now, and deals are harder to find, my game buying has slowed. 

So I've really built up my book collection in that time. 

Oh yeah books. I didn't bother mentioning them. I probably have enough books to open up a small library.

15 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Cereal apparently.   Let me know if you got a box of Nintendo Cereal Sytem or C3POs!

Cereal! I collect cereal boxes too. And food packaging in general (limited edition stuff mainly). I don't have any old cereal boxes but I really would like to get some of the ones from the 1980s and 1990s that are distinctive...like the Nintendo Cereal System.

14 hours ago, Punkr13 said:

Let’s see.......

definitely comics old and current ( different publishers ). Sometimes it’s just a certain artist I collect too ( variant covers )

i do have a vinyl collection too that has oldies/Classic rock / punk / ska /80s and others 

also laserdisc anime movies 

toys > 80s, robots/mechs , Lego 

artwork > pinups

some coins too

I’m all over the place

LaserDisc woo! I'm just starting out. I found a working player at my local thrift store a few months ago and have been wanting to get a collection going since. I lucked out and found someone selling a box 36 for $15. Nothing amazing mind you, just a start. The best thing was probably the original Scarface movie (not the 1980s one). What I really want to do is collect movies that never had a VHS/DVD/Blu Ray release or movies that have some sort of exclusiveness to LaserDisc (like a better version like the Star Wars movies). But it's hard to find info on that sort of thing...if you know of any lists that are out there, please let me know!

14 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

I have a pretty hefty ghostbusters collection. 

i also collect transformers figures.

Love me some Ghostbusters! Got any pics?

12 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

My girlfriend and I are starting to accumulated a decent amount of manga.  We also get a bluray or two each anime season.  Figures have crept in and now we have a decent start to that collection. 

I've recently settled on anime/video game coffee mugs.

Also, I like to get VGM records as I come accross them. I admit it's been a while for that.

What kind of manga/anime are you two into?

11 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Cubs memorabilia, movies, anime, and Toys R Us stuff.

What kind of anime are you into? Toys R Us stuff meaning...what? I have a Geoffrey plush and a doll wearing a "I'm a Toys R Us kid" shirt...I was unable to find any info out on this doll. idk if she's a random doll someone put the shirt on or if it's an official doll. The shirt is a doll size and fits the doll well but past that idk.

11 hours ago, the tall guy said:

Antique Christmas lights.

YES! I love these. I'm more into Shiny Brite ornaments myself but I wouldn't say no if I found a box of these! Probably wouldn't use them since I'd be worried about fire hazards but I could still display the boxes! I just recently got an aluminum Christmas tree! Finally...after several years of trying to find one. It still has the original box and paper tubes for the branches. I bought it off of eBay from a local seller so the plus to that is the tree was from Seattle originally and will stay here in WA with me. It's just...really cool. I love finding vintage stuff from WA. It just let's me sort of...fantasize what life was like back then (I mean ignoring the obvious racist/sexist stuff that went on back then).

9 hours ago, B.A. said:

Unopened boxes of 80s wax packs non sports cards. They made cards of all sorts of goofy stuff.

Nice. I also collect 80s wax pack cards. I haven't gotten a whole box yet but I want to some day. I saw your picture of your GPK collection...very nice!

8 hours ago, Link said:

CDs. I like mainly industrial and metal, got a good dose of rock too

Books. Sci-fi, general fiction, biography, technology, antique juvenile

Comic books. Mainly independents. Some Marvel stuff. Some magazines like Mad, Heavy Metal, Asimov’s Science Fiction

CRT TVs. Not looking to get any more right now but I have 15 or 20. 

Any sci-fi series you'd recommend? I'm really into apocalyptic/dystopian sci-fi. The longer the series the better IMO. Also wow...you have a LOT of CRTs...any reason why?

8 hours ago, rorsch said:

Besides video games, I collect CCG cards, Nendoroids, and Japanese vintage anime/movie posters. Example of a nendoroid is attached 😄

Nendoroids! I love these. I only have one so far but I plan on getting more. They're just so darn cute! I have some Sailor Moon posters probably from the 90s but that's about it.

9 hours ago, B.A. said:

DSCN1545.thumb.JPG.62c0b954a8f686a25ee213e17ac49763.JPGDSCN1586.thumb.JPG.bbf46b87d8827a6a1ff05e3add03c057.JPG

That's awesome.  I collect GPK too but I started collecting in my adulthood a little too early for my own good when these were really cheap.  They were cheap enough at the time that I was buying them so I could  relive my childhood memories of opening packs.   So I actually bought unopened boxes from each series and cracked those bad boys open.  I still have the cards, I put them into binders and made sets.  But I would have been better off just putting them away in hindsight.  Especially series 1.    I also had an uncut sheet and pinned it up on my wall and honestly, that kind of makes me sick today.  It was a ton of fun so no major regrets.  The condition on your boxes  looks really nice and the set is killer, congrats. 

51 minutes ago, Astor Reinhardt said:

What kind of manga/anime are you two into?

We watch a lot of slice of life/comedy stuff together. Yuru Camp, New Game!!, Fruits Basket are some recent watches.  We did some more action oriented as well.  My Hero Academia, Darling in the Franxx, etc.

She watches almost anything it seems but I tend to keep it light.

Been keeping an eye out for Nenderoids, Mugs, Figures as they come up.  Those figures are expensive so it's nice to grab something a bit cheaper.  Sometimes it crosses over to games nicely.  We got the Pyra/Mythra figures from Xenoblade and they are awesome.

Edited by zeppelin03

22 minutes ago, bubbapauls said:

@Astor Reinhardt

I linked my instagram in my profile that has some pictures of some of my tins.  It will give you a better idea of what I’m into.

I attached one of my favorites.

Ah ok I get it now. My mom collects those spice tins and stuff like it as well so yeah I get it. Some of them are pretty neat.

Fossils including dinosaur eggs, Van's slip-on shoes (I have near 90 so far but difference is I actually wear all of them), Music CDs (rock and heavy metal), model cars.

Game related I collect Zelda merch from statues, to stuffed toys and figures. I collect displays, standees, posters. I currently have I believe 21 Nintendo related standees, but of course they are mostly in storage since I have no space to display them. 😢 One day though.

I also collect A LOT of gears/equipment/mods related to my Jeep Wrangler. I'm like working on it weekly upgrading something and changing it up.

Edited by Skorp

7 hours ago, Astor Reinhardt said:

Any sci-fi series you'd recommend? I'm really into apocalyptic/dystopian sci-fi. The longer the series the better IMO. Also wow...you have a LOT of CRTs...any reason why?

I’m not much into series, myself. I like to read a complete story and move on, rather than a story that goes on forever. Kind of the opposite of you, lol. This is why I stopped reading mainstream superhero comics. Have you heard of Philip K. Dick? I would recommend if you like that kind of world-building. He was prolific, wrote a lot of books and has a distinctive style. 

I got into collecting old TVs some time ago... one of those things you get into accidentally at first. Now, I keep them in rows on a big shelf. Jacked to the same signal. Good for parties. Watching music videos.

Edited by Link
accidentally quoting extra quotes, and rich text went crazy

-Comic books

-Funko's

-Movies (not necessarily steelbook but I continue to physically collect)

-starting to collect helmets. Have Darth Vader, storm trooper, optimus prime, and black panther's currently and really want the green power ranger helmet. Bobba fett one coming out soon!!

I also have some cards but wasn't actively collecting them for years but am just starting to get back into them now, going back into Hockey and diving into MTG.