IGNORED

Is the N64 library worth playing today?

Strange

Yeah, NBA Hangtime is arcade perfect and one of the first N64 games I owned. Used to piss me off as a kid when magazines would give it mediocre reviews for not using the 3D power of the N64....it was literally an arcade perfect port. Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey was also basically arcade perfect and one that holds heavy nostalgia for me as a game we received for Xmas '96 at my house

Also not sure how many of you guys own the Japanese exclusive Rumble Pak 'Shindou' version of Wave Race 64 (or Mario) but I think Wave Race is extremely excellent and holds up great. Using a Rumble Pak is a really enjoyable experience on a game I was so accustomed to not having the feature growing up, and the game has a few new music tracks in it that weren't in the original release as well, plus the cool Orange/Grape Fanta ads that got taken out of the USA release.

sc88loje91i31.jpg

Edited by trj22487
  • Like 2

The most underrated element of the N64, in my opinion, is the aesthetic slickness of its hardware and packaging. The "look" of the consoles, controllers, and boxes scream late 90s, which was culturally a time of optimism and excitement for the future. I'm not a huge fan of the console itself, but I like to keep a few controllers and a boxed console on display so I can be reminded of that fun era. That's something that, if you value it, you can't get from emulation. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 3:02 PM, trj22487 said:

Yeah, NBA Hangtime is arcade perfect and one of the first N64 games I owned. Used to piss me off as a kid when magazines would give it mediocre reviews for not using the 3D power of the N64....it was literally an arcade perfect port. Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey was also basically arcade perfect and one that holds heavy nostalgia for me as a game we received for Xmas '96 at my house

Also not sure how many of you guys own the Japanese exclusive Rumble Pak 'Shindou' version of Wave Race 64 (or Mario) but I think Wave Race is extremely excellent and holds up great. Using a Rumble Pak is a really enjoyable experience on a game I was so accustomed to not having the feature growing up, and the game has a few new music tracks in it that weren't in the original release as well, plus the cool Orange/Grape Fanta ads that got taken out of the USA release.

sc88loje91i31.jpg

I was wondering how we got to page 3 without anyone mentioning wave race yet.

14 hours ago, peg said:

Underrated, really?  The game box art, look of the console and controller, removal of cart end labels, and pretty much every single aesthetic of the N64 hardware and packaging was a huge step back from the SNES.

N64 beside a SNES looks like a Ferrari beside an Oldsmobile.

• Haha 1

Here are some others that I haven't seen in this thread yet that I think are solid titles:

Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
Battlezone: Rise of the Black Dogs
Body Harvest
Buck Bumble
Disney's Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers
Duck Dodgers Starring Daffy Duck
Fighting Force 64
Flying Dragon
Goemon's Great Adventure
Hybrid Heaven
Iggy's Reckin' Balls
Micro Machines 64 Turbo
Rayman 2
Robotron 64
Shadowgate 64
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
Starshot: Space Circus Fever

So I took the plunge on an unknown (to me) yesterday. I bought Lode Runner 3D. A well established franchise’s attempt to “modernize” itself into the 3D space. It’s ugly as sin but the core gameplay is there and the puzzles do become challenging. I had a good time with it. I got it for $20 CIB and I feel like for that price I could have done a lot worse on the N64.

I guess I’m 1-0 so far.

Want another ugly as sin one that is based on an old game but is highly addictive and fun?  Robotron 64.  I used to love that game, far nicer than the ps1 Robotron X, and I find I enjoy playing the 64 game more than the old arcade title too due to changes as it makes it more fun.

I like that excel sheet list of games, not all of it, but there are some solid choices in there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Want another ugly as sin one that is based on an old game but is highly addictive and fun?  Robotron 64.  I used to love that game, far nicer than the ps1 Robotron X, and I find I enjoy playing the 64 game more than the old arcade title too due to changes as it makes it more fun.

I like that excel sheet list of games, not all of it, but there are some solid choices in there.

I really enjoy Robotron X on the PS1, so if you say the N64 version is better then I’ll have to track one down. Thanks!