IGNORED

Is the N64 library worth playing today?

Strange

I don't think so.

The N64 is one console I was super hyped for. It's the first console I bought with my own money and it's probably the one I played the most with the possible exception of the SNES.

And, save a few exceptions, I cba playing any of it ever again. I find myself actively avoiding it and its games, even the remakes. The only titles still worth some of my time today are Mario Kart 64, my favorite in the series and maybe 20 minutes of Wave Race 64.

The PSX is king almighty in the "Next Gen" era and the Saturn has that arcade/japanese flare that I like and they are both a much better investment of my gaming time.

I honestly can't believe all of the hate in hear for this console!  I'm not arguing but the N64 was a stellar system.  No, it's library isn't close in size to the PSX and, yes, I'd even accept that many people think it's a better system (and maybe I could make that argument) but it's not a "this console" vs. "that console" argument.  I love PS1 games, Saturn games, SNES games, OG Game Boy games and I love N64 titles.

I think there are many of them that hold up quite well and the games that don't are like many of the games for those other systems that haven't aged well, either.  It's just that the N64 collection size isn't as big, so the lot shrinks when you look at the really good ones.  But, that doesn't mean it's not worth playing.

The only real, legit issues I could see people having is with the unfortunate controllers. I mean, I love the controller and I like that it's different.  It has never felt awkward to me either, but maybe that's because the N64 was the first home/TV console I had since the NES, so I got use to it before I used a PS1 controller.  Regardless, we're all aware of how the internal mechanisms wore out because they were plastic but with options like the brawler for a cheaper play, of the hori controllers for those willing to drop a few extra bucks, I still think the N64 is a great system.

Edited by RH
  • Like 4

Just now, BortLicensePlate said:

No love for sin and punishment @OptOut

I have got that yeah, and it's very good! But I haven't got round to giving it a proper playthrough yet, and generally I'd rather talk about games that I have some serious experience with and knowledge of. I'll probably play through it fully next year maybe. 

In fact for as many N64 games as I have played and loved, I still have a HUGE list of games to get round to... My epic N64 journey has not even come close to its conclusion, and that genuinely excites me!!! 😆

For me, I don't particularly care for any of the early 3D games or consoles. PlayStation and Saturn have some 2D games I like, but the N64's library (and the 3D libraries of the other two) are not something that I have a burning desire to play anymore.

Edited by Tulpa

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Harvest Moon 64 yet.  I understand that Stardew Valley is probably ''technically'' the better game, but HM64 has a certain difficulty and charm to it that makes me prefer to play that instead.  I am not a huge fan of the N64, to be honest, but I don't think it is a bad console.  The library is just a bit too small compared to the SNES and Gamecube.  I feel like you would hear of a new SNES gem that nobody ever talks about before you'd hear of a random obscure N64 hidden gem.

if you have nostalgia for it........absolutely yes. if you still enjoy the games then for sure have fun!

if you have three friends on your couch and four controllers.........maybe. there's quite a few fun games for it but they're definitely not everyone's cup of cola. 

if you're 19 and just getting into the "retro video games" scene...............no. i doubt you'll find the same appreciation for the comparatively shitty graphics and camera/control issues.

i still love the concept of the n64 but i bust it out less and less as the years go by. 

On 11/27/2019 at 9:04 PM, BortLicensePlate said:

No love for sin and punishment @OptOut

As much as I lamented the “shallow library” in my OP, Sin and Punishment is actually a game I really want to play and have no nostalgia for. I’ve read it’s as simple as swapping the back of the cartridge to get it to fit in a US system, is that right?

46 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

As much as I lamented the “shallow library” in my OP, Sin and Punishment is actually a game I really want to play and have no nostalgia for. I’ve read it’s as simple as swapping the back of the cartridge to get it to fit in a US system, is that right?

That is correct yes. And If you want to get into more Japanese releases, it might be more efficient in the long-run to actually mod the system rather than the carts. All you have to do is open the system up and modify the plastic tray in the cart slot, it's not too onerous. 

Edit: Forgot to mention you need one of the gamebit screwdrivers to open the N64 cart too, if you wanna swap the backs!

Edited by OptOut

5 hours ago, The Strangest said:

4 hours ago, OptOut said:

That is correct yes. And If you want to get into more Japanese releases, it might be more efficient in the long-run to actually mod the system rather than the carts. All you have to do is open the system up and modify the plastic tray in the cart slot, it's not too onerous. 

Edit: Forgot to mention you need one of the gamebit screwdrivers to open the N64 cart too, if you wanna swap the backs!

You could also use a game shark or something as a pass through, if you dont want to modify the system. The plastic is a lot sturdier than the SNES and it's a bit of a pain to cut out

There's definitely a few games that are worth picking up and playing and they're pretty cheap too. 

Mission Impossible I just shit on a bit but it is still worth going through. It definitely offers things that 007 doesn't and does have a few neat levels to mix up gameplay. I was a little disappointed recently as I loved it as a kid and it didn't quite hold up to memory. 

Doom 64 is great. Probably have to bump your brightness but has a killer atmosphere. 

I was surprised at how well Winback played after not playing it for years. Good 3rd person shooter that almost feels like a light gun game. Definitely an overlooked game for most people. 

Although KI Gold doesn't hold up to KI2 it's still a pretty fun fighting game and MK Trilogy is similar. Great classic MK game. 

Definitely some other fun ones out there. Chameleon Twist 1 and 2 are a little rough around the edges but fun platformers. Mischief Makers is pretty fun too. 

It's also easier to play 64 if you avoid HD games for a while and acclimatize yourself. Some other fun games listed in this thread that are outside the typical 1st party stuff. 

• Like 1

I've got the everdrive for the thing now, just readying the files needed for the SD card for the moment I can load it.  N64 I've had all these years since it came out, and it may have got slammed by the media and minimized under what PS1 pulled, but face it, with a 300 game (US) library, while over a 1/3 of it is just mindless sports stuff including racers and wrestling, there are quite a few solid good experiences if not excellent for the system.  So yes, it is very worth it, but you have to temper your own expectations on your genres of choice.  If you were hoping to get a lot of 2D games, move along, same if you want some big setup of RPGs too as that isn't happening either.

If you're after some solid period arcade conversions, platformers, 3d adventures, kooky unique stuff, some flight games, future racing stuff, wacky weird like Goemon, and some later in life solid PS1/PC style conversions you should be fairly happy.  The hardware did well for itself and had some good franchise and non-franchise unique titles which I've seen people already list.  The system has some decent semi-hidden gems I guess you'd call them if youtube didn't have such a huge mouth for people wanting attention.  Also if you peel back the US library and look overseas in either direction you can find some awesome stuff, some like Wonder Project J or Evangelion may need a translation, but stuff like Bangaioh and Sin & Punishment most definitely do not.  Some genres are horribly under represented, yet when you have stuff like Star Soldier, Dezaemon, and Rakuga Kids, Tetris 64, and a decent list that goes on there's much to view.  Dig a bit, ignore the manufactured hatred, and you'll get surprised.

• Like 1

It depends on the game, but first person shooters are one genre that seems to get a lot of mixed feelings. I'm in no rush to play Quake or Turok on the N64. I'd rather play it on PC. But I would say Goldeneye and Perfect Dark still hold up. The Perfect Dark remake is better all around, but the original N64 version is still completely playable. Just don't try 4-player on a big map with explosions or you'll get down to like 5 fps. 

1 hour ago, Alder said:

It depends on the game, but first person shooters are one genre that seems to get a lot of mixed feelings. I'm in no rush to play Quake or Turok on the N64. I'd rather play it on PC. But I would say Goldeneye and Perfect Dark still hold up. The Perfect Dark remake is better all around, but the original N64 version is still completely playable. Just don't try 4-player on a big map with explosions or you'll get down to like 5 fps. 

I replayed Quake on N64 this year and had an absolute blast! The frantic combat, highly aggressive enemies and the simple level designs make game a real adrenaline pumping experience. I'd say it's either the 3rd or 4th best FPS on the system, certainly it offers a very different experience to either Goldeneye or Perfect Dark.

However, this is definitely a game that benefits greatly from the UltraHDMI mod, so you can get crystal clear graphics and pump up the gamma boost so you can see what you're doing. This is also actually very much true for Doom 64 which looks spectacular in HD.

As an aside, I personally really like using the C buttons for movement and the stick for aiming in N64 FPS games, feels really natural to me. If you can't get on with this control style, then you probably won't enjoy these games as much as I do.

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 2

Good point about the controls. Some of those games are rough to play with the default control layouts. I think they do that because they may be the most user friendly but if you can use to some of the other setups they're superior in my opinion. 

It absolutely blows my mind that some of these games offer more customization than current console games which limit you to pre-selected layouts. 

• Like 1

I was never a huge fan of the N64 even back in the day.  It was super exiting... and I stood in the local Toys R Us and played Super Mario 64 for hours (surprised they never asked me to leave).  And when my brother-in-law got one, I was over at their house playing it all the time and eventually beat it with 120 stars.  But after that, I never really found another game on the system that grabbed me.  I liked the Snow Speeder stage of Shadows of the Empire...  I remember having a bit of fun with Mario Kart 64...  but most of the games I played were just okay.  I have an N64 in my collection.  But haven't played it in years... and to this day the only game I have for it is Mario 64.

I think that even if there's a small library and it could all fit on a classic system that it absolutely is worth playing today.

The n64 / Mario 64 at launch was for many people at the time a revelation of what 3d games could be. 

If anyone is serious about games they have an n64 story of multiplayer or a certain game that they love.

Just because there's bigger and better now doesn't take away from the impact the 64 made in it's lifetime.

Edited by drxandy