IGNORED

July Movie: Death Race 2000

July Movie Pick  

8 members have voted

1. 1. July Movie Pick

• Riki-Oh (The Story of Ricky) - (1991)
    • Burial Ground: The Nights Of Terror (1981)
    • Hell's Highway (2002)
    • Death Race 2000 (1975)

This poll is closed to new votes

Editorials Team · Posted
41 minutes ago, PII said:

Just curious, why does it have Kaufman's name on it?

I thought he just did distribution, but it looks like he produced the full length version.  Nonetheless, this has a VERY different feel from typical Troma productions, so I'm guessing he just provided the money.

• Like 1

Here's "Burial Ground: The Nights Of Terror" again.  Would be great to hear everyone weigh in on the creepy weirdness of Peter Bark in this one + we could all get our really big headphones on and like totally mellow out to the spacey electronic score...

I'm not making it an official nomination at this point since I haven't been able to find it online for free, but "Shanks" 1974 is a really unique film that stars Marcel Marceau in a dual role and is, IIRC the only major film he was ever in.  It's also the last film directed by William Castle.  It has a strong vibe of having most likely been the primary inspiration for "Edward Scissor Hands."  I just wanted to mention it in case there is someone else more savvy than myself when it comes to finding these things online (I'm not very savvy at that.)

Edited by PII

Events Team · Posted

I'll nominate Death Race 2000.  David Carradine is Frankenstein! 

Kind of a violent precursor to all the Cannonball Run movies.  I'd also highly recommend Cannonball!  Also with David Carradine.

It's available on Freevee.  (A handful of commercials.  It's not that bad.) And Connonball is on Prime if anyone cares to give that one a go.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tabonga said:

This is quirky ultra low budget job - made with a couple of piggy bank hordes and a collection of aluminum cans.  Watchable despite the really cheesy effects - a surprising amount of black humor though.

Is that Ron Jeremy? 

20 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Death Race 2000

@G-type  vote: JamesRobot

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
21 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I'll nominate Death Race 2000.  David Carradine is Frankenstein! 

Kind of a violent precursor to all the Cannonball Run movies.  I'd also highly recommend Cannonball!  Also with David Carradine.

It's available on Freevee.  (A handful of commercials.  It's not that bad.) And Connonball is on Prime if anyone cares to give that one a go.

Sweet, I was very close to doing this myself the last couple months

• The topic was pinned

Links to all the nominees:

A cartoonishly hyper-violent adaptation of a manga, set in a prison. Ridiculous and fun!
 An archaeology professor discovers an ancient crypt which contains living dead corpses.
A shoestring budget gorefest about a sexy homicidal hitchhiker
In the distant year 2000, a dystopian cross country automobile race requires contestants to run down innocent pedestrians for points.

5 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Didn't know where to post it so I'll just add it here. @G-type what do you think about making a master thread that has all the previous months selections, who selected it and a link to the free version to view it? Or would that get a bit too much work?

Sure I can make a master list.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to July Movie nominations
Editorials Team · Posted

I got impatient (like usual) and re watched DR2000 last night.

With a lot of the Corman car chase or "futurey" movies, I get bored pretty quickly.  The quasi-follow-up "Deathsport" is a perfect example.  Completely incoherent.

But this movie is endlessly entertaining from start to finish.  Probably because Paul Bartel was in charge, and he's a stud.

• Like 2

I watched Hell's Highway the other night.

Here're a few observations:

Spoiler

It's pretty ridickulous but that's the appeal.  I didn't care for the ending initially, but after some time has passed I think it was ok.  I was hoping that Sarah would become the new experiment and we'd see various versions of her seducing and destroying people as the new owner of the highway.  I couldn't help noticing that Phoebe Dollar's (Lucinda) voice sounds eerily similar to Sherilyn Fenn's voice (think Audrey Horne) and the laugh is identical.  Meanwhile Hank Horner (Eric, the guy with the video camera is remarkably similar to Rainn Wilson (Bill Hudley) the guy with the video camera in "House Of A Thousand Corpses", which actually came out a year later than this movie so I suppose it's actually the other way around.  "House Of 1000 Corpses" if you haven't seen it was basically a reimagining of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and so is "Hell's Highway."  Also noticed that after Chris's arm is cut off and Eric is trying to drag him to the car his arm is briefly back on at 51:31.  Additionally, I enjoyed that when the seance kids were running away from their campfire in terror, one of them had the sense to pick up the video camera and carefully point it at herself as she ran terrified through the night.  It's a pretty good idea for a movie and I liked that nearly the whole thing takes place in a car or on the roadside; a good minimal idea for inexpensive movie making.  Almost forgot, you also get your first, mandated treatment of titties before even reaching the 10-minute mark in this movie.  It's as if the gratuitous insertion of tits in these kinds of movies had already been going on for so long as of 2002, they just figured they had better go ahead and get 'em in there before the potential one day TV viewer has a chance to lose their patience and change the channel.  Plenty of room for improvement but it was entertaining throughout..

Edited by PII

• The title was changed to July Movie: Death Race 2000