IGNORED

Has the internet crumbled under ads yet or can we still add more?

Advertising is not for me. It wastes my time, wastes my money, and feels cheap and tacky AF. I go further than most to avoid it, uBlock, Pihole, Linux, disconnecting everything from the internet, etc. but still capitalism finds a way

• My TV complains that it's not connected to the internet with a blinking light, but if I connect it, it will show me ads literally every time I turn it on.
  • I rented a modern Toyota that showed an ad for the navigation package subscription every time you started the car. It stays on the screen the entire time you're driving unless you change it. Your car! Your own $20k+ car!
  • We're living through a search engine apocalypse where most search results are AI generated referral link farms.
  • The sites that do "actual independent testing" like Wirecutter, Gearlab, or RTings only review products that have generate sufficient referral commissions so that boutique company that actually makes the highest quality widget never makes it onto those sites.
  • Do a search on Amazon, Etsy, or Ebay and count the sponsored results. Etsy is particularly insane, over 1/3 ads on mobile. You might pay Amazon $150/year and they still show you sponsored results and give you ads in their video service.
  • Need to do something really simple on your phone like resize or blur an image? All the top app store results will either show you ads every 3 images or have monthly subscriptions. To resize f'in images.
  • I can't make this up, my parents' wifi oven app gives them ads for like refrigerators and shit. I cannot believe that exists. If you tell boomers there is an app for something they will install it.
  • Social media *gestures vaguely*
  • Boot up an Xbox, lol.

Anyway, technology makes me more depressed than ever. I'm gonna go watch 90s commercials and play Yo Noid to escape the ads.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3
  • Agree 1

• Right click
  • Inspect element
  • Delete element

For anything that refuses to go away when I click around it.

I called Amazon a few years ago to troubleshoot why an option was missing and they told me the button I needed to click on, except the button wasn't there. Through a very long and confusing conversation, we did a screen share and it turns out the button was behind some balloon explaining a feature they implemented about 5 years prior. Their own website advertising caused customer service issues.

The latest software update to my Amazon FireCube shows advertisements if I turn it on and don't interact with it within 5 seconds. It is the sole reason I am looking at other options to replace it but I'm wondering if Google TV is going to be any better.

• Like 1

Yeah. All true.

Seeing ads on Amazon Prime almost melted my brain with anger. But then I paid the $3 for the no ad option. Fuck. 🤷‍♂️

As someone who works primarily in sales/advertising, I also hate "big corporate" advertising. You should have been in some of my final year commerce/marketing programs at University...

"Here's $5M for a (sugary/junk food) children's cereal ad campaign, how would you spend it?" 🙈 That was an interesting conversation in a 16 person class. 😅

I feel as though there's still a need for advertising with small businesses, but there needs to be better regulation at a higher level, for sure.

YouTube ads playing during videos makes me angry and I blackout for like 30s, whatever the fuck the break is.

Haha.... Well, for me, watching ads is kind of like studying. When I'm watching something on YouTube I don't want to think about work/studying.

I will do everything in my power to not watch TV live. Sports, nothing. I'm skipping ALL the commercials.

But yeah... it's insane how inundated we are.

3 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Seeing ads on Amazon Prime almost melted my brain with anger. But then I paid the $3 for the no ad option. Fuck. 🤷‍♂️

YouTube ads playing during videos makes me angry and I blackout for like 30s, whatever the fuck the break is.

I refused to watch Amazon Prime when the advertisements came in. I completely switched all of my Prime shows to Kodi which I already had installed anyway. People are only going to accept something for so long out of convenience. The less convenient, the more likely I am to find alternatives.

For YouTube I have no problem paying for a subscription because probably more than 50% of my entertainment is from YouTube. I watch it for a few hours every night, catching up on videos from my subscriptions. I need to see what Doug DeMuro is reviewing, what Mat Armstrong bought this week, what Tavarish is doing to avoid his P1 and what Markes Brownlee is complaining about.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I refused to watch Amazon Prime when the advertisements came in. I completely switched all of my Prime shows to Kodi which I already had installed anyway. People are only going to accept something for so long out of convenience. The less convenient, the more likely I am to find alternatives.

For YouTube I have no problem paying for a subscription because probably more than 50% of my entertainment is from YouTube. I watch it for a few hours every night, catching up on videos from my subscriptions. I need to see what Doug DeMuro is reviewing, what Mat Armstrong bought this week, what Tavarish is doing to avoid his P1 and what Markes Brownlee is complaining about.

Okay... so... out of pure curiosty I checked out this Doug DeMuro guy. Canadian car guy. Okay, neat.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS.... I REALIZED YOU CAN SKIP ALL THE ADS!!!!!

THANK GAWD.

I mean.... I always just wait for the time thing to run down until it says "skip" but turns out you can just literally hit the skip forward button right away.

God damn. @DefaultGen DO IT DO IT!

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Okay... so... out of pure curiosty I checked out this Doug DeMuro guy. Canadian car guy. Okay, neat.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS.... I REALIZED YOU CAN SKIP ALL THE ADS!!!!!

THANK GAWD.

I mean.... I always just wait for the time thing to run down until it says "skip" but turns out you can just literally hit the skip forward button right away.

God damn. @DefaultGen DO IT DO IT!

1. He's not Canadian, he lives in California.
  2. You can't click SKIP before the 5 seconds counts down, I just tried it.
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I don't see ads at all on YouTube, it's so nice. 

I use unlock Origin on my PC but I still get them on mobile.

If I’m going to watch a streaming service with ads, it’s got to be a free service like Pluto.  I guess I accept that because I was conditioned as a kid to always appreciate the 2 minute break to get a snack or to go pee.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

I use unlock Origin on my PC but I still get them on mobile.

If I’m going to watch a streaming service with ads, it’s got to be a free service like Pluto.  I guess I accept that because I was conditioned as a kid to always appreciate the 2 minute break to get a snack or to go pee.

Do you use the YouTube app on mobile? I use Edge (the browser) and don't get ads on mobile. 

Administrator · Posted
8 hours ago, RH said:

Yeah, the app, Chrome does it too, but I could try Edge.

Chrome is Google, Google owns YouTube, they want ad revenue. They've been shown to give preferential treatment and I have no doubt that even if it has built-in ad block like Edge does, they'd turn it off for YouTube on Chrome. 

• Sad 1

On 6/28/2024 at 8:08 PM, Code Monkey said:
  2. You can't click SKIP before the 5 seconds counts down, I just tried it.

This is true.

My bad. 🤣

I was actually just skipping through the videos. 🤣🤣

Hmmmmm, interesting. I use Firefox on desktop and last time I had ABP turned on YouTube got all pissy with me...

• 2 weeks later...

I use Chrome on my PC to watch Youtube with an adblocker.  But it has gotten funky lately with some ads slipping through.

If an ad does start playing, I reload the page and it's gone.  I'll try out other browsers in the future.

Edited by CT
  • Like 1

We are so toast.  We live in an advertising hellscape and I fail to see how it is sustainable as a society.  When did my TV start showing me ads as soon as I turn it on?  When they bought the names to all our favorite stadiums it was irritating but ultimately 🤷‍♂️.   Now, every single surface is plastered with advertisements including the players.  Shit’s fucked up.

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

Now, every single surface is plastered with advertisements including the players.  Shit’s fucked up.

I was gonna say something about how I actually kinda like the Times Square / downtown Tokyo aesthetic, but then I remembered I'm a big fan of cyberpunk as a genre.

Youtube is out of control. I'll try some of this stuff people have mentioned for my phone (which is currently lost). I feel blessed I have not encountered most of this other shit with cars and appliances and 🖕 Amazon.

On 6/28/2024 at 5:21 PM, DefaultGen said:
  • Need to do something really simple on your phone like resize or blur an image? All the top app store results will either show you ads every 3 images or have monthly subscriptions. To resize f'in images.

Way off-topic/tangential here, but you can resize images on iOS with a simple script. (and here is a 10 minute video for people who inexplicably prefer that to reading a short list of instructions)

On 6/28/2024 at 5:21 PM, DefaultGen said:

Anyway, technology makes me more depressed than ever. I'm gonna go watch 90s commercials and play Yo Noid to escape the ads.

Underrated closing line. 

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

When they bought the names to all our favorite stadiums it was irritating but ultimately 🤷‍♂️.   

Guaranteed Rate Field

Crypto.com Arena

Smoothie King Center

Scotiabank Saddledome

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Guaranteed Rate Field

Crypto.com Arena

Smoothie King Center

Scotiabank Saddledome

The amount of bullshit we’ve incrementally come to accept is astounding. Marketing permeates every facet of American life.  And we are constantly given full-throated defenses of why each incremental piece is fine.  Clearly it’s not fine.  It was never fine.   Nothing is fine about any of this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1