IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tetris

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IT IS TIME!
IT IS TIME FOR TETRIS!!!

This year, we will follow the rules for Classic Tetris World Championship since the skill of our players is so high!
With no further ado, here's the RULES:

• Play on type A
  • Start at any level of your preference, up to level 9
  • Play till game over or till you reach 999,999 points.
  • Highest score wins
  • In case two or more players reach 999,999 points, the one that reached it on the lowest level will win
  • Genre: Puzzle

The contest ends Sunday, 07/07/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

“Boom Tetris For Jeff”, Tang, Chris, 2016.

24 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Tetris should bring some people out. Maybe I can get a score up.

I expected Bea to make us start at 19 this time around, so at least we're not doing that.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:
1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Where the heck has @docile tapeworm been at. We need to bring back skinny he had time for games

This is just the right game to lure him back.

Docile what?  I don't think anybody even remembers that guy anymore.  Didn't he have some sort of grudge against South America or something?

• Haha 1

But wouldn't "any level" make more sense then? A forced Level 1 start is kind of gruelingly slow, and how you actually play doesn't really make any difference until you reach the levels where your score actually makes an impact anyway (9+)

Essentially it's just a waste of time. You don't have to change the rules or anything, I was just confused by the decision 🙂 

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

But wouldn't "any level" make more sense then? A forced Level 1 start is kind of gruelingly slow, and how you actually play doesn't really make any difference until you reach the levels where your score actually makes an impact anyway (9+)

Essentially it's just a waste of time. You don't have to change the rules or anything, I was just confused by the decision 🙂 

Thus far 2 people have posted scores this week - it’s really not even about making it competitive anymore I should think, it’s really more about making it more attractive and open so new people will come and play. @BeaIank and @guillavoie are way nicer people than me, if any given week didn’t attract at least 5 people I would have stopped doing it lol

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

As a3quit4s said, this is about participation rather than pure competition at this point.
But I will change the rules to "Start at any level of your preference, up to level 9". Good Tetris players will achieve good scores regardless of the level they start.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

As a3quit4s said, this is about participation rather than pure competition at this point.
But I will change the rules to "Start at any level of your preference, up to level 9". Good Tetris players will achieve good scores regardless of the level they start.

This is a good idea. Same ruleset was used in 2016.

I have a 404k level 1 score ready to post, but I should be able to do much better with level 9 starts.

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Thus far 2 people have posted scores this week - it’s really not even about making it competitive anymore I should think, it’s really more about making it more attractive and open so new people will come and play. @BeaIank and @guillavoie are way nicer people than me, if any given week didn’t attract at least 5 people I would have stopped doing it lol

Damn….,I will try to get back in here amd post more….. “dads ac service/car repair/appliance maintenance/lawn care/nursing/babysitting….” Tough to find time.

• Like 2