IGNORED

Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

I've never gotten into Metroid Prime, and I doubt I will play this game either, but I'm still glad this is happening.  The original reveal feels so long ago.

I'm seeing so many more games in the Direct that I'm excited about, so I'll probably pass on this one.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I cannot wait for Prime 4.  I LOVE the Prime series, and have been looking forward to this game for years.  I'm just glad to see it is still on the radar and will eventually get released.  It is nice to see an update, even if a small one.  Really excited for Prime 4!

• Love 1

Events Team · Posted

I haven't played any of the Prime games so when they were showing gameplay I just assumed it was a remake of Prime 2 and/or 3 similar to what they did with the first Prime game since I'm not familiar with either, but then the Prime 4 logo popped up and I was like OH SHIT WAIT A SECOND

Editorials Team · Posted
33 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I haven't played any of the Prime games so when they were showing gameplay I just assumed it was a remake of Prime 2 and/or 3 similar to what they did with the first Prime game since I'm not familiar with either, but then the Prime 4 logo popped up and I was like OH SHIT WAIT A SECOND

Part of me was paranoid it could be a Samus Returns remaster, but I figured it had to be MP4 considering the final June clip is always their biggest of the year.

• Like 1

The more I think about it the more I would have liked this game to have been a launch title for new hardware. While it’s awesome to get a new Metroid of any kind the gameplay footage I saw (was it gameplay footage) was not graphically impressive at all and looked like it could be run on Wii U. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

This trailer is so worthless lmao. It's basically the Metroid Prime 4 logo all over again. The little we see is so similar to the existing Metroid Prime games that I don't even know what to be excited for. Same art, music, animations, enemies, UI, etc. You can even tell the controls are the same the way the reticle snaps to enemies.

To be clear I'll happily take another by the numbers Metroid Prime game, I just don't understand how it's been in development hell for a century if that's all it is.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

Events Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

This trailer is so worthless lmao. It's basically the Metroid Prime 4 logo all over again. The little we see is so similar to the existing Metroid Prime games that I don't even know what to be excited for. Same art, music, animations, enemies, UI, etc. You can even tell the controls are the same the way the reticle snaps to enemies.

To be clear I'll happily take another by the numbers Metroid Prime game, I just don't understand how it's been in development hell for a century if that's all it is.

I mean, were you expecting them to completely reinvent the wheel, or? Like... yeah, it's a Metroid Prime game. I guess I just don't really understand why you're disappointed that a Metroid Prime game... looks like Metroid Prime. I'm not disappointed when a new Zelda game looks like a Zelda game.

Also it was in development for so long because they had to completely restart development from scratch since the first iteration of the game that was being made didn't pan out, and game development takes a long time, it's not an overnight process.

3 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I mean, were you expecting them to completely reinvent the wheel, or? Like... yeah, it's a Metroid Prime game. I guess I just don't really understand why you're disappointed that a Metroid Prime game... looks like Metroid Prime. I'm not disappointed when a new Zelda game looks like a Zelda game.

In the TOTK trailer you could see 100 new things even though it looks pretty much BOTW-y on the surface. I don't think anyone would mix up a Super Mario Odyssey trailer for being a Mario Sunshine remaster. I'm pumped for more MP, my expectations have just been tempered from "MP4 was cancelled so Nintendo gives us the MP sequel we deserve" to "Metroid Prime Remastered ROM hack".

7 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Also it was in development for so long because they had to completely restart development from scratch since the first iteration of the game that was being made didn't pan out, and game development takes a long time, it's not an overnight process.

My take on this is... Although I loved the first game, I never had the patience to actually finish Prime 2, and thus never even got around to 3 at all.

So a fourth game in the series shouldn't really be of any interest to me as long as I'm still behind on the series.

Now if this game actually showcased anything that really set it apart from the other games in the series, that would definitely pique my interest. But as it is, at this point I might as well just play 2 or 3 as this game.

That's strictly personal though, and for sure fans of the original three games, especially those who have played them through multiple times, should be proper excited for this!

That said, personally, I'm really bored by the clinical bog-standard scifi metal walls that might as well have been taken out of 500 other video games out there. I'd have loved to see some more alien or organic structures instead. 🙂

I'm a big Metroid Prime fan, and this has probably been my most anticipated Switch game for YEARS at this point. However, I must say I am really surprised just how similar this game looks to the prior games in the series. I was expecting Nintendo to have taken the extra time they needed to get this game right to add a new twist on the series, especially seeing as it's been like what, 15+ years since the last one?

Metroid Prime was a real revelation when it came out, something truly new and special. Metroid Prime 2 had the light/dark world mechanic which made a significant impact on the way the game played, and also gave it a very distinctive visual style as well. They kinda took a step back towards the original game with Metroid Prime 3, both in terms of the game design and the visual design, and now it looks as though they are well and truly going back to that same groove with this one.

Hopefully we will see more variety in the visual style and gameplay once more of the game is revealed, or at least a classic Nintendo gameplay gimmick/curveball to shake things up a bit. But, as of right now, I'm like eh.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

We are finally able to play as Zelda in a (real) Legend of Zelda game.  It's too bad we can't play as Metroid in a Metroid game.  

Headcrab's Adventure: A Half-Life Side Story

45 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

We are finally able to play as Zelda in a (real) Legend of Zelda game.  It's too bad we can't play as Metroid in a Metroid game.  

I have no clue what that'd look like, but I'd probably play it.

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

But we always play as Metroid, that's the main character.

I also love playing as Halo.