IGNORED

Gaming with Turbo Buttons

fcgamer

Does anyone else here enjoy gaming while using turbo buttons? A lot of the controllers that I use have turbo buttons built in, so I find myself using them constantly in some of the classic greats of my youth. For example, it just feels so satisfying to light up the different enemies and bosses in the various RockMan games using rapid fire. Is it cheating? Yeah, probably, but I've beaten those games so many times over the years that half the time I can't even be arsed to watch the ending as it comes on.

Does anyone else enjoy using turbo buttons and rapid fire on different games? 

• Like 3

Cheating? No, unless you're in an actual competition that bans their use.

I don't usually use them, but I won't say that I never used them. Some games the turbo messes things up, but others it works fine. Fester's Quest even suggests using a turbo controller right in the manual. 

For NES, I prefer using a standard controller, but I do have a Quickshot QS-128N arcade stick that has turbo (for each button it can be independently active, but it doesn't have the adjustable feature the Advantage has.) My AVS has an adjustable turbo function you can activate if you want for any controller hooked into it, but I've never used it beyond testing a few things. 

There are some games that seem almost intended to sell you turbo controllers, like Silver Surfer. There's no reason any shoot-em-up game should not have auto-fire while holding down the button.

I never owned or used an NES Max (although I'd definitely like to try one at some point) but I did have an NES Advantage as a kid and also got an ASCII Pad for the SNES pretty early on and loved them both. They're not necessary or even impactful in the majority of games but they can come in handy on odd occasion (and are fun to goof around with sometimes). I enjoy the sparing use of them and don't consider them "cheating" at all, unless under specific circumstances as Tulpa mentions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A good turbo button can be a fun way to mess around, but yeah I'd call them cheating. They're not all created equally though. The turbo on a Gamestop Gamecube controller is far from frame perfect. For a lot of people its possible to just push the button normally faster. At that point it is barely cheating (sort of like save stating on the continue screen in a game with infinite continues). Perfect turbo buttons can kinda break a lot of games though

• Agree 1

Yes. I use Turbo on almost ALL shooters.

Love me some autoscrolling shooters like Legendary Wings, Dragon Spirit, or Gun.Smoke... I use my NES Advantage and crank that turbo WAY up.

Actually... it's best to find the "sweet spot" for the speed of the turbo.

Also, I've found using the turbo on my Sansui Joycard on Contra can be fun sometimes..... just as a novelty, or because I don't feel like button mashing.

Can be a bit tricky though if your gun doesn't fire at the same clip as you could manually.

I consider it "cheating", but I don't really care. As mentioned, if it's not for a competition which explcility states it's not allowed, then whatevs... go for it.

No way I could beat Gun.Smoke without the turbo, so it's not as fun to play without it.

It hurts my hands and it's hard as fuck. Fuck that. GIVE ME THE GUNS!

• Like 1

I don't subscribe to "cheating" being a thing if it's you/your friends having fun and enjoying the game as you see fit. Unless it's a competition setting with strict rules, anything goes for any reason IMHO. With that said, I loved using turbo buttons for the TEST YOUR MIGHT section on MK SNES lol.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

What's the difference between a turbo button and autofire?

There isn't much of one. If I had to come up with a difference I would say turbo buttons only exist in the controller while autofire can refer to it being programmed into the game or a turbo button

• Thanks 1

I don't even have a controller that has turbo buttons. I personally wouldn't use them because not using turbo is part of the challenge for some run n guns and shooters. Mashing is an art.

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

No harm in it in most cases unless you're into some picky competitive stuff.

It can save your hand after awhile, and in other cases it just can maybe level the playing field a bit too potentially without being an actual cheat because you can still only controller or not fire off as fast as the game can accept it.  The difference being you tire, a controller doesn't.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

All turbo all the time. Especially for shoot-em-ups.

I've grown past my personal qualms about "cheating" through a game. If it makes the experience more fun and less frustrating, I'm all in!

(Although admittedly, being accustomed to autofire all the time makes it hard to re-acclimate to games with charge-shots where you can't play properly with turbo - like R-Type.)

[T-Pac]

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

All turbo all the time. Especially for shoot-em-ups.

I've grown past my personal qualms about "cheating" through a game. If it makes the experience more fun and less frustrating, I'm all in!

(Although admittedly, being accustomed to autofire all the time makes it hard to re-acclimate to games with charge-shots where you can't play properly with turbo - like R-Type.)

[T-Pac]

This is kind of how I feel about it, especially as time has become more limited. 

• Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted
2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

This is kind of how I feel about it, especially as time has become more limited. 

Yeah - it's definitely not the right approach for everyone, but it's the best for me. 

Some people prefer to dedicate a lot of time to a small number of games, truly beating and mastering them. Whereas I find more satisfaction in dedicating a smaller amount of time to a larger number of games, using "cheats" to fully experience what they have to offer without the goal of mastery. (At least in most cases.)

[T-Pac]

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

Yeah - it's definitely not the right approach for everyone, but it's the best for me. 

Some people prefer to dedicate a lot of time to a small number of games, truly beating and mastering them. Whereas I find more satisfaction in dedicating a smaller amount of time to a larger number of games, using "cheats" to fully experience what they have to offer without the goal of mastery. (At least in most cases.)

[T-Pac]

I was visiting some retro gamers who had a gathering a few months back, and one of the games they had was a "no die" multicart of popular NES games. This was a bit much for me, as imo it just leads to getting sloppy by removing any sort of incentive to trying to learn some strategies; however something like turbo I feel just adds to the fun.

Events Team · Posted

I like turbo in a casual setting, particularly with shmups.  But if turbo is a weapon upgrade, I'll generally use a regular controller and go out of my way to acquire and retain the turbo in lieu of other upgrades regardless of their power.  1943 instantly comes to mind.

On 6/14/2024 at 12:07 PM, fcgamer said:

For example, it just feels so satisfying to light up the different enemies and bosses in the various RockMan games using rapid fire.

I feel like I've earned the right to use turbo after playing Mega Man so many times.  I'll occasionally rock the Advantage for a different challenge and crank up the turbo for some added fun.  

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 5:38 PM, Webhead123 said:

There are some games that seem almost intended to sell you turbo controllers, like Silver Surfer. There's no reason any shoot-em-up game should not have auto-fire while holding down the button.

IIRC some games were designed to sell turbo controllers. I think starship hector was one such game.

• Agree 2

I like using them on some games.  Commando is a good one.  The character can actually shoot in more than 8 directions, but it's so tight, I doubt many people would pull it off without turbo fire. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

The manual straight told you to use a turbo controller.  Twice!  So, not cheating at all for Fester's Quest.

Fester's Quest was one of those NES games I had back in the day and I remember thinking, "Gee, this would be a lot easier with turbo", then to read the manual and confirm...yes, even the developers think so. 😑

Edited by Webhead123