IGNORED

Full set collectors--what was the last game you bought that completed your set?

RH

I've finished two sets and I worked my way to the middle as well. For wii u the last game was axiom verge, although I actually finished it the day before that game released with the voice lol  for gamecube my last game was kao the kangaroo 2, just happened to be the last game I needed and could find locally because I don't mind going the ebay route while collecting, but I like finishing off sets in person 

The caveat here is my "set" is licensed NES without Stadium Events as I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to afford one.

The last game I got was Stack-Up.  I got down to about 25 games left and Stack-Up was the cheapest one remaining.  I was actively searching for one the whole time and it just didn't pan out until the very end.  Turns out since then I picked up two more copies of the game.  One was loose for a good price and the other was CIB.

Toward the end I had a pretty big gulf in value between Stack-Up and the cheaper games left on my list.  The last two "cheap" games I got were Castle of Dragon and Klashball.  I ended up buying both of them at the same time from a seller.

A couple common games that eluded me were Batman and Top Gun.  I'm pretty sure I had over 500 NES carts before I got either one, including multiple copies of Top Gun: The Second Mission.

25 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

The caveat here is my "set" is licensed NES without Stadium Events as I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to afford one.

The last game I got was Stack-Up.  I got down to about 25 games left and Stack-Up was the cheapest one remaining.  I was actively searching for one the whole time and it just didn't pan out until the very end.  Turns out since then I picked up two more copies of the game.  One was loose for a good price and the other was CIB.

Toward the end I had a pretty big gulf in value between Stack-Up and the cheaper games left on my list.  The last two "cheap" games I got were Castle of Dragon and Klashball.  I ended up buying both of them at the same time from a seller.

A couple common games that eluded me were Batman and Top Gun.  I'm pretty sure I had over 500 NES carts before I got either one, including multiple copies of Top Gun: The Second Mission.

Unrelated to this topic but I don't count needing SE.  Since Nintendo bought SE and rebranded it, it's the same game.  You just need one version or the other. 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Havent completed any. NES wise I wont get stadium events so I guess it wont be complete. Im closing in on 700 carts there. 

Wii U I am close. Just need just dance 2017, 2018, 2019 and Paper Mario Color Splash, oh and Cars 3. Still dont own that stupid late release. So one of those will probably be the last. Probably cars 3 or Just Dance 2019. Waiting for them to go down in price. Ive wanted paper mario but cant ever get a used copy in a deal. Kept thinking Id get it in a B1G1 at a game store or something on a black friday, but they never have it when there is a deal.

Edited by Quest4Nes

Editorials Team · Posted

I recently finished my loose GB set, but I had been paying a lot of attention to the high end, so my last few games were just some randoms. I reached a point where I stopped worrying about finding deals, and I just sat down and bought the last few on ebay. I thought the last game was Days of Thunder, which I couldn't find a copy of anywhere, even online. Finally after a couple weeks, I was waiting for my order at an In-n-Out when I checked ebay and saw a copy for a few bucks. I was ecstatic. When it arrived in the mail I double-checked the whole set and found out that Pac-Attack had never actually shipped (from my ebay run-through a couple weeks earlier). So I had to painstakingly message the seller, get no response, file an ebay claim, wait a few days for that, then when I was sure the seller was MIA I bought a copy from someone else. Very anti-climactic but my last game was in fact Pac-Attack.

@RH where did you finally find Darkman?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lago said:

Right?  I mean wouldn’t SE or WCTM technically be a variant?

Well, it all comes down to how you want to collect.

The generally agreed upon full licensed set is 677 games, including SE. The determining factor as best as I can tell is which games have unique code. Since SE and WCTM have different title screens, they have unique code.

The end of the PS2 set was annoying because the last thing I needed weren't games, but a handful of manuals that were missing for some reason or another. I don't remember exactly which ones were in the last lot I bought (there were like 10), but I know Zatch Bell Mamodo Battles, Fairly Oddparents Shadow Showdown, River King, and Xiaolin Showdown were among them. Also had to pick up a case for Tourist Trophy at the same time since every other copy I went through were the GH version.

I only do CIB, so though to complete sets. I have completed a few though.

Microvision - Phaser Strike (non Star Trek version)

RCA Studio II - All of them. Bought the CIB set from one guy. No Bingo though.

Vectrex - Polar Rescue

Virtual Boy - Jack Bros.

Gameboy - F1 Pole Position

Gameboy Color - ISS 99 and Space Maraduer (bought from same guy)

Gizmondo - Bought all 8 USA games and the system from same guy.

Edited by RpgCollector
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, RpgCollector said:

Gameboy Color - ISS 99

Ughhh I forgot about this one. I've been casually gathering black GBC carts, thinking it was a pretty easy set, especially after grabbing a sewing software cart. This'll be the fun one though. At least I'm only after loose.

10 hours ago, RpgCollector said:

8 hours ago, Splain said:

Ughhh I forgot about this one. I've been casually gathering black GBC carts, thinking it was a pretty easy set, especially after grabbing a sewing software cart. This'll be the fun one though. At least I'm only after loose.

I'm in the same boat man.  I'm seriously thinking about going for the black carts, which is why I asked for the list. There always has to be something that's expensive in the lot.  God forbid there's a complete set of anything where the most expensive title is $20.

Editorials Team · Posted

Nothing is exempt. VB? GBA Video? Game.com? R-Zone? Game Boy Camera? No. Nothing is exempt. They all have a high end.

I hate walking out of local shops empty-handed, I want to support them (and I probably have some sort of spending disorder lol). I started going after black carts when I stopped finding grey carts I needed in local shops. Lots of them are cheap as dirt, and they're still DMG-playable so it can be justified. :D It's probably only a matter of time before I start on clear carts as well, but I don't want to shell out for Shantae.

And the shop I go to most often always has a ton of Lynx games, so I've picked off like 15 of those so far too, lol. Those are fun because some games have physical variants.

1 minute ago, Splain said:

Nothing is exempt. VB? GBA Video? Game.com? R-Zone? Game Boy Camera? No. Nothing is exempt. They all have a high end.

I hate walking out of local shops empty-handed, I want to support them (and I probably have some sort of spending disorder lol). I started going after black carts when I stopped finding grey carts I needed in local shops. Lots of them are cheap as dirt, and they're still DMG-playable so it can be justified. 😄 It's probably only a matter of time before I start on clear carts as well, but I don't want to shell out for Shantae.

And the shop I go to most often always has a ton of Lynx games, so I've picked off like 15 of those so far too, lol. Those are fun because some games have physical variants.

I had a nice Shantae and I let it go when I doubled my investment.  It's at least double that, now, I'm sure and I wish I hadn't.  If it weren't from that, then yeah, I'd probably go for clear GBC games too.  Instead, though, I'll probably just stick with Game Gear and black cart GB games.

I like to support my local shops too but condition preference always gets the best of me.  I don't know what it is though, but compared to online sellers, the people around here trading in their old GB games treated them like trash.  You can find trash online, but nothing around where I live is ever in mint shape.  Everything has a damaged label of some form or is sun faded like crazy.  I usually end up buying a couple of $5-10 titles for the NES, SNES or N64 if they are in excellent shape.

I had a Shantae too from my earlier days on NA period when I was out west, was even then around a $100 game and someone tossed it on a table full of games for $5 so yeah.  I played it, well tried to for a time, but I never ended up liking it as it just didn't sit right with me so I sold it.  I don't exactly regret it as I'm not a GBC set collector, hell if VB wasn't so small I wouldn't have been for that either, but still it would have been nice to retain just in case.

I value buying local too, but at the same time I'm not stupid or wasteful as the budget just isn't there still.  If they're asking what I'd pay online or worse, they can just simply pound sand.

My goal was to put together a full NES set minus Stadium Events without using eBay. The majority of the games I found in the wild at flea markets and garage sales and Craigslist. I also made some nice trades on NA with duplicates and other items I found and didn't need. Ironically, the last game I ended up needing was Mario's Time Machine. I had passed on it many times in the wild because it was always either way overpriced compared to the going price or had a completely jacked up label and they still wanted full price. 

On 12/4/2019 at 10:25 PM, RpgCollector said:

I only do CIB, so though to complete sets. I have completed a few though.

Microvision - Phaser Strike (non Star Trek version)

RCA Studio II - All of them. Bought the CIB set from one guy. No Bingo though.

Vectrex - Polar Rescue

Virtual Boy - Jack Bros.

Gameboy - F1 Pole Position

Weren't you close on Game Gear too, down to 1 or 2 titles at most?