IGNORED

Full set collectors--what was the last game you bought that completed your set?

RH

As I'm approaching the end of my complete Game Boy set (with only 9 more needed for the final set) I really can't wait to see which one will be the last one for me.  In my case, it's looking like it will probably be a title that's definitely rare but, unfortunately, has only gone up in value in the past year or so.

I started out buying the heavy hitters of the time (this was back in late-2016) with titles like Amazing Tater and Spud's Adventure, and then worked my way down the NA rarity list, while picking up cheap lots as well.  Basically, I worked my way to the middle but, it turns out, the middle actually has rare titles and now, 4 years later, as the market matures, some of these titles are getting expensive!

So, for those of you that completed your set, what was your last game?  Was it what you expected? Bonus question, what was the toughest title for you to get, that you weren't expecting to be tough?  You know, something like a really rare shovel-ware title that kept eluding you, or a game from a  really popular series, but that one less common title NEVER came up in great shape?

EDIT

Just for reference, here are the remaining GB titles that I need. I honestly didn't know what the last 9-10 would look like, but I didn't think it'd be this:

1. Flintstones: King Rock Treasure Island, The
  2. International Superstar Soccer
  3. Last Action Hero
  4. Ninja Gaiden Shadow
  5. Shaq Fu
  6. Spider-Man & X-Men: Arcade's Revenge
  7. Sword of Hope 2, The
  8. Tumble Pop
  9. WCW: The Main Event
Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Awesome thread idea dude!  I can't wait to see what others were hunting.  I'm within ten or so from a handful of other sets, I'll come back and add those in when I've knocked them out.

32X (CIB) - World Series Baseball

3DO (CIB) - Dino Park Tycoon & Woody Woodpecker Vol 2 (same time)

Jaguar (sealed) - Raiden

Jag CD (sealed) - Brain Dead 13

HyperScan (sealed) - Marvel Heroes (stunned how hard this was to track down)

Lynx (sealed) - Ninja Gaiden 1

Odyssey 2 (including all NAP/Magnavox variants) - Quest for the Rings (Magnavox variant)

Sega CD (CIB) - Night Trap (red box variant with rating sticker)

Sega Master System (CIB) - Dick Tracy

Vectrex (CIB) - AnimAction

Virtual Boy (CIB) - Waterworld

Vita (mostly sealed) - At this point, I'm not even sure what the last LRG Vita game that arrived was; I'm just ready for it to be over lol.

Wii U (mostly sealed) - Axiom Verge (by nature of release timing)

Xbox OG (CIB) - I knocked out my last 15 or so at once, the most notable title was probably Buffy: Chaos Bleeds

Updated (3/6): Added recently completed NA SMS set.

Edited by VGCollectaholic
  • Like 3

I know for sure that my last N64 game was Mario Party 2 and for my 32X was Pitfall Mayan Adventure. I cant remember what my last one was for Sega Master System. I think Panic Restaurant was my final game for the NES "set". Thats in quotes because I was always missing Stadium Events but never expected to get it. I've since sold alot of my NES games when I went back to college.

I did the same thing as you with my N64 set, worked towards the middle. So it wasnt ever  hard to find but for some reason its real easy for me to buy a high end game or a bunch of cheap commons but for some reason dropping $30 or $40 on one game was hard for me.

Pitfall was a pain to find, 32X was cheap back then but that came just took forever to show up.

• Like 2

Odyssey 2: Atlantis (got two copies on the same day!)
NES: Flintstones 2 (Stadium Events 😢)
Game Boy: Toxic Crusaders (Had one that turned out to be a bootleg)
Virtual Boy: 3-D Tetris
Genesis: Aero the Acro-bat 2 (took forever to even find one)
Sega CD: Keio Flying Squadron
N64: Maybe ISS 2000
Saturn: Crypt Killer (It was/is overpriced for what it is so I avoided it)
Xbox: Def Jam Fight for NY (Popular game with high price tag so I avoided it)
Wii U: Axiom Verge

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I did the same thing as you with my N64 set, worked towards the middle. So it wasnt ever  hard to find but for some reason its real easy for me to buy a high end game or a bunch of cheap commons but for some reason dropping $30 or $40 on one game was hard for me.

This is so true.  I don't mind it at all if it's a game I really want, but I think it's also why my list has titles that are now in that range, if not valued at more.  I'm at that home stretch, as I call it, and I feel like I just can't quit.  That said, many of the titles on my list are likely going to cost me $40+.  Shaq Fu is probably going to end up being the worst offender.  I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me it'll be the last one I get because it will be the last one standing, and at that point, some eBay seller will probably get lucky and get my $80-100 because it's in the right condition and I'm "done".

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, RH said:

This is so true.  I don't mind it at all if it's a game I really want, but I think it's also why my list has titles that are now in that range, if not valued at more.  I'm at that home stretch, as I call it, and I feel like I just can't quit.  That said, many of the titles on my list are likely going to cost me $40+.  Shaq Fu is probably going to end up being the worst offender.  I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me it'll be the last one I get because it will be the last one standing, and at that point, some eBay seller will probably get lucky and get my $80-100 because it's in the right condition and I'm "done".

Yea I feel like there's a sense of accomplishment or like "ugh thank god that one is out of the way" for games that are say $100+. Then theres the satisfaction of getting a whole swath of cheap games in a lot when each game is $15 or less. But anything from $20-$100 has got the "man do I really have to pay that for this". 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Game Boy: Toxic Crusaders (Had one that turned out to be a bootleg)

I think I remember that in the variant thread over at NA.  Glad you got a legit copy.  That one took a major turn upwards.  I paid a lot for it, but no where near what it's valued at now.  I also got Jimmy Conner's just before it turned up to much too!

12 minutes ago, RH said:

I think I remember that in the variant thread over at NA.  Glad you got a legit copy.  That one took a major turn upwards.  I paid a lot for it, but no where near what it's valued at now.  I also got Jimmy Conner's just before it turned up to much too!

Holy effing balls. $171 for a loose cart???

Edit: A Jimmy Connors loose cart sold for $250?? No offense to us cart only Game Boy collectors but who the hell is collecting cart only Game Boy games?

Edited by DefaultGen

Spiker for Intellivision, though this is a bit of cheat as I got the recent Blue Sky Rangers re-release.

Axiom Verge for WiiU

The above are the only systems I've completed in the last few years.  Some earlier set finishers:

Wheel of Fortune 2 for game.com.  Yuck.

Tank Command Atari 7800.

Breakout 2000 Jaguar

Spider-man Web of Fire 32x

Alien Invasion Channel F

Power Lords Odyssey2

Super Blockbuster Microvision

I've got some other full sets (N64, Sega Master, Genesis [no Joey], Lynx, Dreamcast, Game Gear) but I've no clue which specific titles finished off those collections.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, hyrulevyse said:

I've only complete the N64 and ISS 2000 was my last game.  It was also easily the toughest or one I looked for the longest, they're just harder to find in good shape than their availability would suggest.

I’ve found this to be true about a lot of games, especially any with matte labels. I just got a copy of Mr. Do! for the GB.  I think it’s the fourth copy I’ve picked up in 4 years and it was the first one in a condition I find acceptable. Buster Bros. was the first title I ran into that was like that.  It wasn’t specifically rare but it took me a while of active searching to find one I liked. Even that was from a solid tip off from @acidjaguar.

Had this been 2018 and you knew of me over time you'd be surprised I'd even be in this thread.  Dumb luck followed by a friend helping in a couple ways, and despite the brevity compared to most who don't just overspend and get it all at once (or nearly) I did wrangle the VIRTUAL BOY US complete set loose (mostly complete too) this year.

Most would probably be surprised to think of it, but it was not Jack Bros, that came earlier on due to a crazy cash+trade combo that kept it relatively cheap.

My last game was a CIB copy of Waterworld.  I already had the manual immaculate though, so I brought it down selling that (-60) for $140 in the end.

• Like 1

My only full set is N64 - completed early 2017. I knocked all the then-$80+ games out early. My last 50 carts were sports carts and maybe 10 mid-range carts I thought were overpriced. I ran across a game shop on vacation and bought all the commons I needed for $1-3. The last game was Tony Hawk 3 which was ironically the last title to be made for the N64.

• Like 1

The last VIrtual Boy games was Jack Bros.

The last WiiU game was the New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U bundle.
This one was planned. New Super Mario Bros U was the first game that I bought for the WiiU and so I thought it would be a cool touch to have the bundle as the last one.

And for the Nintendo 64 was a lot with those games so I don't really know which one was the last:

KfOJ6L6l.jpg

Little Samson (and it was what I expected since I started with dirt commons and worked my way up).  I kept holding out hoping for "the find" but it never happened.  Then on my birthday in 2019 I found and purchased a box of extremely rare skate video VHS tapes for cheap (I know a lot about skateboarding, whole other obsession of mine) and ebayed any of the ones I didn't keep individually...a week later the auctions all ended and I had an extra 1K in my PayPal (not even joking, yes off of skate VHS, one tape alone sold for $250 to my surprise).  So, I found a nice copy of Little Samson and haggled a guy down to $875.  Never in my life would I have otherwise spent that much on a game but I felt I owed it to myself as a belated birthday gift considering the circumstances and luck of finding that magical stash of VHS.

Edited by 8bitsupremacy
  • Like 4

Uncommon/rares I found for $5 or less in the wild, that I did not expect to ever find that cheap: Action 52, Kid Klown, Chip N Dale 2, Sword Master (with manual 😎), Hilsfar, Power Blade 2, Die Hard, Last Action Hero, Rockin' Kats, DK Jr Math, Mario's Time Machine, Baby Boomer, Indiana Jones Ubisoft, Pugsly's Scavenger Hunt, Jimmy Connors Tennis, Whomp 'Em, Mickey Adventure in Numberland...some others too but those come to mind first as they were true wild finds at garage sales, flea markets, and thrifts.

Games I NEVER saw and actually think are way more rare than their price implies: L' Empereur, Pro Sport Hockey, Nobunaga's Ambition 2 (I think this is probably the rarest game on the system next to SE, if you want my honest opinion).

Edited by 8bitsupremacy

So far I’ve completed one set.  Wii U.  The last game was Axiom Verge.  The second to last was Disney Planes Fire and Rescue.

I tried buying this four times unsuccessfully.

1st time: bought Disney Planes thinking I already had F&R.

2nd time: came incomplete and SCRATCHED from GameStop

3rd time GameStop website order, partial order was canceled by the website for some inexplicable reason.

4th time GameStop employee manually ordered my partially canceled.  I got planes instead of F&R.

5th time is the charm.  eBay.  Paid a couple dollars more than I thought it was worth .  But the set was finished!