IGNORED

The Mandalorian discussion thread (spoilers)

BriGuy82

54 minutes ago, Californication said:

I guess I'm the only one that thought that was one of the weakest episodes this season. 

Hide contents

So the guy that had Bubba Frtt's armor has been protecting that town for years, but Mando gets his armor and Bubba Fett immediately knows he has it and where to find him?

When the female assassin pushed down the boulder, it magically got bigger and rolled over soldiers standing in a perfect line.

Or the part where Mando finally joins the fight and all of the storm troopers learn how to aim since he has armor on. 

And the light saber looked like a laser sword. They dump all kinds of money into this show and I've seen better effects on a Youtube video.

jesus christ man its a show

Spoiler

The sword at the end is the black saber. Do you. Its not a normal lightsaber. Its the sword for the leader of mandalore. Did you watch clone wars? 

Edited by Quest4Nes

Events Team · Posted

Yeah they're really bringing it this season. 

Spoiler

Ahsoka was badass as was the return of Boba Fett.  This might be my favorite Star Wars story since Return of the Jedi.

But seriously what the fuck is up with the name Grogu?  Shoulda kept him nameless.  Doesn't really matter I guess.  He'll forever be Baby Yoda anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quest4Nes said:

jesus christ man its a show

Reveal hidden contents

The sword at the end is the black saber. Do you. Its not a normal lightsaber. Its the sword for the leader of mandalore. Did you watch clone wars? 

This is like the main selling point of Disney plus and I am sure they are putting a crazy amount of money into it.

I just don't understand how some of their writing is closer to a mid-grade tv show instead of writers on say HBO. 

1 hour ago, Californication said:

This is like the main selling point of Disney plus and I am sure they are putting a crazy amount of money into it.

I just don't understand how some of their writing is closer to a mid-grade tv show instead of writers on say HBO. 

Im guessing you didnt finish game of thrones.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Im guessing you didnt finish game of thrones.

Touche.

But then I can name The Wire, Deadwood, West World, Luck which have individual episodes or the entires series which are better that half of the Star Wars franchise. 

As far as writing goes people think the Mandalorian is amazing because the bar has been set so low from so many Star Wars failures.

20 minutes ago, Californication said:

Touche.

But then I can name The Wire, Deadwood, West World, Luck which have individual episodes or the entires series which are better that half of the Star Wars franchise. 

As far as writing goes people think the Mandalorian is amazing because the bar has been set so low from so many Star Wars failures.

Its just hard to consider your opinion when you dont know what the dark saber is.

Edited by Quest4Nes

6 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Its just hard to consider your opinion when you dont know what the dark saber is.

What does that have to do with a sniper breaking a boulder off of a mountain with her feet, and storm troopers lining up like bowling pins? 

The sniper ran along the crest of the ridge for a couple hundred yards making herself a taget for gunfire - bad writing. Walk to the other side of the ridge so they can't see you.

Same way when Mando gets into trouble and someone always comes to save him. That's bad writing. Good writing would have the character figure a way out of their problems. When Mando gets stuck what ever he needs magically appears. 

1 hour ago, Californication said:

I know Quest was teasing but if you enjoy the show even a little, watch the last few seasons of Clone Wars. They're the same director (?) And some of the same writing staff. Also Clone Wars and Rebels are basically all about mandalor. Like, literally half of each series is dedicated to mandalor and it's history. 

For fans of the prior Star Wars series,  Mando is basically fan service. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Californication said:

What does that have to do with a sniper breaking a boulder off of a mountain with her feet, and storm troopers lining up like bowling pins? 

The sniper ran along the crest of the ridge for a couple hundred yards making herself a taget for gunfire - bad writing. Walk to the other side of the ridge so they can't see you.

Same way when Mando gets into trouble and someone always comes to save him. That's bad writing. Good writing would have the character figure a way out of their problems. When Mando gets stuck what ever he needs magically appears. 

yea and baby yoda shot a blue beam of energy out of a rock

why are we comparing this to deadwood. This is a fantasy show for family. Just let it go. Its ok

On 12/4/2020 at 9:55 PM, Californication said:

I guess I'm the only one that thought that was one of the weakest episodes this season. 

Nah you're not the only one. While I don't think it was completely terrible, it didn't live up to, imo, the bar set by the episode previous.

Spoiler

Mando was hit really hard with plot induced stupidity this episode and hardly factored into any of the action... which I guess works for the purposes of "OMG BOBA FETT" fanservice which, sure more power to the creators, but I feel like there were better ways to handle it then just having him just run head long into (force) wall three times.

Especially when they poorly circumvent their own logic, as the one thing that stood out to me was Mando's jet pack. It was demonstrated when he was almost "robbed" a few episodes previously. He can control the thing remotely and even uses it early in this same episode to travel to the shrine easily... then when he takes it off during the standoff with Fennec and Boba towards the start, it is completely and utterly forgotten. In fact it isn't even shown at all after the fact, when it's been a pretty important piece of Mando's arsenal and used to great effect... just disregarded here for now apparent reason.

All that said it had some good stuff

Spoiler

Some neat Easter eggs & lore bits sprinkled throughout, especially confirming that Jango Fett (and I guess Boba by extension?) is a Foundling like Mando, putting the literal decades long debate of whether the Fetts were Mandalorians or not. Grogu putting his Force Powers on display was entertaining, also Gideon's taunting of Grogu afterwards.

Also some interesting bits at the end when the scroll through the prisoner's database is going on.

At the least still quite interested where this goes, hopefully they'll pick back up with a bit more consistency and not keep passing around the idiot ball.

21 minutes ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Hide contents

Some neat Easter eggs & lore bits sprinkled throughout, especially confirming that Jango Fett (and I guess Boba by extension?) is a Foundling like Mando, putting the literal decades long debate of whether the Fetts were Mandalorians or not. Grogu putting his Force Powers on display was entertaining, also Gideon's taunting of Grogu afterwards.

Also some interesting bits at the end when the scroll through the prisoner's database is going on.

Follow-up response in spoiler tag, to the bolded statement in your spoiler tag...

Spoiler

What get's me about this show is I feel like they hint at how this character (Grogu) is really teetering on force dangerous.  Meaning, we assume since he looks like a mini-Yoda, he's destined to be some "Jedi" light-side force wielder.  The truth is, though, the SW universe seems to make it clear that some people are force sensitive while others aren't, but a whole lot of dark side or light side choosing boils down to environment, personal experience and choice.

Grogu is a child, he's "force aware" and he has absolutely no one to train him.  Gideon smiling at him throwing around stormtroopers, IMHO, is a bit of foreshadow, I think, that this kid isn't going to be so "light sided" as we expect.

Well, that's my theory.  We shall see in the inevitable next 4-5 seasons.

3 minutes ago, RH said:

Follow-up response in spoiler tag, to the bolded statement in your spoiler tag...

Hide contents

What get's me about this show is I feel like they hint at how this character (Grogu) is really teetering on force dangerous.  Meaning, we assume since he looks like a mini-Yoda, he's destined to be some "Jedi" light-side force wielder.  The truth is, though, the SW universe seems to make it clear that some people are force sensitive while others aren't, but a whole lot of dark side or light side choosing boils down to environment, personal experience and choice.

Grogu is a child, he's "force aware" and he has absolutely no one to train him.  Gideon smiling at him throwing around stormtroopers, IMHO, is a bit of foreshadow, I think, that this kid isn't going to be so "light sided" as we expect.

Well, that's my theory.  We shall see in the inevitable next 4-5 seasons.

I see where you're coming from, especially with

Spoiler

Ahsoka's foreshadowing the episode previous about Grogu's attachment.

Though also crossed my mind as well at the end of the this recent episode, I would say they're leaning hard into it.

That all said, this is Disney were talking about, they're all for their fairy tales and happy endings. I doubt they would based on that and sheer amount of fan outrage they'd receive.

4 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I see where you're coming from, especially with

Reveal hidden contents

Ahsoka's foreshadowing the episode previous about Grogu's attachment.

Though also crossed my mind as well at the end of the this recent episode, I would say they're leaning hard into it.

That all said, this is Disney were talking about, they're all for their fairy tales and happy endings. I doubt they would based on that and sheer amount of fan outrage they'd receive.

Well, keep in mind that when you get outside of the mainline stories, there are many force sensitive characters that kind of straddle the line. My complete guess is that there really is no plan to make Grogu a Jedi, but that's just my theory.

Regardless, I'm have a tough time figuring out how they will wrap this series. I don't see Luke or Leia entering into this saga and if it's currently implied that Luke will find him, then there's the problem of simply where was he during the sequel trilogy? You can kind of assume he might be dead, especially since Kylo Ren killed all of Luke's knights in training that didn't join him, but as you point out, does that really sound like a Disney move?

So, where is the little guy in 15 years?

Spoiler

It's anyone's guess and that's why I'm completely speculating that he will become a Mandalorian foundling, and might even somehow come to possess the Dark Saber. They might have to do a bit of jumping into the future to show that, but it seems plausible. Not likely, but plausible.

12 hours ago, RH said:

Regardless, I'm have a tough time figuring out how they will wrap this series. I don't see Luke or Leia entering into this saga and if it's currently implied that Luke will find him, then there's the problem of simply where was he during the sequel trilogy

The main series just focuses exclusively on the skywalker's so I don't see it being a problem if mando lives til old age or does in a blaze of glory. So much of what happens on the clone wars, rebels, resistance is never even touched on in the movies.

Luke just kinda did his own thing and carried out the legacy of the Jedi while the remaining Jedi (Ashoka at least) saw the folly in the order and chose either to go other own way, cut themselves off of the force or become grey users. Even in fallen order,

Spoiler

it showed that since the empire was so strong and effective at hunting down Jedi and turning them to the dark side that when given the chance to recruit force sensitive kids they chose not to. It seems that even after the destruction of the first death star that the empire is tracking down force sensitives. I think there's a whole arc of what happened outside of the skywalker's saga that we're completely blind to.

Now with Ashoka looking for Thrawn, and by  association Ezra, I think there is a good chance that Rey was last jedi in the classical sense, that she stood for the Jedi Order and followed the texts and rituals but far from the last force using, light saber weilding, fighter of justice. 

On 12/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, Californication said:

To be clear the boulder was blasted loose before she pushed on it. She noticed this and used it to her advantage. The whole thing was an homage to Indiana Jones anyway.

Also the whole point of the crest run was to draw gunfire away from the others. That's why she didn't duck. She needed to be the distraction.

40 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Luke just kinda did his own thing and carried out the legacy of the Jedi while the remaining Jedi (Ashoka at least) saw the folly in the order and chose either to go other own way, cut themselves off of the force or become grey users.

It's been a really, really long time since I've watched the prequels and, in fact, I think I only saw Revenge of the Sith once in theaters, and never again.  Maybe a rewatch on DVD when my wife bought me the 6-DVD set of all of those movies.  So, I don't remember the details as of the end of those films.

However, I seem to recall that at least early on after RotS, that all Jedi were considered killed except Obi-Wan, who obviously went into hiding while protecting Luke from a distance on Tatooine, and even Yoda (who has always had a really strong resolve) went into hiding in Dagobah for an intended remainder of his life.  Obviously, the expansion of cannon since then has shown that other Jedi do exist but I'm guessing we are to assume that Jedi numbers should be very, very small.  Likely fewer than 10 as of the time of The Mandalorian, and even that feels like a stretch.

So, if Luke is off trying to rebuild the Jedi and Ahsoka is just being a Jedi in practice but has no interest in rebuilding the Jedi order, then we can probably conclude that any remaining Jedi might also maintain being Jedi but have abandoned the notion of an organized group of Jedi/light-side force wielders "keeping peace in the galaxy".  Luke and Leia are off on their own, and the other Jedi are keeping a low profile.

I get it, this is a big galaxy and "a lot is going on".  But when you have galactic heroes like Luke and Leia, and they want to work to rebuild the Jedi order, then if you are Jedi that's alive up to this time, why wouldn't you join them or, at a minimum, contact them and possibly lead force-sensitive individuals to Luke and his establishment of a new Jedi Order?

This is an over-arching question but I still think it has implications for this series.  IMHO, Baby Yoda can't really resolve into being a Jedi.  All rational paths lead back to the Skywalkers, or the Skywalker saga simply isn't as important to the galaxy as we are led to believe.  I doubt the latter though, since they were both pivotal characters in bringing down entire head of The Empire.  People would know them, and Jedi-in-support-of-Jedi would definitely try to contact them. Ergo, any Jedi that finds and takes care of Grogu should probably, eventually, him to Luke.

Long nerd post, I know.  But I will finish saying that this is what seems logical to me.  I fully understand, though, that writers for these films often don't fully flesh out these details so who knows what would really happen.  Regardless, I just can't see how this little yoda-ling character can end up on the path of Jedism.  The continuity just doesn't fit well in the larger narrative of the universe.

6 hours ago, RH said:

why wouldn't you join them or, at a minimum, contact them and possibly lead force-sensitive individuals to Luke and his establishment of a new Jedi Order?

Im only going off of what has been recently released but the Empire hunted Jedi's down so by formally identifying yourself as one, you basically out a hit on yourself lol. But there were at least 5 Jedi that survived the purge but the idea of being hunted or just cutting yourself off from the force was probably an easy one since the empire was so strong.

First the Jedi were hunted to be exterminated. Then force sensitives were hunted to be either turned to the dark side or terminated. Then Death Star 1 blew up and  the prophecy got reworked to think that maybe Luke and anakin could somehow together balance the force and the empire turned their attention from all force sensitives /  jedi to only Luke.

Then Death Star 2 blows up and the Empire turns their attention back to force sensitives to try to begin the cloning process to being Palatine back to the helm.

It just seems like the pressure the empire put on the Jedi was too much for the ones that were even left over. Sheeve knew some jedi would get away and made it to risky to be a jedi the ones that remained. Really I think they if Luke knew what the empire did to force sensitives / jedi he would've stayed on tstooine lol

Events Team · Posted

The last episode infiltrating the Imperial outpost was righteous.  Great theme, comedy, and relentless action.  I just about forgot it was the baby Yoda show until my daughter mentioned that we didnt even see him at the end of the show.

Can't believe we just have one episode left.