IGNORED

The Sega Saturn Thread

4 minutes ago, LinkLoZ said:

Why is MM8 so much more valuable than MMX4?  Who knows.  There was a time, back around 2012-2013, when MM8 was reasonably available (for a saturn game) and not too expensive, $40 maybe.  Meanwhile, X4 already had a bit of value to it at the time, not $100 but more than $40 for sure.  Then in later 2013/early 2014, MM8 dried up and when it started to resurface it went to the moon while x4 didn't change at all.  After that MM8 became known as a Saturn heavy and once everyone is convinced of that there's no going back i suppose.

It was in the $40-$60 range in 2004. I used to have the Saturn version around that time.

3 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

It was in the $40-$60 range in 2004. I used to have the Saturn version around that time.

Hmm, then it was in a slump.  I didn't start collecting saturn until the beginning of 2012 and online sales for it were in that $40 range back then and into 2013 before it disappeared online.  A local shop had a copy for $40-50 canadian that had some minor wear and i kept passing on it as i was after a mint copy.  The shop was quick to re-price it after it spiked and i ended up buying it for over $100 canadian.  That was a good price as the game was continuing to rise, but it still felt like a hollow victory.   Eitherway, back in 2012-2013 MM8 was cheaper then X4.

2 hours ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Mega Man 8 on the Saturn has some things that weren't in the PS1 version.  The one that sticks out are some bosses from earlier Mega Man games that were added to the Saturn version.  I know Wood Man was added in there and others too iirc

Do you know if there were any differences between the PS1 and Saturn versions of X4?

2 minutes ago, attakid101 said:

Do you know if there were any differences between the PS1 and Saturn versions of X4?

X4 has some nicer background effects thanks to Saturn's VDP2. That's about it.

As for Megaman 8, it does have some bonus content, but even then it used to be the cheaper of the two. X4 came out after E3 of 1997 when Stolar officially declared the Saturn dead in the US. So it's more likely to have a lower print run than Megaman 8. The entire reason 8 suddenly spiked in price I blame on pricecharting sites. I remember us Saturn collectors seeing it happen in real time back around 2012ish? Basically there was a BIN listed on ebay for $125 for well over a year that wasn't selling. Then someone bought it even though there were auctions going for far less (around the $30-$50 range). Suddenly on price charting sites it was being listed as extremely rare and worth $125. Ever since Megaman 8 has been going for stupid prices.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's hard for me to pick any CIB Sega Saturn game that isn't over valued at this point. Any game worth playing CIB is $60+ . I wanted to buyer Virtual On which I remembered to be a bottom of the bucket, dirt cheap, common Saturn game only to watch several auctions in a row end up over $60 + shipping. 

One of the draws for me of RE on the Saturn is the novelty of a largely playable 3D game on the console since it's not really known for its 3D capabilities. 

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

I am so excited. I won an auction (aka only person who tried to win it) and it's a model 1 Saturn with a Rhea. I miss the Saturn! I am normally anti-piracy as heck however, as mentioned in this thread, the $ has just gotten ruined. I wanna support game devs not people who ruin the market.

I’m with you on the $$$ thing, but I can’t bring myself to buy fake games. I’d rather just emulate.

The Satiator may be a good option for you. It’s got a high cost of entry but it’s plug and play. Plus when compared to the rest of the Saturn library it’s not really that expensive…hell, I paid more for my copy of Resident Evil.

@attakid101 yeah, I think I got a good deal though honestly who knows. Not sure what the Satiator is, though the Rhea essentially just swaps the disc drive to an SD card. It's using the hardware to play the game. Wish this tech existed when I had my Saturn collection, I might not have sold/traded it in to a LGS.

• Like 1

Recent pickup. This game is tough to get into. It’s hard to control, even with the 3D Pad. Plus there are several graphical and camera issues. Definitely for collectors only in my opinion.

QUESTION: The back art of my copy is kind of wavy. I also noticed this on my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Is this a common thing? What other games have this issue?

466C2223-EEF8-44FF-80E2-3B5A0A882133.jpeg

5 hours ago, attakid101 said:

Recent pickup. This game is tough to get into. It’s hard to control, even with the 3D Pad. Plus there are several graphical and camera issues. Definitely for collectors only in my opinion.

QUESTION: The back art of my copy is kind of wavy. I also noticed this on my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Is this a common thing? What other games have this issue?

466C2223-EEF8-44FF-80E2-3B5A0A882133.jpeg

I enjoyed this game but the price doesn’t match the worth these days. Some of the camera angels are a battle in themselves but I did enjoy it overall. It had some good ideas and probably something I would have enjoyed more if I played it at the time.

• Like 1

I took a bit of a hiatus from collecting for about a year. Im getting back into it by specifically picking up games that I've been wanting to play for the longest time. Most of my collection has been built by picking up games locally. For like 8 years, I've never found a copy of Virtua Cop 2. Why do I do this to myself? There has been no reason to wait this long lol. 

I finally got around to buying this game (good deal on eBay). I'm so happy to finally play it! It is a whole lot of fun. I love the Saturn and Sega's arcade titles. This rocks.

20210909_194117.jpg

20210909_192011.jpg

Edited by acromite53
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Decided to finally jump into the Saturn. Emulation for this thing seems like such a pain. No point in even trying out Mednafen's no-command-line bullshit, Kronos wants me to install like 3 different other things to get it working so forget it, and uoyabause has been a buggy piece of utter crap. At least SSF has mostly worked so far! We'll see how long it takes before technical problems cause me to throw in the towel.

First game tried:

Astal - 6/10

(I had to check some box in the settings to get the game to actually run. I have no technical understanding whatsoever, but this is not at all an obscure game by Saturn standards so I found the necessity of this utterly baffling.)

I actually had previously played this several years ago when I started fiddling with Saturn emulation and it was the only game I got through. Why Astal? Hell if I know.

Anyway, it looks great, has some neat ideas, and the entire thing is kinda cute. But there's not too terribly much to the game - 9 levels and 7 boss battles and the levels are pretty straightforward, generally not very intense, and with the normal enemies generally being pretty whatever. Astal himself has some decent moves but isn't exactly inspiring to control either. The Japanese version seems to have had 5 health and unlimited continues versus 3 health and 1 continue for the west. The former change was fine, you can use the bird to easily get more health anyways. The latter was definitely not; replaying the entire game because you got a Game Over makes the visuals and level design wear out their welcome. If they were so afraid of people one-and-done-ing this one, they probably should have just made a better, meatier game to begin with. It does have 99 lives and level select codes though so I didn't really penalize the game for it, but having to go through the bulk of the game multiple times really made the lack of replay value here pretty apparent. Despite that I just replayed it. Whatever!

Edit: Oh, just noticed this was in the collecting section. My bad.

Edited by MagusSmurf