IGNORED

The Sega Saturn Thread

28 minutes ago, Californication said:

The thing is I requested a console from Kid Shoryuken months back, but he picks up and sends what he chooses on my list. It's starting to drag on though so I may just grab one.

If you're planning to play all regions I do recommend getting it modded too. Seeing as you already have some heavy hitters out of the way for Japan I'm guessing you'll be grabbing some of the US ones as well?

There's a surprisingly large amount of games that require little to no English in the Japanese library, which is good. I have a list of around 250 games I do eventually want to get (at around 80 so far) and they consist of platformers, shmups, puzzle games, fighting games, beat 'em ups and racing car games. This system rocks if you love those types of games.

You going to grab this beast?:

CV | Sega Saturn Virtua Stick Pro 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shmup said:

If you're planning to play all regions I do recommend getting it modded too. Seeing as you already have some heavy hitters out of the way for Japan I'm guessing you'll be grabbing some of the US ones as well?

There's a surprisingly large amount of games that require little to no English in the Japanese library, which is good. I have a list of around 250 games I do eventually want to get (at around 80 so far) and they consist of platformers, shmups, puzzle games, fighting games, beat 'em ups and racing car games. This system rocks if you love those types of games.

I was planning on sticking with Japan only, wasn't hardly planning on going outside of Platforming/Shooters. 

That thing is cool. I don't own any arcade sticks, but am constantly thinking about whether I should.

Edited by Californication

34 minutes ago, Californication said:

I was planning on sticking with Japan only, wasn't hardly planning on going outside of Platforming/Shooters. 

That thing is cool. I don't own any arcade sticks, but am constantly thinking about whether I should.

I have it and absolutely love it. I got it way cheaper then what they're going for now though. They are very well made and I'm glad I got one.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

Why not just get action replay and skip the modding? 

I might be wrong that you might have some better options with a modded one

8 minutes ago, Knud said:

Why not just get action replay and skip the modding? 

I might be wrong that you might have some better options with a modded one

I am planning on doing something like that for the Dreamcast actually because there are only two or three U.S. games I want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shmup said:

I'd read that the action replays sometimes cause issues. But yeah action replay is also a great option if they're reliable. 

I actually have no personal experience with it, just saw it had good reviews and it is easier process then modding to just stick a cartridge in the cd based machine(which sounds so odd)and it does magic.

7 hours ago, Shmup said:

There's a surprisingly large amount of games that require little to no English in the Japanese library

In terms of JP exclusives, I can't really think of anything outside of Shining Force III. Pretty much everything else is action games. It's great.

RE: sticks
Personally it's completely impossible for me to play a shooter or fighter without an arcade stick, on any console. They just aren't designed for d-pads. For other genres it usually doesn't matter as much, with a couple of rare exceptions.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

RE: sticks
Personally it's completely impossible for me to play a shooter or fighter without an arcade stick, on any console. They just aren't designed for d-pads. For other genres it usually doesn't matter as much, with a couple of rare exceptions.

I love playing shooters with gamepads, especially ones that don't have auto fire or require you to take your finger off the fire button to do something else. It totally doesn't make my hands look like this when playing on a gamepad.

YdWLfBJ.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, attakid101 said:

Can someone explain the love for Virtua Fighter 2? It often makes people’s top 10 list for Saturn games.

WHY? It’s clunky, floaty, and only has two attack buttons.

What am I missing???

I never cared for it but didn't play it until the last 5 years or so.  I think because of the novelty of it at the time it released helos it ends up in those lists.  Like how Mortal Kombat ends up in top lists for 16-bit generations but isn't a good game at all

• Like 1

7 hours ago, attakid101 said:

Can someone explain the love for Virtua Fighter 2? It often makes people’s top 10 list for Saturn games.

WHY? It’s clunky, floaty, and only has two attack buttons.

What am I missing???

The speed of the combos is really satisfying. VF2 was a launch title but I think VF Kids gets the graphics better and the movements more precise. Fighters Megamix is the peak of the mini franchise on the system. 

It's crazy to think that VF has, what, essentially 5 games on one system. They really put a ton of work into that franchise to have it just go down the toilet. I guess it was just too tough to complete w Capcom in the space. 

I'm a fan of the game tho. I had it as a kid and, like I said, once you can pull combos together it is really satisfying, especially with the speed you can throw them. Sega tho, all about going fast 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The speed of the combos is really satisfying. VF2 was a launch title but I think VF Kids gets the graphics better and the movements more precise. Fighters Megamix is the peak of the mini franchise on the system. 

It's crazy to think that VF has, what, essentially 5 games on one system. They really put a ton of work into that franchise to have it just go down the toilet. I guess it was just too tough to complete w Capcom in the space. 

I'm a fan of the game tho. I had it as a kid and, like I said, once you can pull combos together it is really satisfying, especially with the speed you can throw them. Sega tho, all about going fast 😅

i remember thinking vf remix was the best thing i had ever played. is it compairable to vf2? i never played vf2.

• 1 month later...

I’m gonna be bumping this thread every once in a while with recent pickups. Hopefully we get more traffic that way. The other console specific threads are laughing at us. 

Picked up Mega Man X4 a few weeks ago. Loving it. Classic Mega Man stuff.

Does anybody know why Mega Man 8 is so much more expensive than X4? I feel like they must have received a similar production run. What’s the deal?

E70E0D96-DE18-4B64-8557-179EE4092E0A.jpeg

• Like 1

Why is MM8 so much more valuable than MMX4?  Who knows.  There was a time, back around 2012-2013, when MM8 was reasonably available (for a saturn game) and not too expensive, $40 maybe.  Meanwhile, X4 already had a bit of value to it at the time, not $100 but more than $40 for sure.  Then in later 2013/early 2014, MM8 dried up and when it started to resurface it went to the moon while x4 didn't change at all.  After that MM8 became known as a Saturn heavy and once everyone is convinced of that there's no going back i suppose.