IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Tournament Final Round - Balloon Fight

BeaIank

2 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

Just a lil shot in the ribs bud. You think I can grab 200k? I hate the physics. 

This game must seem weird if you've never even played Joust before. But the Grinder usually pulls through and gets a decent score as long as it's not a puzzle game.

Don't underestimate Balloon Trip though. It's hard. Bert is either unusually good or this is one of those games that he played a lot as a kid.

21 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

This game must seem weird if you've never even played Joust before. But the Grinder usually pulls through and gets a decent score as long as it's not a puzzle game.

Don't underestimate Balloon Trip though. It's hard. Bert is either unusually good or this is one of those games that he played a lot as a kid.

200k should be reasonable if you can get a perfect score on the bonus levels. I didn't do anything special point pressing wise and got 241k. I haven't spent enough time on the Balloon Trip mode to see if there's some kind of repetitive pattern or not, but it's really tough to navigate with the controls. 

19 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It's also possible that skinny already has a great score and he's bluffing. I don't trust that guy.

That's also possible, but with it being Thanksgiving week, I would be more inclined to believe him this time.

18 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

200k should be reasonable if you can get a perfect score on the bonus levels. I didn't do anything special point pressing wise and got 241k. I haven't spent enough time on the Balloon Trip mode to see if there's some kind of repetitive pattern or not, but it's really tough to navigate with the controls. 

That's also possible, but with it being Thanksgiving week, I would be more inclined to believe him this time.

There's more of a set pattern that is the same every time for the first 20 balloons in Balloon Trip and then it gets more unpredictable, but there are still patterns.

28 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Scoreuploaded Ladies GentleLadies!

Spoilers : bertsampson si still in the lead.

Keep up the good work everyone, there's still a chance of an upset to take it away from bert (still love you bert!).

Hey, no love lost there Guil.  I'm kinda regretting posting my scores so early.  Maybe we'd see some more lively competition this week.  But, maybe there was other ideas in my head...

Come on guys.  Grab your balloons and FIGHT!!!

MERRY TURKEY DAY!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bertsampson said:

Hey, no love lost there Guil.  I'm kinda regretting posting my scores so early.  Maybe we'd see some more lively competition this week.  But, maybe there was other ideas in my head...

MERRY TURKEY DAY!!!

If it helps liven up the competition, I did discover later yesterday after posting my score that there's a repeatable bonus available in the Balloon Trip mode (spoiler free hint) which can be a real score booster if you can get it.

7 hours ago, bertsampson said:

Your gonna regret posting that score so early and encouraging the grinder to pick up the 36 grit little wampsie! 

I broke 100k in fight yesterday! And I haven’t tried trip yet.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I managed to get up to 253k on the Balloon Trip mode, so I'm just over 1/4 of the way there! 

I played a bunch of Balloon Trip the other night and couldn't improve my score. Sometimes you get patterns that are really tricky to squeeze through while also trying to pop the balloons.

I expect tables to post something ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If it helps liven up the competition, I did discover later yesterday after posting my score that there's a repeatable bonus available in the Balloon Trip mode (spoiler free hint) which can be a real score booster if you can get it.

The bonus also changes the value of the balloons. At least for the first two or three times that you get it.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yeah, the bonus is really worth it if you can get the hang of it, but sometimes you need to pass it up to keep going.

The first bonus can be gotten consistently without too much trouble. It gets harder after that. I keep going for it though. Greed can be a problem.

5 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Someone who is technically inclined needs to get this set up as a weekly live stream. I'd totally watch.

Luckily I'm not technically inclined at all. I would be the most boring streamer ever. Anyone that's watched me play in person can tell you I just sit perfectly still, locked in and totally quiet. Basically the total opposite of @skinnygrinny's Excitebike video where he doesn't hold still and can carry on an entire conversation with himself. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, bertsampson said:

MERRY TURKEY DAY!!!

Last score update from me. That last run took me over a half hour nonstop. I've got Bearcats games this afternoon and tomorrow, so there's no way I'm getting any closer to your score. Great job man!

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Last score update from me. That last run took me over a half hour nonstop. I've got Bearcats games this afternoon and tomorrow, so there's no way I'm getting any closer to your score. Great job man!

I've had some Balloon Fight runs where at least I would have had over 240k but I screwed up on the bonus round. That's very annoying when that happens. Oh well there's still plenty of time to keep trying.

Edited by mbd39

8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I've had some Balloon Fight runs where at least I would have had 240k but I screwed up on the bonus round. That's very annoying when that happens. Oh well there's still plenty of time to keep trying.

Well I got just over halfway to Bert's Balloon Trip score, but there's no way I'm beating that by Sunday. Good luck in the tournament the rest of the way!

Edited by Bearcat-Doug