IGNORED

Games that are actually worse than you remember.

gutsman004

4 hours ago, Hangoin said:

The original Jurassic Park for the Sega Genesis was one of my all time favorites as a kid. When I emulated there was a lot of slowdown and frame drops in some places. I thought it was just an emulation problem but when I hooked my genesis up for the first time in five years......... oh dear... I got a lot of respect for the game but ooh dear...

Jurassic Park is one of mine too. Loved the game as a kid but it's very dated now. I would like to play through it again though, it's probably been 25 years since I last played some of the later stages.

Another one is Star Wars Rebel Assault 2, it is awful but as a kid I thought it was mind blowing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

I really liked Mega Man 2 when I was a Kid, and of course I still like it now (Mega Man is my favorite video game series). But, the game does have several flaws and doesn't deserve all of the praise it receives.

One other problem that this guy didn't mention: if Mega Man gets hit when there's lots of flicker, he actually moves back farther than he normally does.

Blasphemy!!! You shall be taken to the village square and stoned!

But on a serious note, which is your favorite in the series?

• Like 1

The Sims.  I had all the expansions for the first game and put tons of hours into it.  I built up a couple huge houses, had maxed stats, and reached the top of my career path.  I built custom vacations and city locations as well.  Earlier this year I watched a speedrun of the game and was reminded how clunky that game was.  Glad I have never gone back to play it and can stick with the memories.

16 hours ago, Nugfish said:

I see the merit in flashback and Mana but putting OOT in this list is crazy talk! 😋

It seemed like every time I walked into Electronic Boutique people would be going on about how good OOT was and I'd think it sounded lame. Fast Forward 20 years - I popped it in for the first time this summer and I was both blown away and incredibly frustrated with my childhood-self for never even renting it.

At least you didn't pass it up for Quest 64. True story.

I could have listed the Atari but I knew 95% of those games were terrible. I did enjoy a few though. 

Not that I like them any less,but now that I am adult,I can’t seem to get into RPGs much anymore. Likely because I just don’t have the time to sink 50,60,70+ hours into a game. The only RPG series that is the exception to this is the Dragon Quest series. Not sure how many hours I poured into DQ 11 but it was worth it even though the final boss is pretty lame.

1 minute ago, gutsman004 said:

I could have listed the Atari but I knew 95% of those games were terrible. I did enjoy a few though. 

Not that I like them any less,but now that I am adult,I can’t seem to get into RPGs much anymore. Likely because I just don’t have the time to sink 50,60,70+ hours into a game. The only RPG series that is the exception to this is the Dragon Quest series. Not sure how many hours I poured into DQ 11 but it was worth it even though the final boss is pretty lame.

I'm the same way with RPGs. I'm not even sure it's a matter of free time. It's just that since I've been playing more NES I've developed more of a taste for skill based gameplay and the immediate gratification provided by such. 50 hour RPGs don't interest me that much anymore.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm the same way with RPGs. I'm not even sure it's a matter of free time. It's just that since I've been playing more NES I've developed more of a taste for skill based gameplay and the immediate gratification provided by such. 50 hour RPGs don't interest me that much anymore.

I’m pretty much in the same boat,sans the DQ games. I am itching to play FF and Crystalis though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gutsman004 said:

I'll put you to the Pepsi Challenge on that one.  
I can rattle off a list of 100 Atari games and there's no way that 95 are terrible.   

Or for quick reference, pull a game list from any of the recent Atari Flashback units.   Maybe 25% of the games on there suck, tops.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'll put you to the Pepsi Challenge on that one.  
I can rattle off a list of 100 Atari games and there's no way that 95 are terrible.   

Or for quick reference, pull a game list from any of the recent Atari Flashback units.   Maybe 25% of the games on there suck, tops.

Word.  Atari fuckin kills.

51 minutes ago, trj22487 said:

NBA Jam 16 bit versions, particularly SNES. I can't believe as a kid I didn't notice how much it sucks compared to the arcade and even Genesis game. I thought it was pretty much all the same when I was 6.

Oh no! I love the Sega version of TE and still play from time to time. I think I played the arcade version maybe twice in my life but now I’m gonna have to seek it out. Let’s hope this isn’t one of those glass shattering moments for me where all of a sudden you notice all these flaws that you were oblivious to and can no longer overlook them.

Bad Dudes on the NES. I played the arcade version with the owner as a kid every time I was in there. When I got the NES version as a kid, I was excited just to be able to play it at home, but when we played it in the 2013 weekly contests it really hit me how poorly it held up (even though I still won the contest).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MachineCode said:

Oh no! I love the Sega version of TE and still play from time to time. I think I played the arcade version maybe twice in my life but now I’m gonna have to seek it out. Let’s hope this isn’t one of those glass shattering moments for me where all of a sudden you notice all these flaws that you were oblivious to and can no longer overlook them.

The arcade versions can only be pulled off on a 32-bit system or better. But yes, it's much worse than the Mortal Kombat ports in terms of sound, graphics and animations. If you're gonna go with a 16-bit version, Genesis T.E. is definitely the best.

Basically the same deal with their first game, Arch-Rivals, really shouldn't have been ported to the NES, but they tried.

Edited by trj22487

10 minutes ago, trj22487 said:

Basically the same deal with their first game, Arch-Rivals, really shouldn't have been ported to the NES, but they tried.

Arch-Rivals. I haven’t heard that name in a minute. I think I might know that game more from Tyrone being part of the Video Power team vs actually playing the game.

41 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

Arch-Rivals. I haven’t heard that name in a minute. I think I might know that game more from Tyrone being part of the Video Power team vs actually playing the game.

I have a soft spot for Arch Rivals. I just remember the sheer joy of punching people on the virtual basketball court.

• Like 1

64 is really hit and miss. Some games still hold up gameplay wise but definitely look rougher than we remember. The big problem with most 64 games are the graphics and clunky cameras. I played through Mission Impossible a few weeks ago and the controls, AI, and foggy graphics were much worse than I remember. Still enjoy some of the good games on the system though. 

Completely agree about OoT being boring as shit for the first half of the game. A big part of that comes from playing it too much though... Those games aren't really designed to run straight from point A to B. When you're child Link you're essentially running from dialogue to dialogue with very little action but that's broken up by exploring when you first play it.  

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

OOT has some issues (things like shooting an eyeball being a "puzzle" constantly) so I'll concede it isn't perfect but it will probably be hard to top as my favorite game ever. OOT is definitely worse than I remember. Goldeneye and SM64 are just as good I think, I beat both again this year. I don't get the hate really. I guess Goldeneye multiplayer wouldn't hold up in an era where I won't even touch console games because of low framerates but the campaign is so damn good.

Here's a deep cut: Winged Warrior, an awful DOS RPG that felt epic as a kid. It was clearly made by someone who didn't really know how to make a good RPG and just tried sort of copying the style of popular JRPGs.

spacer.png

Edited by DefaultGen

On 11/23/2019 at 12:12 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

Yeah, you Atari haters are nuts.

It's the perfect choice for when you only have about a half hour to play games; there are plenty of fun and cheap titles to choose from.

@Darth Vader- there's a few guys on AtariAge that sell reconditioned paddles; they're definitely worth it if you play enough paddle games.

I get seeing Atari hate out in the wild with people who are used to 4k resolution open worlds, but here? On a website for old farts who collect old games? shocking.

• Like 2