IGNORED

Board games

JordyRamone

8 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

This is a pretty interesting little game - the simplicity of a board game mixed with some miniatures aspects.  You can put the boards together to make larger battlefields.  A lot smaller than battlemasters too!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/228509/travelbattle

Never seen 5mm or 10mm historical done as a self-contained "board game", that is interesting.

That scale and theme is usually the geekiest of the geeks for tabletop gaming, so not exactly peak-commercial-audience.

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

Never seen 5mm or 10mm historical done as a self-contained "board game", that is interesting.

That scale and theme is usually the geekiest of the geeks for tabletop gaming, so not exactly peak-commercial-audience.

I have never really gotten into miniatures (too expensive and you have to cat proof your set ups) - this is a good compromise and Napoleonics are perhaps the best suited for miniatures (or a hybrid in this case).  The company also made an ACW set but that is just miniatures rather than the board game hybrid.

Some of my favorite video games, board games,  books, movies or whatever are of a more obscure nature.

https://www.backerkit.com/call_to_action/82201861-b630-4bf2-a45c-d9649dcd0245/landing

Looks like the guys that made the new edition of Fireball Island are upping the ante with Dark Tower.

Hopefully they learned the QC lessons on Fireball Island -- though I will say that the game PLAYS well compared to the original, so I'd expect some rules-improvements here, too.

Direct link to the kickstarter:

Direct

Edited by arch_8ngel

18 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

Here is one of the better board game treatments of the Lord of the Rings.  A lot of nice figures in this also.

This one really excels at theme I think. Basically the rules of the game enforces an outcome that feels like a narrative. It can go in many different ways, but one very likely strategy would be basically how things play out in the books, which I think is really cool.

I have two LOTR board games, and this is the other one. 🙂

Edited by Sumez

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

This one really excels at theme I think. Basically the rules of the game enforces an outcome that feels like a narrative. It can go in many different ways, but one very likely strategy would be basically how things play out in the books, which I think is really cool.

I have two LOTR board games, and this is the other one. 🙂

We have come a long way since the old board games with cardboard counters.

Editorials Team · Posted
48 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Has anyone played the game Secret Hitler?  I picked it up a while back but it’s never even been out of the box.  I never thought about when I’ll ever have enough people together to actually play it.  Is it any good?  Wondering if I’ll have to go make friends or something?  Ugh.

I have a friend who LOVES Secret Hitler but I've never played it myself. Next time I'm on the moon let's meet up and try it out.

• Like 1

Here are three interesting games made by Hoyle in 1987.  (The Legend of Camelot is the best - pretty simple rules but it is easy to generate home made ones.)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6665/legend-camelot

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5282/raise-titanic

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5474/galaxy-command

The Galaxy Command game is pretty good also - the pieces are really sad though and only vaguely resemble spaceships.

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

On 1/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, Hammerfestus said:

Has anyone played the game Secret Hitler?  I picked it up a while back but it’s never even been out of the box.  I never thought about when I’ll ever have enough people together to actually play it.  Is it any good?  Wondering if I’ll have to go make friends or something?  Ugh.

Secret Hitler is INCREDIBLY fun! If you like social party games like Mafia/Werewolf and The Resistance you will enjoy this one for sure!

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, Wandering Tellurian said:

If you had the room you could put the boards together for one massive game -  we usually had four of them strung together.  It was also very amenable to rule modifications.   I have a whole bunch of these stuck away in storage.

Oh wow.. I haven't thought about Battle Masters in ages! I used to play that with the kid down the street back in the day all the time! Great fun.. I was always the 'evil' team, but could never really seem to win ..that damn canon always hosed me

On 1/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, Hammerfestus said:

My friend made a print and play version set in Westeros that was a lot of fun

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1726222/secret-spider-game-thrones-variant-secret-hitler

• Like 1

I love board and card games, play them whenever I can.... which isn't often enough unfortunately

On 1/13/2020 at 10:59 AM, KokiriChild said:

Betrayal at House on the Hill

I love Betrayal Games. Betrayal at House on the Hill, Betrayal Legacy, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate (shoutouts to D&D)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I love Betrayal Games. Betrayal at House on the Hill, Betrayal Legacy, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate (shoutouts to D&D)

The One vs all part of betrayal is what loses me. It seems like I am the only person that feels that way, but even Dead of Winter and Fury of Dracula fall short for me for that reason...which is a bummer because I want more games with a horror theme...

8 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Got this in today. Pretty awesome

The base game box feels fine and sturdy. Heard alot of complaints about the box. Did they fix it?

20200125_110042.jpg

They must have updated the box. Mine are pretty shoddy boxes by modern board game standards, which is why I sprang for the laser cut box from Broken Token.

6 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

They must have updated the box. Mine are pretty shoddy boxes by modern board game standards, which is why I sprang for the laser cut box from Broken Token.

Yeah i noticed the crimson cutlass is one of the cheaper fold inward flap ones. That must have been the way the base game was. Now its really quality thick and sturdy. The spider expansion had the new quality one too.

Risk is fun in its basic concept, but god damn does it have issues. Most notably I think the fact that you can basically lose the game long before (literally hours before) it's actually over with no way to ever really recover. Not only does this mean that the game is basically over for you while the other keep playing. It also means that any decently strategic opponents would make the better choice of just ignoring your presence because you're no longer a threat, which means you still need to take actions every turn despite not having a anything decent to do with it.

A major factor in most modern strategy based board games is that they always have some kind of balancing mechanic - "rubber banding" if you like, that gives losing players a chance of recovering, or at the very least still have fun despite dragging behind.

IMO Smallworld is a great alternative to Risk, that plays on very similar mechanics, but also adds a very simple element that's able to maintain the dynamic of the game no matter how much one player beats up another one. It's a fun game with a simple ruleset, and it's very easily available due to its popularity, so I'd suggest everyone checking it out if you haven't already.