IGNORED

Board games

JordyRamone

4 hours ago, TriHart said:

When I started getting into the modern boardgame hobby, the amount of different monopoly games I received with different skins as gifts was quite extensive. It wasn't until I had amassed about 6 or 7 different ones that I had to have the "I know you mean well, but it's not these board games I enjoy playing" (referencing the mass market games) conversation with my extended family.  😅

"I know you mean well... but Monopoly is designed to be un-fun and is possibly one of the worst board games every designed, from a gameplay standpoint..." 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Richardhead said:

This is all I’ve got. Been wanting to pick up some of those 90’s board games like fireball mountain.

I picked up the kickstarter of the remake of Fireball Island and sold my original.

Figured it would give me the physical novelty of the game without having quite so huge a box on the shelf and I could sell my original for the ludicrous current eBay prices.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

"I know you mean well... but Monopoly is designed to be un-fun and is possibly one of the worst board games every designed, from a gameplay standpoint..." 😉

Hah!

My next sentence in that conversation was to ask to play another game. I was trying to keep them on my side and not alienate them, but that's definately what I was thinking.  😅

• Like 1

I really liked Letters from Whitechapel, a strategy game where one player is Jack the Ripper and three to four others are the police.

I have a friend who is into games that I like to call "resource management" games, like Civilization and Cosmic Encounters. I think they get kind of boring if you're not well versed in them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 9:51 AM, arch_8ngel said:

The only REALLY big box board game of the 90's was Fireball Island, IMO...

Curious of some examples of what you're referring to.

And quite a few of the popular euro-style games are sitting right there on the shelf in Target, nowadays...

I like the over the top set up 80s and 90s board games. The completely unnecessary elaborate set ups.

13 dead end drive, I had as a kid. Loved it. But some others worth noting

Forbidden Bridge

Grape Escape

Back of Buzzard

Loopin Louie

Tornado Rex

Keys to the Kingdom

Weapons and Warriors

TMNT Tower of Doom

Splat(Not really a big box game but I liked it)

Fireball Island

Goosebumps One Day at Horrorland

I think you get the idea at this point

Games today have gone to more party games and production value is cheap nowadays. Im sure there are alot of fun games, but I miss the 40 dollar board game aisle at the store with that high production quality big box game. Main companies like hasbro and well hasbro, since they bought everything is so cheap quality now.

Im sure you can pick and find good games now, but I miss these type of games.

Edited by Quest4Nes

Events Team · Posted

I love playing board games as a social activity, makes a good pretext to stick with friends/family and have a good time together. I like the cooperative ones, cause it usually makes everyone comfortable to play, especially with family and the generational gap between ages. But deep inside, the ones I prefer are the highly competitive ones, where you need to play cloak and dagger style to win over your opponents at all cost.

I played a lot of Settlers of Catan with some friends for that reason, man do we were competitive and serious about it at some point. It's like our lives depended on it for the time of a game, being over emotionally invested about every damn move made against you, or when someone get all the luck, etc.. Another one I played a lot is 7 wonders, which is fun for a quick game and easy to learn when it is your first time. Plus, with all the expansions it could get more complex, which is always appreciated when you played a lot with the basic rules.

Editorials Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

I like the over the top set up 80s and 90s board games. The completely unnecessary elaborate set ups.

Forbidden Bridge

Grape Escape

Back of Buzzard

Loopin Louie

Tornado Rex

Keys to the Kingdom

Weapons and Warriors

TMNT Tower of Doom

Fireball Island

Games today have gone to more party games and production value is cheap nowadays. Im sure there are alot of fun games, but I miss the 40 dollar board game aisle at the store with that high production quality big box game. Main companies like hasbro and well hasbro, since they bought everything is so cheap quality now.

There's plenty of party games, but there's also plenty more of everything else.  This is the goldene age of boardgames.  If you want a "big" game you have hundreds of choices

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There's plenty of party games, but there's also plenty more of everything else.  This is the goldene age of boardgames.  If you want a "big" game you have hundreds of choices

Like I said already. Im sure there are some good games out there. Im talking about going to a store and looking at the selection. Last few times Ive walked into target and walmart, it was sad. 

I sell board game parts. Ive bought/broken up  and sold hundreds of them. I know whats out there and in the mainstream board game circulation for the most part. We arent talking about independent companies. We are talking about board games sold on shelves big companies. They have gone way downhill.

Edited by Quest4Nes

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Here's most of the collection

IMG_20191130_201158.jpg

IMG_20191130_201209.jpg

Maybe it's the picture playing with my eyes, but if that is shrink on that starwars rebellion, that sucker has got to peeled open!! Such a good game. 

Always wanted to try twilight imperium, my schedule however, doesn't usually permit me to start games until the evening, and that is one bad boy that requires a noon start! Lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Forbidden Bridge

Grape Escape

Back of Buzzard

Loopin Louie

Tornado Rex

Keys to the Kingdom

Weapons and Warriors

TMNT Tower of Doom

Fireball Island

Over the holiday weekend I finally had a chance to play the Fireball Island rerelease.

It is a vastly superior game to the original, and I haven't even opened the expansions yet.

Those games you talk about have fun setup and a few minutes of novelty with the kinetics...but are not great in terms of gameplay, unfortunately.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Like I said already. Im sure there are some good games out there. Im talking about going to a store and looking at the selection. Last few times Ive walked into target and walmart, it was sad. 

I sell board game parts. Ive bought/broken up  and sold hundreds of them. I know whats out there and in the mainstream board game circulation for the most part. We arent talking about independent companies. We are talking about board games sold on shelves big companies. They have gone way downhill.

You need to find a dedicated board game store, or a good comic book store that sells games. Find one that does Magic The Gathering tournaments in the back room and you're in the right place.

It'll open you up to a whole new world of entertainment.

Edited by Tulpa

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

You need to find a dedicated board game store, or a good comic book store that sells games. Find one that does Magic The Gathering tournaments in the back room and you're in the right place.

I'd like to add as well, a good store like this will have tables and demo copies of popular games and high sellers that you can open up and play around with, and if you are inclined sit down and try it out before commiting to a purchase. 

6 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Do I get to build something and set up a grand display as part of the game?

Not too much a fan of any game that is just card based. 

Board games are a more nostalgic thing for me that I like because of the time period and childhood. Influences some of my opinion. I like what I like. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Do I get to build something and set up a grand display as part of the game?

Not too much a fan of any game that is just card based. 

Board games are a more nostalgic thing for me that I like because of the time period and childhood. Influences some of my opinion. I like what I like. 🙂

There are all sorts of neat ones out there with varying degrees of setup, some with cards, some with more traditional tokens. You never know unless you look into it. 😉

If you're looking for ones like the 80s-90s that were half toys, Chateau Roquefort and Niagara might be up your alley.