IGNORED

Board games

JordyRamone

Anyone here interested in modern board games? If not and you are curious I strongly suggest you look into it. The games now are so much better then the monopoly or life you played growing up. I have a group that gets together and plays once a week. Some of my favourite games are Blood Rage, Orleans, and Western Legends. What games do you guys like to play? 

Editorials Team · Posted

Years ago, I played a lot of the Lord of the Rings LCG.  Still have it and a billion expansions, that someday I'll have time to get to.

For game nights (not that I've had one of those in years either), Chaos in the Old World, Twilight Imperium, Blood Bowl Card Game, Acquire, some others are favorites.  I have friends (with no kids) that still play all the time and rave about stuff like Gloomhaven.

27 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

I like older board games better. The elaborate 80s 90s board games are better than today. They cheap out on games now . Whole market has changed to how cheap we can make and sell the games. 

I think you might be thinking of the mass produced games. You should really check out euro games. People say Catan is the gateway board game tho I only think it's ok. Have you heard of that one? 

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I have a sizeable stockpile for when my kids are both old enough to participate.

Had my first in the timeframe of my wife and I playing a lot of Agricola and Caverns.

Nowadays, I at least play a level of Heroquest every couple of weeks with some co-workers at lunch.

How old are your kids? There are some great kids games on the market. We have outfoxed and I just got my first scythe for the kids Xmas present. 

9 minutes ago, JordyRamone said:

How old are your kids? There are some great kids games on the market. We have outfoxed and I just got my first scythe for the kids Xmas present. 

3 and 6.

I've managed to get through a few lightweight dungeon crawls with the LEGO board games with them.

My oldest is definitely old enough for the family-style version of Agricola, as well.

I've played chess with them a few times, too.

I will look into My Little Scythe.  I haven't played Scythe since that came out after I had kids.

EDIT: and we have played stuff like candy land, checkers, memory/card-games, and that robot-turtle-mover gamer with them.

I was more talking about my serious collection of older-kid-to-adult board games that is waiting for both of them to be old enough to read so that the mechanics will all work and cards won't get destroyed by kids...

Edited by arch_8ngel

14 minutes ago, JordyRamone said:

I think you might be thinking of the mass produced games. You should really check out euro games. People say Catan is the gateway board game tho I only think it's ok. Have you heard of that one? 

Catan definitely isn't "the best" by any stretch, but it is at least easy to explain to newcomers to Euro-style games.

Agricola/Caverna is a big step up in planning and complexity on that front.  And I know quite a few more elaborate games have come out in the meantime.

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

3 and 6.

I've managed to get through a few lightweight dungeon crawls with the LEGO board games with them.

My oldest is definitely old enough for the family-style version of Agricola, as well.

I've played chess with them a few times, too.

I will look into My Little Scythe.  I haven't played Scythe since that came out after I had kids.

Scythe is good but I think my little scythe has little to do with the original. I think they just used the name for recognition. If you have been out of the game for a while you have a lot of great games to catch up on. 

1 hour ago, MachineCode said:

I’m more about Global Thermonuclear War these days 😉

A strange game. (and some REALLY strange war plans/strategeries!  Seriously, would any of those make any sense at all?)

The only winning move is NOT to play.

How about a nice game of chess?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JordyRamone said:

I like elaborate Big Box Board Games. Simple and fun. More set up the better. So 90s board games are for me. Im not really into the adult card and board games. And yes, Im talking about mainstream board games that you can go to the store and buy. They are way worse today.

11 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

I like elaborate Big Box Board Games. Simple and fun. More set up the better. So 90s board games are for me. Im not really into the adult card and board games. And yes, Im talking about mainstream board games that you can go to the store and buy. They are way worse today.

The only REALLY big box board game of the 90's was Fireball Island, IMO...

Curious of some examples of what you're referring to.

And quite a few of the popular euro-style games are sitting right there on the shelf in Target, nowadays...

Big into board games over here! We have a monthly public boardgame group that we do in our town, we bring buckets of games and try to encourage new people to the hobby. 

Personal faves are Viticulture, Scythe, Sagrada, Photosynthesis and Le Havre. 

Just got to try Tapestry and wingspan the past couple weeks, both so much fun, but I have to be selective on what gets into my boardgame collection, my wife will play games with me, but she doesn't like the big heavy ones like that I enjoy out on a night with buddies. We play Splendor, Azul, and many Deck builders together. 😁

Bringing the kids in is fun too. My younger is 2, so not quite there yet, but my older will play games with my wife and I, she's 6, we've played ticket to Ride, mission red planet, and she loves ice cool. 

23 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

The only REALLY big box board game of the 90's was Fireball Island, IMO...

Curious of some examples of what you're referring to.

Tornado Rex and Crash Canyon were pretty big too. Old board games kind of suck, so the only appeal I see in them is the neat Mouse Trap like toy appeal of them of them.

Edited by DefaultGen

13 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Tornado Rex and Crash Canyon were pretty big too. Old board games kind of suck, so the only appeal I see in them is the neat Mouse Trap like toy appeal of them of them.

When I started getting into the modern boardgame hobby, the amount of different monopoly games I received with different skins as gifts was quite extensive. It wasn't until I had amassed about 6 or 7 different ones that I had to have the "I know you mean well, but it's not these board games I enjoy playing" (referencing the mass market games) conversation with my extended family.  😅

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I don't have a huge collection, and don't actually currently own any "modern" board games. I've got Pokemon monopoly! Lol. 

That said, I DID Kickstart the Bloodborne board game at the highest level. It was a FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS which is a bit crazy, but I got ALL the expansion packs and everything. I'm really looking forward to getting that in the mail when it finally releases. 

24 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I don't have a huge collection, and don't actually currently own any "modern" board games. I've got Pokemon monopoly! Lol. 

That said, I DID Kickstart the Bloodborne board game at the highest level. It was a FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS which is a bit crazy, but I got ALL the expansion packs and everything. I'm really looking forward to getting that in the mail when it finally releases. 

This is the reason I don't really do the Kickstarter thing. There are fantastic games and beautiful production that are put out on Kickstarter, I'm going to reference anything Stonemaier games, but the amount of disappointment for what they ended up backing. I've seen and heard from end results from buddies on others makes it not worth it to me. I just wait for the retail releases and if they don't make it that far, then I guess I am out of luck or the game wasn't good enough to see one. 🤷‍♂️

All that said, I havn't followed the Bloodborne game. Let me know how it is when it comes in!!

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, TriHart said:

This is the reason I don't really do the Kickstarter thing. There are fantastic games and beautiful production that are put out on Kickstarter, I'm going to reference anything Stonemaier games, but the amount of disappointment for what they ended up backing. I've seen and heard from end results from buddies on others makes it not worth it to me. I just wait for the retail releases and if they don't make it that far, then I guess I am out of luck or the game wasn't good enough to see one. 🤷‍♂️

All that said, I havn't followed the Bloodborne game. Let me know how it is when it comes in!!

I made sure to research the company behind the board game before putting money down, and apparently they are quite reputable. The company building it is CMON, if you're familiar with them. 

Here's the Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/bloodborne-the-board-game

Scroll through the KS page and check out the figures. Honestly if we equate these to Warhammer figures then I'm actually getting pretty good value for money. Like I say I'm getting everything, so I expect to be literally buried in Bloodborne figures when it comes in the mail.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I made sure to research the company behind the board game before putting money down, and apparently they are quite reputable. The company building it is CMON, if you're familiar with them. 

Here's the Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/bloodborne-the-board-game

Scroll through the KS page and check out the figures. Honestly if we equate these to Warhammer figures then I'm actually getting pretty good value for money. Like I say I'm getting everything, so I expect to be literally buried in Bloodborne figures when it comes in the mail.

I'm very familiar with CMON. They out out quality work, you should not be disappointed on that front at the least. 😁

Played Zombicide, the Arcadia Quest games, and have a few of their non figure games in my collection. You should be in for a good time with Bloodborne!