IGNORED

Baby on the way

Rooster

Hi everyone, I just wanted to announce that my fiancée and I are going to be having our first baby early next year.  We are now about 4 months along, so we haven't learned the gender yet.  It is a bit scary to be having our baby in Japan, but it will be exciting to have a child to share my games with, too.  Any tips on what to expect?  Should I put my rare games in a high place that babies cant reach?

• Like 5

Congratulations! You have truly entered the game of life. Leveling up that little sucker is going to be the hardest and most rewarding thing you're ever likely to do (depending on the temperament of the child).

Mentally prepare for little to no sleep.

Assume that you are now the afterthought. Accept it.

Enjoy each stage of development, because unless you have another kid, those moments are gone forever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

Congratulations! You have truly entered the game of life. Leveling up that little sucker is going to be the hardest and most rewarding thing you're ever likely to do (depending on the temperament of the child).

Mentally prepare for little to no sleep.

Assume that you are now the afterthought. Accept it.

Enjoy each stage of development, because unless you have another kid, those moments are gone forever.

That is some heavy stuff, but sounds like really good advice.  Thank you! 

3 hours ago, Rooster said:

Hi everyone, I just wanted to announce that my fiancée and I are going to be having our first baby early next year.  We are now about 4 months along, so we haven't learned the gender yet.  It is a bit scary to be having our baby in Japan, but it will be exciting to have a child to share my games with, too.  Any tips on what to expect?  Should I put my rare games in a high place that babies cant reach?

LEARNED THE GENDER?!!! REEEE!!!! /s

Seriously, congratulations. You got time before you have to worry about where to put your games. But just remember, kids climb. Height isn’t gonna do it. I remember a friends parents tried to do that to keep his little brother out of the snacks. Found the kid eating the snacks shortly after. Gotta find a way to lock your stuff up if you can.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rooster said:

Thanks for the comments and advice everybody!  I feel pretty nervous about the whole thing, but I am also excited to meet my baby in a few months. 

Congratulations Rooster!

It is totally normal, even GOOD for you to feel nervous at this point as it will help you to prepare for probably the biggest change that will happen in your life. It is very true, you will be working harder than you ever have before, you will be sleeping far less and your partner is going to be emotional, and there will be little let up or slack in this stress for at least a couple years. Money, of course, will be tighter, and there will be problems and challenges to face that you never even imagined you would up till this point.

HOWEVER, the great thing about having kids is that THEY give you all the motivation and extra energy and strength and emotional feeling you need to get over all these hurdles, with plenty left over to spare! You will love that little guy in a way you never thought possible, a feeling not for a cute kid, or a new family member, but for a part of YOU separate from your body but intrinsically emotionally and psycho-physiologically connected to the very core of your soul, or being or whatever you want to call it.

You would jump out of a plane to catch them, you would run into a burning building to save them, and you would happily clean up their shitty diaper for the third fucking time in a row at 3am every other night! One of these is actually going to happen, but for all of them you will have the internal strength and thoughtless, priceless, unconditional love and devotion and care to make yourself do those things, it seemingly comes out of nowhere, but once that feeling hits you will never live without it again, and it will make you stronger, better than you ever were before.

Well, I mean I'm just sharing my experience on it anyway! Kids suck, sometimes a lot, but having kids and being a parent absolutely does not. Feeling that love for them and seeing them grow and learn and develop and become their own little individual, having fun and just chilling out and spending time with them, getting interested in all the little silly things that excite them and make them happy. Man, I wouldn't change any of that for a second, and I have never once looked back and regretted any of it... Even at 3am covered in puke and shit (not even my own, lol)!

Good luck Rooster! It's gonna be tough but YOU are gonna be tougher! Godspeed. 👨‍👩‍👦

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Congratulations Rooster!

It is totally normal, even GOOD for you to feel nervous at this point as it will help you to prepare for probably the biggest change that will happen in your life. It is very true, you will be working harder than you ever have before, you will be sleeping far less and your partner is going to be emotional, and there will be little let up or slack in this stress for at least a couple years. Money, of course, will be tighter, and there will be problems and challenges to face that you never even imagined you would up till this point.

HOWEVER, the great thing about having kids is that THEY give you all the motivation and extra energy and strength and emotional feeling you need to get over all these hurdles, with plenty left over to spare! You will love that little guy in a way you never thought possible, a feeling not for a cute kid, or a new family member, but for a part of YOU separate from your body but intrinsically emotionally and psycho-physiologically connected to the very core of your soul, or being or whatever you want to call it.

You would jump out of a plane to catch them, you would run into a burning building to save them, and you would happily clean up their shitty diaper for the third fucking time in a row at 3am every other night! One of these is actually going to happen, but for all of them you will have the internal strength and thoughtless, priceless, unconditional love and devotion and care to make yourself do those things, it seemingly comes out of nowhere, but once that feeling hits you will never live without it again, and it will make you stronger, better than you ever were before.

Well, I mean I'm just sharing my experience on it anyway! Kids suck, sometimes a lot, but having kids and being a parent absolutely does not. Feeling that love for them and seeing them grow and learn and develop and become their own little individual, having fun and just chilling out and spending time with them, getting interested in all the little silly things that excite them and make them happy. Man, I wouldn't change any of that for a second, and I have never once looked back and regretted any of it... Even at 3am covered in puke and shit (not even my own, lol)!

Good luck Rooster! It's gonna be tough but YOU are gonna be tougher! Godspeed. 👨‍👩‍👦

I really appreciate your response.  It got deep in here!  I guess I can sit here and say I am nervous, or I am ready, or whatever, but I feel like no amount of planning is going to prepare me fully so I should just go with it and be as flexible as I can be.  Fortunately I like adversity.  Anyway, consider me motivated!  Being in Japan I've got some extra work to do, but it could be worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MachineCode said:

LEARNED THE GENDER?!!! REEEE!!!! /s

Seriously, congratulations. You got time before you have to worry about where to put your games. But just remember, kids climb. Height isn’t gonna do it. I remember a friends parents tried to do that to keep his little brother out of the snacks. Found the kid eating the snacks shortly after. Gotta find a way to lock your stuff up if you can.

Why did I know somebody was going to say something about gender? lol.  Maybe height will buy me some time until I figure out a really secure way to lock things up.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Congrats dude! Hardest and most rewarding thing you'll ever do. Best advice I can give is to just go with the flow. Instead of trying to make life what you think it should be, enjoy it for what it is.

That sounds like good advice, too.  That tends to be a hard one for me because I'm always trying to improve things, but I'll try to work on that.

• Like 1

Congrats!

Mine is leveled up to almost 2 and a half.  I might have gotten lucky, but my boy learned quickly what is Daddy's stuff and his stuff (mostly).  Originally i mounted my pricey flat screen up in the corner of our living room for safe usage and then had this elaborate plan to build shelving along the wall for my consoles (wanted to have this done by the time he could walk).

Flash forward to the ~2.5yr mark and my duder is awesome enough to not touch Daddy's PS4 Pro or his Switch like ever - which is well within his reach.

Now don't get me wrong, he gets into stuff, but a $10 set of baby locks on drawers worked shockingly well still to this day.  I definitely keep the majority of stuff out of his reach though.

The comment earlier about anchoring shelves and dressers and what not - that is crazy good advice (I think TV's can be too).  I used a nice budget friendly set of anchors from Amazon.

Don't let people freak you out about being a parent, it just takes getting a system in place and constantly adjusting as things evolve. 

I'm sure you already are, but pamper that Mama as she's gonna be going through hell (and will for some time if she nurses).  As wild as some women are, their maternal capabilities are mindblowing :).

• Like 2