Meme You Just Have to Share

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Unfortunately accurate.  

OSB.jpg

Jeez, is this still true?  My wife and I moved into a new house back in August that had a back deck on the second story.  The floor boards and the seating boards needed to be replaced.

I had a buddy professional handy man do the work, and he was having a tough time finding lumber.  He had to buy the wood in 3 trips, mostly because he couldn't find it and each purchase was seeing +50% spikes in prices.  He told me he would charge me what he quoted, but he showed me the wood receipts and I know he had to drive all over town to find the right lumber, so said he appreciated a tip.  I certainly compensated him because no one expected wood to triple in value in 3 weeks.

My point--this is still a problem?!  Wow.  Back in September the reason given for the shortage was COVID + wild fires in Oregon burning down building timber.  I know that wood doesn't grow over night, but a lot of places are starting to open back up with the vax rolling out.

56 minutes ago, RH said:

Jeez, is this still true?  My wife and I moved into a new house back in August that had a back deck on the second story.  The floor boards and the seating boards needed to be replaced.

I had a buddy professional handy man do the work, and he was having a tough time finding lumber.  He had to buy the wood in 3 trips, mostly because he couldn't find it and each purchase was seeing +50% spikes in prices.  He told me he would charge me what he quoted, but he showed me the wood receipts and I know he had to drive all over town to find the right lumber, so said he appreciated a tip.  I certainly compensated him because no one expected wood to triple in value in 3 weeks.

My point--this is still a problem?!  Wow.  Back in September the reason given for the shortage was COVID + wild fires in Oregon burning down building timber.  I know that wood doesn't grow over night, but a lot of places are starting to open back up with the vax rolling out.

Unfortunately yes.  I just recently completed a new project where I renovated our fireplace to make it more modern (and usable).  All of the supplies were purchased during the months of February and March of this year.  The picture below was early on, but this photograph includes $300 worth of lumber and plywood (including the leftover scrap, which wasn't much).

5.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 2

59 minutes ago, RH said:

Also, that was good of you to compensate him for the extra cost.  But that was really good of him to honor his original price.  That's definitely someone you want to keep in mind for future projects.  

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

Also, that was good of you to compensate him for the extra cost.  But that was really good of him to honor his original price.  That's definitely someone you want to keep in mind for future projects.  

It's the second time I've used him.  We had a lot of little odd jobs around our new home we wanted completed but the back deck was the biggest.  He also did all of the touch-up work in our former home before we listed it. He's always honest and IMHO under charges, so he's getting our future work for sure.

• Like 1