IGNORED

Instagram Raffles, your thoughts on them.

Psychobear85

I recently joined up on Instagram to follow Funko cause I want to get all The Office PoP‘s and that way I know the drop dates, since I have no other social media I decided on this platform. From there I decided to follow a few friends I have in the video game scene and people started to follow me back. I started to noticed these raffles and thinking it my self “Why are people dumb enough to join these and if they are fixed somehow. 

How do you guys feel about this? it’s probably not new but to me it is and I find it ridiculous.  

Even if some were on the up and up, enough scams exist that there is no way of being sure that the one you enter is legit.

Raffles themselves are shaky enough grounds legal wise. There's a reason NintendoAge banned them, and why they are banned here.

Edited by Tulpa

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Even if some were on the up and up, enough scams exist that there is no way of being sure that the one you enter is legit.

Raffles themselves are shaky enough grounds legal wise. There's a reason NintendoAge banned them, and why they are banned here.

Yup, was around NA for a long time so I remember that 

If you pick someone who does them often and live-streams the raffle pick, there isn't much risk.

I'm biased because I actually won the very first raffle I entered!  I got a New Nintendo 3DS for $10.  However, I know that every time I enter another raffle, I'm increasing my average cost without increasing my likelihood of winning, so I quickly became pretty picky about which ones I join.

I used to do a raffle of sorts on NA that wasn't actually a real raffle because it was free to play and just like with an Auction, only the winner was asked to pay for the item. I called it the Low-baller Raffle Auction and the intention was that you could get a decent item for a low price simply based on luck. However, if you were willing to pay more for the item, then you would post in the thread requesting for more entries. ie, 1 entry = $5,  so your "bid" was how many entries were you wiling to pay for if your name ultimately got picked.  I used a public online randomizer so anyone could see the results of the drawing afterwards. 

I stopped doing it because I don't have as many cool items to give away for low prices these days. But still a fun idea for VGS to consider, where the winning item $$$ goes back into the site.

4 hours ago, jonebone said:

People use it as a way to mark up their item. Cant sell for $100? Let's do 15 tickets at $10 each! And people actually do them too.

This is my main problem with them.  Otherwise, If you know/trust the person running them well enough then the raffle itself should be ok.  I don't mind buying a lottery ticket for something if the total money taken in is commensurate with the value of it.