IGNORED

Jedi: Fallen Order

Gloves

23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I might actually bump up the difficulty to max, I'm playing on the second hardest and while it's kinda tough, I'd like it to feel almost realistic if possible. 

I may do the same as I left it at default and really hadn't had any problems aside falling off shit not really seeing where to go, but I do like the fact it resets within a few seconds if I do fuck up. What battles I have encountered was pretty easy for the most part.

I started playing this the other night. I like it a lot. I haven’t really played any of the modern games that inspired it, so the medium difficulty is good for me. Any ideas on how to practice the mechanics besides the original tutorial? I need to work on fighting multiple enemies at once and toggling targets. I’m not quite comfortable with that yet.

11 hours ago, fox said:

Star Wars is on the naughty list

EA is on the naughty list

But Respawn are cool.  Titanfall 2’s campaign is super underrated.

No rush to stuff EAs pockets,  might rent or pick it up used after the holidays when it’s $20

I agree with you, but then I turned around my thinking. I don’t typically buy anything EA, and I have been disappointed with almost everything Star Wars for awhile now. However, I started thinking I’d this game is good, which it is, we should show EA that they will be rewarded for creating good games. That way they may change their philosophy.

I want to like the game. Much like a Souls game the combat annoys me. The animations are too slow to recover from some enemies. Then when fighting multiple, the storm troopers with the batons for instance, I will get hit from the back while countering another enemy.

I do like the story and am enjoying exploring the different planets looking for all the hidden boxes and areas. 

Edited by themisfit138

On 11/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, DoctorEncore said:

I'm really looking forward to this. Playing Outer Worlds right now, but it's a tossup between Control and Fallen Order for my next adventure.

I just picked up the Outer Worlds. I will play through it before I go back to Jedi Fallen Order. I like the Fallout style game play more than Souls style.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

I just picked up the Outer Worlds. I will play through it before I go back to Jedi Fallen Order. I like the Fallout style game play more than Souls style.

I'm the opposite, but I've been bouncing back and forth between those two games, and the new Need For Speed. 

• 4 weeks later...

Almost completed Fallen Order. A pretty good game. Playing on a base PS4 it does tend to have the freezing while loading issue on Kashyyyk. Haven’t noticed this issue on the other planets. 

Speaking of glitches I got to the final level on Outer Worlds and had to quit. When I came back a few hours later none of my saves will load. Even saves not on the last level. 

1 hour ago, themisfit138 said:

Almost completed Fallen Order. A pretty good game. Playing on a base PS4 it does tend to have the freezing while loading issue on Kashyyyk. Haven’t noticed this issue on the other planets. 

Speaking of glitches I got to the final level on Outer Worlds and had to quit. When I came back a few hours later none of my saves will load. Even saves not on the last level. 

This would totally bum me out, but at least it's a game that has a ton of replay value if you're not totally disheartened.

10 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

This would totally bum me out, but at least it's a game that has a ton of replay value if you're not totally disheartened.

I will play it again. I have other games to finish now though. Then by time I get back to Outer Worlds maybe that glitch will be patched out.   

• Like 1

I picked it up about two weeks ago and got in a relative few hours since?  So far I've mostly enjoyed it but am a bit annoyed with its habit of making you take a lot of not obvious paths that can be a real PITA but super simple once you get beyond that point and pick up a new Force power.  Can't really complain, though, as I got it for like $20 out of a Redbox kiosk (since they're getting out of gaming), so good investment on a relatively brand new game at the very least.

Might be taking some time out from this for a while.  I got to spend a good portion of the morning and early afternoon getting back into this (had last saved it just after "completing" Zeffo the first time and being told to head to Kashyyk), but fear that I'm stuck well and good at the moment.  I played through the first run of Kashyyk, went back to Zeffo, then finished that to go back to Kashyyk, climbed to the tippy top of the Origin Tree and and am now seemingly permanently stuck at the ridiculously unfair and OP Ninth Sister fight.  Every time it seems like I make some progress in the fight, all of a sudden I'm beaten to death (while blocking) in just a couple of hits, and non-unblockable/red ones at that.  About the 10th time through I just powered off the PS4 after getting annihilated, before the "Respawn" message could come up.  Would like to continue through the game, but not having any fun at all at what I'm seeing as more and more ridiculously OP boss fights, most of which seem to be based primarily off of luck moreso than skill.

I beat the Ninth Sister in my first attempt, so I don't remember what's bad/hard/unfair about it? IIRC you don't even need to take her HP down to zero.

Honestly, trying to deflect physical attacks never worked well to me. I played on Jedi Master (the second-highest difficulty) and the window for parries is still super huge, but outside of the lag already induced by my TV, it seems like you need to press the button quite a good while before the attack connects for it to count as a parry, and any later will make you take a hit. So to be safe, it's better to just press it early and simply block the attack in a worst-case-scenario.

That said, I rarely relied on blocks at all, outside of blaster shots. The final boss was actually really hard to me at first, but after realizing that just sticking to dodging and also using jumping to get closer safely was much more effective than trying to wear down its stamina, it became way more manageable.

For any non-"jedi" fight, abusing force powers is super effective. Especially the throw upgrade that allows you to push enemies away. It can disable huge groups of enemies, outright kill some weaker ones, and if there's an edge you can throw them off (which there often is), you can take them out without even fighting them.
But even with the basic unupgraded "slow down" skill that you start the game with, you can get in free hits on any enemy type no matter how tricky they are.

I agree with the earlier posts that claim Jedi Master still feels way too easy. Sure I died now and then, but none of the fights really had much of an impact, or felt like a challenge I needed to outwit. I considered increasing the difficulty to the max, but I never did. I had a feeling it would probably make the game a lot more frustrating than it should, because combat just isn't anywhere near as well designed as the Souls games which it for some inexplicable reason got a lot of comparisons to.
In general I think I played extremely poorly, usually just mashing away mindlessly, and still made it through unscathed - you get more than enough healing stimpacks, and checkpoints are spread out very liberally.

That said, I really thoroughly enjoyed the game. It feels like a return to the straight up, carefree design of PS2/GC era console games, similar to the Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy, etc. Something I never imagined I'd find myself nostalgic for.
While it's kind of annoying that all the secrets of the game are mostly pointless (ponchos, paintjobs and buttons for your lightsaber? ok) I really appreciated how the designers made a point out of not making the game about grinding for gear and numbers like most modern games do. It's a completely skimmed experience, sticking only to the core elements they decided to base the game around, and not a bunch of other unnecessary AAA bullshit.

Edited by Sumez

• 2 months later...

I played it and enjoyed it. I enjoyed the story and never really got bored playing it. I hope the sequel will refine some of its technical flaws.

The combat seems a little off to me. I’ve never played the Souls games, so I’m looking forward to now playing Dark Souls Remastered in my Switch.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got back to and finished this game. I'd rate it a solid 7/10, although it's heavily marred by technical flaws. I played on Xbox One X and the frame rate and frame timing issues are pretty unforgivable for such a powerful machine. 

For those who haven't played the game and might still be interested, it's probably worth a go if you generally enjoy action/adventure games. I'd describe it as a cross between Dark Souls, Metroid Prime, and Uncharted/Tomb Raider. For me, the exploration was by far the most enjoyable part of the game, although fast travel is sorely needed. The story is about as generic a tale as exists in the Star Wars universe and entirely revolves around a McGuffin. The characters are mediocre outside of Trilla and Merrin who are both only given minimal screentime.

I also found the combat to be pretty weak and unenjoyable. The fact that you need to use your very limited force power for a simple heavy attack really discourages experimentation with different combo and fighting styles. The upgrade pathways are also poorly thought out, requiring too many points just to add standard attacks.

Lastly, the sliding portions of the game are atrocious and buggy. I can't count the number of times I had to redo these sections due to oversteering/understeering or my character falling through the edge of the slide.

But even with all these critiques, the game still ends up being a lot of fun and surprisingly addictive. The exploration is really enjoyable and, when everything lines up right, the force powers make you feel like an actual Jedi. It just feels like the developers were working on all these different little pieces of a game, but didn't actually put them together until 6 months before launch, leaving no time for polish.

I think a sequel could be fantastic.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Thanks 1