IGNORED

Game Debate #159: Deathloop

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• The title was changed to Game Debate #159: Deathloop
16 minutes ago, fox said:

I want to like this a lot more than I do but I can’t seem to gel with these immersive sims 😟

I haven't played it (and not sure I ever will). Is Deathloop considered an immersive sim? That's one of my personal favorite genres (Ultima Underworld, System Shock 1 & 2, Thief 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Dead Space, Dishonored, Prey) but I guess I hadn't followed Deathloop closely enough to get that vibe from it.

Edited by Webhead123

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Webhead123 said:

I haven't played it (and not sure I ever will). Is Deathloop considered an immersive sim? That's one of my personal favorite genres (Ultima Underworld, System Shock 1 & 2, Thief 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Dead Space, Dishonored, Prey) but I guess I hadn't followed Deathloop closely enough to get that vibe from it.

Arkane.  Same guys that did Prey and Dishonored.

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Arkane.  Same guys that did Prey and Dishonored.

Ah. Okay. I'll have to take a closer look then, just in case. I heard some not-so-flattering opinions on Deathloop overall. If it's by Arkane, I wonder why that is. I know it's a niche genre and not everyone is cool enough to dig it but Prey and Dishonored were both mostly appreciated, even if not blockbusters. Curious.

On 6/20/2023 at 1:14 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

...call it a companion to the Juneteenth "Debate" thread. 😅

where's the "I see what you did there" reaction?

Anyway, this game is too new for me to care about it, so it gets the Never Played Never Will score.

Edited by koifish

On 6/20/2023 at 6:10 PM, Webhead123 said:

Given that list of games, it would prob be right up your aisle.

9 hours ago, fox said:

Given that list of games, it would prob be right up your aisle.

Yeah, I took a second look at it as a result of this thread and I think I may have to pick it up when it goes on deep sale and give it a spin. It seems the initial negative feedback the game got on release was largely due to performance issues on some platforms, which has been mostly remedied now. The concept sounds interesting and though Arkane's outings aren't my favorite of the immersive sims, I have definitely appreciated their designs. If nothing else, they know how to expertly weave detailed settings with lots of interesting lore.

I guess my one concern is about the Invader/Intruder mechanic where other players can drop in on your game. Is that a mandatory thing or can it be turned off to make the game strictly solo? I haven't come across a clear answer to that and yeah...I'd just prefer to play this style of game without the annoyance of dealing with other players.

Edited by Webhead123

On 6/20/2023 at 6:55 PM, fox said:

I want to like this a lot more than I do but I can’t seem to gel with these immersive sims 😟

6/10 based on what I've played so far.

I'm feeling you man. You are like my kindred spirit when it comes to game opinions.

This game just isn't doing it for me. I've been working on it for months and I literally never feel excited to play it. The world is somewhat interesting, but I don't care about the characters at all and I'm not that curious about what's really going on. Even though there are several different levels with layouts that change with the time of day, it feels really small and repetitive. I wouldn't even say it's doing anything particularly unique and the things it does do well are still done better elsewhere. I can't for the life of me figure out why it reviewed so well. On the flipside, I completely understand why it didn't make much of a splash with the average gamer. It takes a while to get going and some of the systems feel needlessly complex and punishing, perhaps just to pad out the length of the game. That's not to say the game is particularly hard; you could even say it's pretty forgiving since you get a few "lives" every day, but for some reason dying and losing progress in this game is incredibly frustrating compared to most other games. I know it's not really a rogue-lite, but it compares very poorly to something like Returnal which makes repetition tolerable and even fun.

It makes me concerned I might not be that interested in Arkane's other well-regarded games.

Edited by DoctorEncore

6 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

It makes me concerned I might not be that interested in Arkane's other well-regarded games.

I can't speak to direct comparisons to Death Loop but I do think both Dishonored and Prey are acquired tastes. I came to Dishonored from being a big, big fan of Looking Glass Studios' games, particularly the Thief series and while in some ways it feels like an homage to those titles...in other ways it is very (occasionally polarizingly) different. What I can say is that it feels like Arkane always starts with a high concept and then builds a sandbox to let the player explore those ideas. Freedom of player choice seems to be a big part of their style, letting you solve problems or approach situations they way *you* want to. If there's a downside to this, I think some of their ideas don't always come together as well in practice as they might in concept.

I enjoyed Dishonored but also had some non-trivial issues with it. It's no Thief 2: The Metal Age but it was a solid experience and maybe a 7.5 out of 10. I haven't finished Prey but it's also a game that feels both compelling and frustrating at times. Prey seems like even more of a sandbox than Dishonored but there's something about it that feels just a touch...pretentious maybe...or perhaps obtuse for the sake of trying to be "psychoanalytical" or something. Not quite on the level of Jonathan Blow or anything like that but it still seems to have an air about it that is trying to be artsy-fartsy. Or, at least, that's the vibes I was getting.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Thanks 1